Skyscraper 2 vs cimmaron

As a tent to use in 4 seasons, which one are you picking? Currently have a cimm that I had some condensation issues with and considering going to sg. Want the most durable tent since I’m in all 4 seasons. What do you guys think?

I havent had my SkyScraper 2 in any snow yet but I've been using it since 2020 and I love it. INterested to see the other feedback - I chose the SG over the Cimmaron and the Hilliberg back in 2020.

Good luck!

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold my Cimarron and ordered a SkyScraper 2p last week.

I spent 7 days in the Cimarron last month. The first 3 days were unseasonably warm so the bugs were out of control. the next 3 days were wind and rain. Condensation was awful, and when the rip stop gets wet it sags, so I was constantly adjusting stakes between rain to keep the flapping to a minimum. Meanwhile, my buddy was snug as a bug in a rug next to me in his BA copper spur.

In addition, I don’t find there is nearly as much space in the Cimarron as the forum members tout. 2 with gear is nearly as cramped as a conventional 2-3p tent, and I still can’t stand up straight. I also don’t use the stove feature of the floorless shelter which really defeats the purpose. After adding the weight of a nest, I was over the 5lb mark anyways so I decided to switch.

I haven’t had an opportunity to use the SkyScraper yet, but the ole’ living room test has me feeling like I made the right choice.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Skyscraper is a solid tent, nice and vertical sides on the inner tent. The solid body is nice, and it has good ventilation as well as condensation protection. It’s broad across the top, and can collect snow there, but it’s damn strong.

It’s a Slingfin design - I’d spend some time on their site to see how they do things, their blog is quite informative…..it’s different, in a good way. Very flexible design you can make work all seasons.

The new SG solus tent is the Slingfin hotbox design - may be a better choice for a solo plus four season tent? It’s shorter, alpine bivy tent design.

OP
T
I just sold my Cimarron and ordered a SkyScraper 2p last week.

I spent 7 days in the Cimarron last month. The first 3 days were unseasonably warm so the bugs were out of control. the next 3 days were wind and rain. Condensation was awful, and when the rip stop gets wet it sags, so I was constantly adjusting stakes between rain to keep the flapping to a minimum. Meanwhile, my buddy was snug as a bug in a rug next to me in his BA copper spur.

In addition, I don’t find there is nearly as much space in the Cimarron as the forum members tout. 2 with gear is nearly as cramped as a conventional 2-3p tent, and I still can’t stand up straight. I also don’t use the stove feature of the floorless shelter which really defeats the purpose. After adding the weight of a nest, I was over the 5lb mark anyways so I decided to switch.

I haven’t had an opportunity to use the SkyScraper yet, but the ole’ living room test has me feeling like I made the right choice.
I can’t stand the sag, every time I’ve had bad weather my bag has gotten wet from condensation. I think the stove is so awesome to be able to wake up to, but that’s the only reason I like the cim. I wish SG has a stove Jack in the tent. Still think I’ll make the switch though.

EcoastDG

FNG
I have the Skyscraper and have used it on a couple backpacking hunting trips and also on some regular camping trips in different weather conditions and terrain. I love the tent, however, if you line up the vents as instructed in SG's video, it can be an issue. I have had water leak into the main tent twice during downpours (Montana/Idaho). After that I have been pitching the rain fly with vents on opposite sides and have not had an issue.
I like the tent and will keep using it as long as it can hold up. I got it after trying to pitch a Seek Outside Silvertip in a freak Colorado blizzard a few years back. Good times

I recently got a Gen 1 stone glacier from a guy off here. I’m impressed how strong it is. I was comparing it with a Seek Outside Eolus. The Eolus is lighter but in a storm or extreme winds I would want the Stone Glacier. Is there anyone with a Gen 1 that has had issues with condensation in the Stone Glacier?