Sitka Hyperdown jacket and pant review

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hey Tony can you get Sitka to comment on the fill they used? And why it’s different from the sleeping bag, which actually advertises the “hyperdry” allied feather product? Just curious behind the story of “why” with the product. It looks awesome, been waiting for the Sitka mega puffy. Also - can you get a fill weight out of them, they only list fill power.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Hey Tony can you get Sitka to comment on the fill they used? And why it’s different from the sleeping bag, which actually advertises the “hyperdry” allied feather product? Just curious behind the story of “why” with the product. It looks awesome, been waiting for the Sitka mega puffy. Also - can you get a fill weight out of them, they only list fill power.
I will ask them why they are different. I was wondering that myself.

Mrtoyz

FNG
Any idea why they didn’t/haven’t release them on their website? Would like specific details and the story.

TURNER208

FNG
I contacted their CS and they said 230 grams so roughly 8 oz of fill.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Does anyone else find it really odd that they still haven’t done an official launch? No email, no official Sitka video.
They told me that they were waiting until later this fall to push these. I was surprised myself.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I will ask them why they are different. I was wondering that myself.
I asked Steven Drake the same thing in case he knew someone that knew "why" - he just posted about this piece talking about the "gold flakes" (ie the allied down product). What's confusing is Allied does have a hyperDry fill, but ExpeDry (https://alliedfeather.com/info-room/products-innovations/expedry) is the Allied product used in the HyperDown sleeping bag.....but not the HyperDown Jacket. He's probably got a test piece that does have that fill, but why not send it to market with that (cost likely)?

"a technology called FUZE to create tiny gold particles that permanently bond to the down inside the insulation chamber, creating an electrostatic barrier that stops, say, humidity from condensing into water."

I know that doesn't actually answer the quetsion, but I thought it was funny one of their main sponsored folks was talking about the jacket and having a different fill than is actually advertised.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
How’s sizing compared to other pieces? I’m between a medium and large in most sitka
I would say it is a bit bigger than past puffys.
Id like to compare this to the new First Lite White Cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will see if I can get my hands on that piece.
I would like to hear your thoughts on the sizing and noise.

Thanks!
It is not very quiet, but it's not intended to be. I would say it is a bit oversized to easily be worn over your other layers.
I asked Steven Drake the same thing in case he knew someone that knew "why" - he just posted about this piece talking about the "gold flakes" (ie the allied down product). What's confusing is Allied does have a hyperDry fill, but ExpeDry (https://alliedfeather.com/info-room/products-innovations/expedry) is the Allied product used in the HyperDown sleeping bag.....but not the HyperDown Jacket. He's probably got a test piece that does have that fill, but why not send it to market with that (cost likely)?

"a technology called FUZE to create tiny gold particles that permanently bond to the down inside the insulation chamber, creating an electrostatic barrier that stops, say, humidity from condensing into water."

I know that doesn't actually answer the quetsion, but I thought it was funny one of their main sponsored folks was talking about the jacket and having a different fill than is actually advertised.
Gold flakes in our insulation....crazy to think what technology has done to clothing. I think Steven is an employee or at least subtractor for Sitka, maybe they are being quiet about it for a reason?

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I got the size medium pants with the F&F discount. Size medium pants weighs 1lb 2.5 ounces. The medium size is big and long and are more like a large. The pants are around 3x noisier than the uncompahgre puffy pants. The outside fabric is thicker and rougher than the uncompahgre fabric. Overall good build quality. I haven't had cold enough temps to test but wearing around the house I would guess 3x warmer than the uncompahgre.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
@Tony Trietch did you ever get an answer on Sitka on this Hyperdown fill being the high end product in the sleep bag, and the primaloft down gold blend in the jacket/pants? If not I'll ask them to comment. When I stopped into their place in Bozeman the sales folks had no clue. Even weirder, they used 900 FP version in their Lite Down line that was discontinued, but using 800FP on this piece. I assume it is to keep prices down and not be at that Super Down Burner parka cost level.

Drake again with a vid today talking about the Hyperdown Jacket/Pant and having the same insulation - tough look when the influencers can't get it straight (in his defense, I'm sure his prototype actually had that fill).

Kostrize

WKR
For comparison sake Katabatic Gear is now also using 900 fp ExpeDry in their quilts, ostensibly the same as what Sitka is using in their sleeping bag. Not the same as the blend used in Sitka’s jacket and pants but if anything the cost difference should be greater

I don’t think Katabatic’s prices are that much higher with ExpeDry than when they used Hyperdry in their lineup. If at all