Sitka stormfront vs thunderhead pants

I was wondering if anyone has experience with either the stormfront or thunderhead pants in brush and marshland when stocking. Durable? Is the stormfront that loud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own the stormfronts. As for how loud they are is relative. They do make more noise than my obsidians or my Cottonwoods. I would not be stalking anything in my rain pants unless it was raining or I had a nice wind to help cover my noise.
Durable? Hell yes. The 2019 line has the reinforced knees making them even tougher.
Are they a great piece of rain gear? Yup
Are they great for stalking? Ehh. Remember Sitka will repair the pants at a "reasonable" fee. Which is better than dropping 600$ again for pants.

sfc2140

FNG
I bought the stormfronts last season. They worked great for me. Through the rain and snow they kept me dry to the bone. They are super easy to remove. The sound from the pants didn't bother me since I was in rifle season I was consistently far enough out from deer that it was a non issue.

I have a lot of Sitka clothing and one thing I can attest to is the durability. I have trekked through some thick brush deep in Idaho and my gear looks brand new no snags, tears or any failures of any kind.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got the thunderheads last year with some Cabela dollars love the full length zips and they are durable and waterproof and pretty quite as well get a thumbs up👍

My partner and I did a kodiak goat hunt 2 years ago. During that trip I had bought the stormfronts and after consideration of the two he got the thunderhead. For him the thunderhead made more sense because he was getting back into whitetail hunting.

Besides the brush fabric on the thunderhead they also have less pockets than the stormfronts, I believe just hip pockets compared to the hip and thighs of the stormfronts. They did also dry slower due to the brush fabric. Other than those 2 differences they worked as well as can be expected and survived bush whacking through the alder hell of the lower altitudes.

I don't know if their is a price difference but they used to make the exact pant of the thunderhead in the white tail line up but phased it out after the thunderhead. You might be able to find some discount or used pieces around the internet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Archer86

WKR
I run the thunderhead pants and jacket in the jungles of the western washington coast and have not had any problems with them getting tore up in the thick stuff and have always been dry in bad storms. The seam to be quiet compared to most. I think the whitetail line up new yoraska is talking about is the downpour I believe. I have some friends that have that as well and works just fine in the brush they have not had any issues with it either