Sitka Fanatic Hoody vs Heavyweight hoody

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Is the fabric of these two pieces basically the same? I stopped at a store today to check them out and they look extremely similar. The Fanatic has the kangaroo pocket, which is very important to me, and the mitten things on the ends of the sleeves. I’m slowly (very slowly, holy cow this stuff is expensive) upgrading my clothing system. Thinking one of these will possibly be my next purchase.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m not sure but I’ve been wearing a fanatic hoody on pretty much every hunt for the past 5 years. I never use the glove things and I’ve never used the facemask thing but it’s a great mid layer.

I prefer the fanatic over the heavyweight, but this is for treestand hunting and not active hunting. I think both would be pretty heavy on an active hunt unless is was used as a solo midweight, but in my mind there are so many other better choices for that. Breathability/mousture movement being the stopping factor there.

In my treestand use, i will use the fanatic over the hvywt since it does have the little glove thingys and the kangaroo pocket. Its great in a cooling 60-65 degree evening to be able to grab a little extra warmth from those two features. I dont wear this as a standalone below 60 usually and windy days i reach for the stratus jacket for the wind barrier. But on a calm 60-65 degree day, it can go alone.

I do wear these both under a stratus jacket down into the high 40’s. They perform really well as a static “insulator” piece, and the hood on the fanatic is useful here but much below 50 and i am reaching for a jetstream beanie

In my opinion, pick one you like for its features and go with it. They are very similar weight material, but the features make each fit uniquely into different niches

My 2cents Rufus.Origin Maine makes a USA made hoody merino wool based for about $75 less than Sitkas(cotton/fleece) Vietnam made stuff.Have owned both and will stick with the USA made stuff.

I had both. Sold the fanatic. I think they are basically the same material. Maybe some differences in fit. the fanatic wasn’t bad. You will either love or hate the mittens. The kangaroo pocket is good but only if you are wearing as an outer layer and can reach it. The face mask is meh. I prefer the heavyweight hoody or a Patagonia r1 fleece in that role. In the end, I sold the fanatic.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I’m leaning toward the Fanatic as the kangaroo pocket is important to me and the gloves might be nice. The store that I saw them in didn’t have a 2xl in either the Fanatic or the heavyweight, so will wait until they are back in stock to decide for sure one way or the other. Fit will make the final decision. Thanks. -Rufus

Agross

WKR
I have the fanatic and love it. I don’t use the mask and rarely use the glove hand thing. But it’s one of the pieces I almost always wear hunting.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I got a fanatic used off here last season. Had heavyweight before. Liked heavyweight.

Love fanatic. Mainly because of pocket and face mask. I’m not the biggest fan of the built in gloves and am tempted to do som trimming and sewing, but they aren’t worth the trouble yet.

I wore my every day in the field last year.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I got a fanatic used off here last season. Had heavyweight before. Liked heavyweight.

Love fanatic. Mainly because of pocket and face mask. I’m not the biggest fan of the built in gloves and am tempted to do som trimming and sewing, but they aren’t worth the trouble yet.

I wore my every day in the field last year.
Did you think the fabric was the same between the Fanatic and the Heavyweight? Is one warmer than the other? Is one more breathable? It really looked to me like the Heavyweight is a stripped down Fanatic. Is the fit different? Thanks. -Rufus

Tahoe1305

WKR
I thought fabric was same. Both grid fleece. Heavyweight possibly a tad thicker but I don’t think so. Didn’t have them at same time.