SITKA Mountain EVO jacket, Review **Updated 9/20/23**

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just got home from AZ otc deer and NM Barbary sheep. It is windy as hell right now in southern NM and the Evo was perfect for 35-50 degrees and 25-35 winds.

Pramo

WKR
That's a great deal, it really is a good jacket. I sweat a ton and get cold from the wind so it was a perfect piece for active hunting. Most of my elk season was a base layer t-shirt and evo when hiking in the dark, it was perfect to get the cold wind off me and still breath. Then when I'm not running around throw on a puffy type layer and I'm good

Big Sitka fan here and have a ton of their stuff, but a great jacket for blocking the wind is the Marmot Infinium ROM. Just a Sitka alternative.

I wore mine every day on a 12 day Dall hunt last year and loved it. Highly versatile and I rarely took it off. Only thing I noticed after so much constant wear is that it developed a very slight plastic smell when it got super wet

Blandry

WKR
I just picked one of these up on the season-end deals (which I typically do at 50% off for sitka stuff), which is still in effect btw if anyone is interested. Regarding sizing.. it is a super athletic fit, so I sized up to the XXL at 6' 220, but typically lose about 20 lbs in the summer. I'm still glad I got the XXL. It's perfect imo. It's going to be great paired with the ambient jacket underneath.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I'll see what I can find out. I thought they had discontinued (of what I thought was a success) the Ambient, but they just refined it a bit—hopefully the same thing w the Evo

I wonder how the feedback was on the ventilation panels. I really liked mine the first few outings and it really shined on a 25 mile ruck march challenge earlier in the year with low temps and a bit of mist. It seemed like that piece was designed for that day.

Flash forward a couple more outings and I still like mine but have been blasted by strong winds in the back when not wearing a pack. That great back ventilation with a pack comes at a cost of sorts. It’s led me to grab some of my other shells for certain outings over the Evo.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I can definitely see that; if it's breathable on the back (which it is) w/ no pack it's going to be a lot more breathable and too breathable w/ the right (wrong) weather

I love mine for a primary outer layer but yes, after a long hike to a spot when you stop to glass I get cold pretty dang quick from that back panel

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka discontinues a lot of models only to reissue a tweaked version the next year. Granted some do go away at times but I'd expect the Evo to be around another year or two before a major update or replacement

I don’t know about that, seems too close to a rain jacket.
True, I’m definitely not a product designer so I’m honestly not sure what the best options would be. I really do like the DWR and durability of the evo as primary layer. But the massive back panel can be a deal breakers in some cold windy situations as I don’t like to glass with my pack on.