Sitka Intercept vs Kuiu Kutana

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have hands on experience with both?

Looking for these to be my archery season pants and specifically curious which handles heat better and which one is quieter. Other than a few obvious differences these pants seem to fill a similar role.

Thanks for the info!

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
I have both.

Kutanas handle heat better, lighter weight and dry faster.

Intercept is IMO way quieter, and you have the odor management and knee pads if that’s something that matters to you.

This is just my two cents but if I was hunting hotter more open country I’m running kutanas.

If I’m more in timber and not moving as much I’m in the intercept.

Hope that helps

Have both. Like stated above katana dry slightly faster and are cooler in hotter climates. My issue with Katana is the fit 32 waist fits me perfect, but the thighs are too tight. So, I went to 34 waist and have to use a belt, and the waist also seems to stretch out over a few days on a hunt. the Intercept pants fit me perfect in 32 and have a much better fit and the waist doesn't stretch out. I like the knee pads as well. Honestly, I probably lean to the intercept pant. I have used them in august hunts and with the large hip vents I didn't think they were to warm. The intercept is definitely quieter. However, I do not think the katana were loud and would not be a factor for me.

OP
S

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Have both. Like stated above katana dry slightly faster and are cooler in hotter climates. My issue with Katana is the fit 32 waist fits me perfect, but the thighs are too tight. So, I went to 34 waist and have to use a belt, and the waist also seems to stretch out over a few days on a hunt. the Intercept pants fit me perfect in 32 and have a much better fit and the waist doesn't stretch out. I like the knee pads as well. Honestly, I probably lean to the intercept pant. I have used them in august hunts and with the large hip vents I didn't think they were to warm. The intercept is definitely quieter. However, I do not think the katana were loud and would not be a factor for me.
Thanks for the input. The hot weather performance is my priority so I’m going with the Kutanas. Wanted the intercepts to work but I run hot and think they would be more of a later season pant for me.

I hear you on the fit, I’ve had the exact same experience between Sitka and Kuiu. An easy fix is just to add a button to your oversized Kuius. Super simple and makes it so you can run them without a belt when they inevitably do stretch out or larger if you want to layer.

JohnnyB

WKR
Another Intercept “feature “ is the hip vents don’t have mesh, which is great when zipping up or the few grams you save in weight. The down side is the ants and mosquitoes have a direct path to some sensitive areas. I do like them, just wish they put mesh in the vent.

Another Intercept “feature “ is the hip vents don’t have mesh, which is great when zipping up or the few grams you save in weight. The down side is the ants and mosquitoes have a direct path to some sensitive areas. I do like them, just wish they put mesh in the vent.
yes, I have gone back and forth on mesh vs no mesh and I have landed on wish they had mesh. I think main reason they didn't use mesh was to keep the feature of installing or removing knee pads while wearing the pants. Which won't lie is nice as I do not use knee pads all the time only when I'm going on a stalk.

Thanks for the input. The hot weather performance is my priority so I’m going with the Kutanas. Wanted the intercepts to work but I run hot and think they would be more of a later season pant for me.

I hear you on the fit, I’ve had the exact same experience between Sitka and Kuiu. An easy fix is just to add a button to your oversized Kuius. Super simple and makes it so you can run them without a belt when they inevitably do stretch out or larger if you want to layer.
You are making a good choice and won't be disappointed. Katana are also very tough. I just took mine on a 7-day hunt that ended up being all off trail and busting a lot of brush. Pants did not have any holes or tears, and I was surprised. And they dry stupid fast.