Sitka Hyperdown jacket and pant review

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
@Tony Trietch did you ever get an answer on Sitka on this Hyperdown fill being the high end product in the sleep bag, and the primaloft down gold blend in the jacket/pants? If not I'll ask them to comment. When I stopped into their place in Bozeman the sales folks had no clue. Even weirder, they used 900 FP version in their Lite Down line that was discontinued, but using 800FP on this piece. I assume it is to keep prices down and not be at that Super Down Burner parka cost level.

Drake again with a vid today talking about the Hyperdown Jacket/Pant and having the same insulation - tough look when the influencers can't get it straight (in his defense, I'm sure his prototype actually had that fill).
Sorry, I did not.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Got a response from Sitka, kudos to them for actually addressing it. So they launched this product, but not with the intended fill, AND they used the lower grade of primaloft gold down blend (given the fill volume I expect that was to keep pricing/performance balanced).

I've bolded the input for emphasis - will they re-launch at a later date with that fill?? I did ask in repsonse and will report back.

ADKq_NYGuP0nRKDju6qLnDTCgTw8M_i2DcdpnrzFR0_zEZzTzDwWr_uKc_AdwV8bS3rGK3eUTlOKnon7nvC2l8WCZlfV4384fFUjyl06ZkCKCsYWyui81Vy55bfIIbKG4tyT1sE1_ZQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Ryal J - SITKA Gear (SITKA Gear)
Aug 23, 2024, 8:42 AM MDT
Hey Lawrence,

Thanks for reaching out. The sleeping bag has the ExpeDry down and the Jacket and Pant do not, they will use Primaloft Gold Down blend instead. The reason the jacket and pant do not come with the ExpeDry down is because it is a new down and we were not able to source enough of it to put it in all three products yet. The Hyperdown jacket and pants are still extremely warm and are great products, they just do not feature the ExpeDry down. The jacket and pant will have 8 ounces of fill.

Please reach out if you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Ryal J.

tracker12

WKR
This jacket looks very warm. Maybe to warm for I look for in a puffy. Do you think you could actually climb in this?

Hi-liner

FNG
This jacket looks very warm. Maybe to warm for I look for in a puffy. Do you think you could actually climb in this?
I know heat & warmth vary greatly from person to person, but there’s no way I could hike or climb in this jacket. It would have to be well below zero for me to consider wearing a puffy this warm for any kind of physical activity.

Hi-liner

FNG
I’m very interested in this jacket and have been doing a lot of homework on it and noticed that DWR isn’t listed as a feature on Sitka’s website. I reached out to their customer service team and asked if the jacket has a DWR treatment. This was their response:

“Thank you for reaching out. The new HyperDown jacket and pants are not treated with DWR. It is made with 800-fill PrimaLoft® Gold down blend, the insulation resists clumping in wet conditions to keep you warm. I would recommend the HyperDown to keep you warm during extreme temperatures, and a Dew Point Jacket as a shell in one size larger to keep that water off of you.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Thank you,
Kylie H.
SITKA Gear Customer Support”

I thought I’d share this information. Do any of you think the lack of a DWR treatment is a big deal for a puffy coat like this?

I got the jacket and pants. Way more impressed by the pants than the jacket- they just feel more thought out and very comfortable.

Going to struggle to find a use case for them in NZ but the deal I got them on was too good to pass up.

DWR isn't the end of the world but if I was in the states with it in the conditions its made for I would scratch my head that it doesn't have it. Maybe someday I'll be able to get back over there and test it fully.