Skin on or skin off when field dressing Elk?

Colby3

FNG
Watching Fred Eichler on youtube field dress an elk in less than 10 min with the skin on. He likes it that way because it keeps the meat much cleaner. Any opinions one way or the other?

Yooper

WKR
I think it would depend on the time of the year for me. September and it's warm that skin is coming off for sure to help with cooling. Later in the year I could see leaving it on I suppose.

Poser

WKR
I've done hide on quarters once -it was super dry and dusty, pitch black, late at night, cold and the animals was piled up in a super awkward position. -pulled the quarters off and laid them on the dusty ground for the night.

In most situations, the hide is going to need to come off anyway, might as well remove it asap and, unless its particularly cold, cooling is going to be a priority.

go_deep

WKR
Never packed an elk or with hide on, even the couple we've killed within a few hundred yards of the truck.

cnelk

WKR
Done it both ways - depends on time of day, if its November and snow, and my general mood at the time

wytx

WKR
Hide comes off in the walk in, helps keep the meat clean. Or it stays son while aging, less dry loss.
You would be surprised at how much cooling happens just laying those quarters up off the ground with the hide on.
Shot cows in the heat one Sept and we had a mile back to the atv to haul them out. Gutless with hide on we layed them across some sage bushes in the sun- no shade.
By the time we got back with the atv the meat was cool to the touch.
Back at the walkin the hide came off and the meat was already cooling at the bone.

Have never packed out meat with the hide off except for the boneless trimmings.

WCB

WKR
Packing with animals and I don't have to cut up or process...leave the skin on. Other skin off...it is much easier fresh and less weight on my back.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hide on until on meatpole. Once on pole skin and bag repeat x 4. After legs off peal hide back get back straps, neck and rib flank. Roll and do other side, then decide how to get tendies and organs if wanted. IMO keeping hide on initially before skinning will keep things much cleaner and a lot less hair to clean up if taking the hide off when standing / kneeling over an animal often in a bad position &or by yourself. It is not a race and taking a little more time will serve you well later both in quality and time. Also will say I’ve seen some nasty meat taken to meat cutters in past decades don’t understand that.

Attachments

• P9290606-001.jpeg
    P9290606-001.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 107
  • P1011959-001.jpeg
    P1011959-001.jpeg
    739.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P1010986-001.jpeg
    P1010986-001.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010959-001.jpeg
    P1010959-001.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
Hide off while still attached and use a mylar blanket to lay the meat on to keep clean. This is the easiest/fastest way if you gutless/debone. If the quarters come off first it makes hide removal slower/harder.

CA Deer.jpg

Different when you can basically dr4ive the truck up to it. If you are packing those quarters miles out of the backcountry, hide on is also just additional weight that I wouldn't want to carry.
Bingo.
I've never considered leaving the hide on for weight alone. Maybe if you have horses or are close to the truck but I've never been that lucky.