Sitka Jetstream- New vs Old?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have tried both the new and older version of the Sitka Jetstream, how do they compare?
I’ve read that the newer version is quieter. Is the old version quiet enough to stand hunt whitetail in? Is the new version worth the price to upgrade? Several sites have the older models on clearance but I’m wondering if it would be better to just go with the new model.

Luked

WKR
GO hunt had a ton fo stuff on sale recently. they might have the old model still.
I have the old model and like it no more than i have used it.

Luked

WKR
Yea i like mine. I just dont use it as much here at home. I normally wear it over my puffy here at home when it gets really cold. And I dont do a lot of hunting at home when its really cold.

RAPTOR

WKR
The old old one was awesome. The newer old one had a weird slim fit to it that I couldn't get right. I may try the newest version for stand hunting this year, but I'm eyeing up the new Kuiu whitetail stuff too

I have the old version that I bought in 2016. It’s plenty quiet enough as I’ve killed plenty of deer with it.

I haven’t got my hands on the new model yet but if you could pick up an older model for 50% off then I’d say go for it. You won’t be disappointed.

The new one is substantially quieter and softer. It is also much more comfortable and seems to have more stretch. I havent used it in the field yet to see how it performs in wind/durability but it seems good to go. Hopefully it is as waterproof as the old one too bc that thing could shed some serious water.

I feel the old one was only quiet enough for whitetails if it was windy out. I would not feel comfortable bowhunting from a stand with it on if it was dead calm. Maybe with a rifle. The new one is quiet enough to wear whenever IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I had the old one. Way to snug for my liking. I bought the new one. It’s much roomier and noticeably quieter. I’m looking forward to trying it this year

I only have the old one. It's too loud for my liking for stand hunting whitetail but I wont say it wouldn't work.

RAPTOR

WKR
I only have the old one. It's too loud for my liking for stand hunting whitetail but I wont say it wouldn't work.
I found it loud as hell unless you hunted a windy day. I did wind up buying the newest version and it's as close to a stratus as you're going to get without it having the actual fleece face. Substantially more quiet, fits way better than the most recent version as well.

First thing and it might sounds a bit trivial, the old version had bulky seams on the inside of the jacket that you could tell were there when wearing it. The new version, all of the seams are sewn flat on the inside, so there are no ridges where the seams are. Makes for wearing the jacket more comfortable.

The old one fit smaller and shorter and the outside material was a bit louder was also more rigid (if thats a word for clothing). The newer material lays down better and is quieter. Im 5'8 and the older version was a bit too short on me. The newer one is id say 1.5" longer, maybe 2 and there is more room in the chest/shoulders and just fits me far better than the older version did. Most of sitkas new pieces this year seem to address a common problem of not having enough length.

On the vest, the old version had elastic around the arm openings that were somewhat constrictive. The newer version does not have elastic there. Same thing goes with vest, newer has a roomier fit in chest and has more length.

Lastly the old jacket had a goofy pocket on the forearm that I never used and just created bulk and extra material. The new version got rid of that pocket.

The new version fits me better and its not close. The jacket, id say grab the new version for sure. The vest is more of a toss up. Try the old one on, if it fits and the elastic arm openings dont both you, go with that. If you need more room in the chest and more length, go with the newer one.

Last edited:

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
First thing and it might sounds a bit trivial, the old version had bulky seams on the inside of the jacket that you could tell were there when wearing it. The new version, all of the seams are sewn flat on the inside, so there are no ridges where the seams are. Makes for wearing the jacket more comfortable.

The old one fit smaller and shorter and the outside material was a bit louder was also more rigid (if thats a word for clothing). The newer material lays down better and is quieter. Im 5'8 and the older version was a bit too short on me. The newer one is id say 1.5" longer, maybe 2 and there is more room in the chest/shoulders and just fits me far better than the older version did. Most of sitkas new pieces this year seem to address a common problem of not having enough length.

On the vest, the old version had elastic around the arm openings that were somewhat constrictive. The newer version does not have elastic there. Same thing goes with vest, newer has a roomier fit in chest and has more length.

Lastly the old jacket had a goofy pocket on the forearm that I never used and just created bulk and extra material. The new version got rid of that pocket.

The new version fits me better and its not close. The jacket, id say grab the new version for sure. The vest is more of a toss up. Try the old one on, if it fits and the elastic arm openings dont both you, go with that. If you need more room in the chest and more length, go with the newer one.
I have the old version and had to size up to get a better fit for me. Would I still need to size up in your opinion?

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I sized up in the new Jetstream to xl but in the Stratus I wear a large. Weird.