Sitka Traverse + Solid color discussion

Lyeatman

FNG
2 different questions here

1. Does anyone use black as a hunting solid? It seems to be the easiest “around town color“ to double as a hunting solid, but with animals seeing black and white does anyone prefer/use black in their hunting pallet? I’m not sure what the difference in green and black are via the science aspect of these two options.

2. Does anyone own the Traverse jacket? I’m looking for a piece to fit over an Apex Hoodie for late September elk. I see the Ambient and the traverse. Not sure if either are worth it, or just throw the Patagonia puffy in the bag with the Jetstream jacket and call it a trip and save a few hundred bucks.

Also, if anyone could tell me if it’s going to rain on me while on my trip it would/could save me the purchase of a rain jacket. I have a cheap one or two, but I know when you are in the wilderness for 10 days going to the store isn’t an option…

I have a traverse in subalpine and one in black. I wouldn’t say black is my favorite solid color but it works in the woods. I have to imagine it is going to be easier for a critter to pick out a black blob vs a brown blob but who knows. I guess it really depends on what and how you are hunting. Turkey? Nope. Box blind deer? Great.

overall, The traverse is great. Love both of mine and wore the hell out of them the last two years. Very warm and very breathable. It has become my favorite mid to late season piece for short hunts. A bit to warm for early archery and not warm enough for late, late season cold stand sits but great in between. It will breath better than your jetstream and is warmer too. It weighs a bit more and isn’t as wind and rain resistant though. It probably wouldn’t be the first jacket I would grab for a long backcountry hunt where weight is a key consideration. However, I wouldn’t completely cross it off the list. You’ll need something over it for more than light rain.

I love my traverse. Have one I subalpine and one in black now. Wear them a ton ice fishing, hunting, around town, on the couch. Wifey stold the black one and wears it like a bath robe around the house. Things are like snuggling up with your favorite blanket. If you are looking at the new traverse, the grey isn't bad to hunt in. Buddy shot his deer this year in one at ground level sitting against the base of a pine tree. I guess the grey matched ok or the deer was sick of the BS and wanted it all to just end....

dtrkyman

WKR
Probably not a big deal but black is the last thing I would wear in the woods personally, it just stands out too much for me. Only plus is when it's cold it is nice in the sun!

Brown or OD for me in solids.

Probably not a big deal but black is the last thing I would wear in the woods personally, it just stands out too much for me. Only plus is when it's cold it is nice in the sun!

Brown or OD for me in solids.
I have a hard time with grey too. Not like there isn't grey or black out there but man I feel like I stick out

I have a few Gradient pieces from the duck line and like them a lot.

Sitka Black pieces have been really nice for me steelhead fishing. I’m starting to replace a quite a few Simms pieces for Sitka.

I like a lot of my older simms gear I have!
They have become hit or miss for me, lately. I really like their shell pieces that aren’t billboards, but that’s getting harder to find from them. Their layering pieces used to be much higher quality, though! I do have my eye on their newest Fjord pant. Back to Polartec fabric with this iteration!

I have two traverse jackets, subalpine and black. Wore the black during rifle in Montana a couple of years ago. Didn't seem to affect anything blending in wise and we were wearing blaze orange vests anyway. Super warm, but breathable. I wear the black one at home alot if I'm hiking or other strenuous actvities and it stays really comfortable. I will say that after being out west for a couple of seasons, gray, brown and tan are my preferred solid colors. I dont worry too much about the camo unless its bow season.

I have the black Traverse jacket. Wearing it now as I type this :) . Overall, it's nice, but I found myself between sizes L and M, so I went with the M (I'm 5'9, 170). I use this mostly around town, and reserve my subalpine and khaki colors for the field. I'm sure you'd be fine wearing black while hunting; really, it is movement more than anything else that causes you to be seen. As far as Sitka, I've been a little disappointed in the durability. It seems like they wear and tear WAY easier than my crappy no-name brand gear.