Sitting water

Muleys88

FNG
How do you guys pick what water hole might be most effective? Have 2 days to hunt a new area, but 4 different water holes that seem very similar. Any different tips to pick one over the other?

Attachments

• IMG_1273.png
    IMG_1273.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1272.png
    IMG_1272.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1271.png
    IMG_1271.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1270.png
    IMG_1270.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
I would pick the one with the most fresh sign and the one that has most cover close to it. Elk do water at more open tanks but usually more so during the night or close to it. Ones with more trees close by and cover are visited more often during the day. At least in my experience.

Poser

WKR
From my experience in CO, if elk aren't bedded immediately in proximity of the water you are interested in, then you likely won't see them there in the daylight. I'm sure its different in drier states such as UT, AZ and NM and drier areas in general, but, if they don't need to travel any distance to water, then they won't and CO mountains tend to have lots of water.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
A trail camera would be the best bet but if it is too late for that then just check for fresh sign. I think it really depends on the number of water sources available in the area. Where I hunt, there are very few water sources and sitting water is an excellent strategy. It seems that the evenings are more consistent than the mornings. Sometimes, the elk water before daylight in the mornings. I would pick whichever site is the only available option for the largest area provided there is fresh sign. In other words, if 3 of the 4 water holes are in fairly close proximity to each other but the 4th water hole is a mile away from any other water then that would be my choice.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I'd try to find a wallow before sitting little ponds. Bulls in my area are already hitting the wallows hard.

OP
M

Muleys88

FNG
A trail camera would be the best bet but if it is too late for that then just check for fresh sign. I think it really depends on the number of water sources available in the area. Where I hunt, there are very few water sources and sitting water is an excellent strategy. It seems that the evenings are more consistent than the mornings. Sometimes, the elk water before daylight in the mornings. I would pick whichever site is the only available option for the largest area provided there is fresh sign. In other words, if 3 of the 4 water holes are in fairly close proximity to each other but the 4th water hole is a mile away from any other water then that would be my choice.
Perfect! Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I’m hitting the outlier first.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I didn't see that. Cows hit wallows often too. I have dozens of pictures of cows cooling off in wallows. They will lay there for a long time on hot days.

cnelk

WKR
Here's a little grassy opening with a trickle of water I put a trail cam on.

My son missed the bigger bull opening evening that year as the herd came in to drink and eat

Spots like these are money

IdahoBeav

WKR
If the holes are all tracked up at water edge, trail cams showing activity in the days immediately prior will help. There is a good chance that the elk are hitting all 4 water holes, and you'll be playing craps for two days.

Marble

WKR
Maybe be set up near the water hole, from a distance where you won't be detected, a few hours before dark, just listening to see if you hear any talk. Then maybe set up at the water source nearest to where the talk was.

Just know the elk aren't dumb. They often approach water sources from down wind and will circle down wind and hang out for a while prior to drinking.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
And I'll add, be careful with putting too much activity in the area. That can make them not return for a period of time.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I'm with Coveyleader, when I find a lot of those honey holes the wind swirls like mad, which is why there is so much sign in there, they know their safe.

I stay above it on a ridge when possible.