SL3 stove?

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I agree it'll be tight but with a small stove I feel it can work. I'm not sure how close the stove can be to the material. Should I go with it in the center with the pipe running up beside the pole or cheat it over to the side more to give me more room?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would put it closer to the center pole, maybe 6"-10" away. This will serve the keep the stove away from the sidewalls and also maximize the amount of pipe you have inside the shelter, which means you will get more heat from it. Keeping the stove body and pipe away from the silnylon tent is a real consideration, silnylon is not heat resistant at all and will melt or burn.

As others have said, I think a stove, even in small one is going to be pretty tight in an SL3. You can likely get away with it for a single person and their gear, but I think trying to sleep 2 adults in there with the stove would be pushing it. Stoves eat up space in a shelter quickly. Besides the physical space they take up, when they are burning hot you won't want to be much closer than a foot away. Because the backpacking stoves are small, you end up using small wood, which burns really quickly, so you will likely end up with a pile of sticks inside the shelter so you can continually feed the stove. You can put the wood outside the shelter, but then you have to constantly be opening the door which let's out a lot of your heat. Silnylon shelters don't retain warmth very well anyway, so minimizing door openings helps maximize your warmth inside, Not a deal breaker either, but just another thing to consider.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. This is going to be for me only. I used the tent last year with my daughter and there's no way I could fit a stove in there with 2 people.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. This is going to be for me only. I used the tent last year with my daughter and there's no way I could fit a stove in there with 2 people.

Chad44, keep me posted what you come up with---I have been entertaining that concept with my SL3 and I also would be running it solo.

Randy

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
The youtube video that Andy posted was a good one to see for me. I'm just not sure about that elbow he used. I'd probably do like Becca said and run the pipe up just a few inches off my pole. The tigoat wifi looks pretty sweet to me for this.

ok hill

FNG
I put a stove in a SL3. I mainly solo hunt, but you could get a second person in with the stove, but NOT 2 people and gear. Regardless, 2 would be tight. I bought a stove jack from Ti Goat and had it sewn at the peak on the panel to the right of the door as you look at it from outside. I made the stove, it's similar to other roll ups out on the market. I place the stove right next to the center pole and run the 6 foot pipe next to the pole and connect the two together with by twisting a couple pieces of wire. I love the set up for solo hunting and the total weight comes in at 6 pounds for tent,stove,pipe combined I hope this helps.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Ok hill, any pics of the set up? I'm curious about the stove too. I've seen titanium on tigoat so I'm looking for ideas. Thanks