Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the piece definitely works; I think they'd sell more if they offered in long and short-sleeved versions

good idea with wind layer underneath! :D

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I used a timmer made alpha hoody with sitka core light weight hoody over the top

I found this to be more versatile than sitkas shacket
@Elkangle does the Sitka core lightweight hoody not compress the Timmermade Alpha below it?

Have you tried it the other way around, with the alpha hoody on top of the core hoody? What differences did you notice between those two setups?

What temps are you comfy in with the alpha hoody + Sitka core hoody?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I purchased the Active Hoody prior to the season and got to wear it several times prior to season and more recently deer/elk hunting.

The Good: Polartec Alpha is the king of the mountain in active insulation- it provides good warmth for weight, breathes extremely well and dries quickly. I've owned no less than a half dozen Polartec Alpha garments and the key to these garments is what fabric they add (or don't add) to the Alpha. The other key is how much Alpha is used- it comes in varying weights. What I've found is several garments used fabric that is not breathable in conjunction with the Alpha- making it decently warm, but doesn't breathe or dry quickly, rendering unacceptable as active insulation garment. Sitka nailed it with the weight of the insulation, but more importantly with the fabric. On the interior it's "naked" Alpha this is exactly what it should be- too many manufacturers try to line the Alpha, usually resulting in garment that doesn't breathe well. In fact Sitka's Active jacket is lined, not a smart move imo. To the crucial outer fabric- again Sitka nailed it with this. It provides protection to the Alpha (it's a little too delicate to have a hunting garment with straight Alpha), but it allows the entire garment to breathe.

I've found it very comfortable on the move in the 30's and 40's with just a light base layer. If it's extremely arduous (climbing steep uphill), into the 20's. Again this garment breathes very well, which means if it's very windy- you'll need a windshirt or the like over it.

The hood is perfect. Fits closely and is adjustable. I love using the hood to regulate my temps- too chilly, throw the hood up, too warm, pull it off. It has a decent length zipper to help augment temp regulation as well.

The overall fit is athletic, layers over a light base base layer perfectly, but trim enough to layer over the top of it too.

The Bad: the sleeves are half length. I think this was in deference to archery hunters who don't want any bulk on their forearms. I'm not a archery hunter, so not sure how critical this is. It's a thin garment, so full sleeves shouldn't be much of an issue.

I looked at the jacket, but it doesn't have a hood- that's non starter for me. Also as mentioned above- it has a fabric liner; I really think one of the reasons that Active Hoody performs so well is the "naked" Alpha on the interior.

So Sitka- ditch the jacket. Make the Hoody in half sleeve for archers and full sleeve for rifle hunters- done and done!
You should really try the jacket before bashing it. It breathes very well and dries extremely quick. I refuse to buy their hoody because they made it look like a Bill Belichick sweat shirt. Third iteration will have a hood AND sleeves. Or, they'll go down the path of selling a half- designed jacket for full price. My Rab Alpha Freak pullover does the same thing without the face fabric and has held up extremely well over the past couple of years. Shell over it and it's money in the wind. Hiking it breathes amazingly well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seeing Sitka actually makes that piece, seems it would be easy to add to their hunting lineup too???

They (Arrowhead) make a vest in the exact same fabrics too- might make for a nice early season piece- although the Kelvin Active hoody does a good job at early season
Gulch Gear makes a nice looking vest with Alpha. US made as well.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not bashing their active jacket, but without a hood it's a non-starter for me- add a hood to the jacket or sleeves to the hoody would be a good move on their part I believe :)

Elkangle

WKR
@Elkangle does the Sitka core lightweight hoody not compress the Timmermade Alpha below it?

Have you tried it the other way around, with the alpha hoody on top of the core hoody? What differences did you notice between those two setups?

What temps are you comfy in with the alpha hoody + Sitka core hoody?

I would say if the core hoody compresses it, it's not much...but it does block the wind just enough to trap that hot air

The other way around would trap less hot air, this is completely unscientific btw but just some thoughts..call it redneck logic if you'd like

Temp ratings are kinda tough...lots of variables...but this set up with a base layer will be my go to for the majority of my mornings down into the 30s and maybe high 20s if I'm moving fast and there's no wind

Ima reach out to timmer and see if he can put a half zip on these hoodies to vent out more

sneaky

"DADDY"
not bashing their active jacket, but without a hood it's a non-starter for me- add a hood to the jacket or sleeves to the hoody would be a good move on their part I believe :)
100% agree. Have you looked at the Rab Alpha Flash zip up jacket? More like a zippered layer. Alpha Direct 120, full price is $125, not bad at all for what it is. Different than my Alpha Freak pullover but for hiking in cool/ cold weather without overheating it's money. Wind comes through, but just enough insulating power to keep you from getting cold. Once the wind shirt goes over it

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm glad I got my Alpha Freak when I did, because like how boot manufacturers do, you find something you like and they discontinue it lol. Mine is Alpha Direct 200 wt. One of my absolute favorite pieces of gear.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that Rab piece looks pretty nice

I think both the Arrowhead piece I have and the Kelvin hoody are both 90 wt, I think my Patagonia Nano Air Light is even lighter insulation yet (60 g/m2 ?)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, Rab gets overlooked but they make really nice stuff

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, Rab gets overlooked but they make really nice stuff

I've got a couple of their pieces- one is I think still the lightest full 3 layer rain jacket on the market (used outside of hunting season :))