Sitka ascent vs kuiu kutana stretch pants

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I loved the previous gen of the Accent pants. Not a fan of the newest version. The Kutana's have been great early to mid-season for me.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
i orderd a pair of the kutanas to try. I do already have a pair of the ascent pants. I used to have a pair of traverse pants but wasnt a fan of the wide legs. I prefer a more athletic cut to pants. thanks for the replies from everyone.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
My waist is size 33, i sized up like everything i read online. Got the 36's and they were too big in the waist and legs. Reordered a 34 and they were ridiculously small. The gap between a 34-36 is insane. Ill be sticking with the ascent pants. Ascents are much more durable feeling and way more stretchy / comfortable in my opinion

My waist is size 33, i sized up like everything i read online. Got the 36's and they were too big in the waist and legs. Reordered a 34 and they were ridiculously small. The gap between a 34-36 is insane. Ill be sticking with the ascent pants. Ascents are much more durable feeling and way more stretchy / comfortable in my opinion
What size ascents do you have? Sitka discontinued their size 33 waist. Sucks because 32 is to tight and 33 was money, so I'm worried the 34's will be to big in waist.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What size ascents do you have? Sitka discontinued their size 33 waist. Sucks because 32 is to tight and 33 was money, so I'm worried the 34's will be to big in waist.

I didn't realize that- 33 is what I use too :( I've got two pairs, better make them last! :D

Kostrize

WKR
The Kutana material is about as tough as you will find for a thin lightweight pant. That said, I prefer the comfort and quality of the Ascent. They fit better, stretch more, and are more breathable. If I were going through heavy thorns or cactus I’d use the Kutana, for anything else the Ascent wins out for me

The sizing on the Kutana is very small as others have said. After sizing up and having them hemmed and the waist taken in, they were very pricey. I have a pair of Kutana pants that have only seen light use hiking and the seams are somehow coming apart from poor stitching/poor QC. First pants I can remember that happening on. Kuiu never responded to my request to warranty them. I’ve been a huge fan of Kuiu’s design and materials since their inception, but man if I’m going to be paying more for Kuiu than Arc’teryx they better bring more to the table.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
The size difference between the 36 and 34's was like going from a 36 to a 32. I do really like the ascents, after i ordered the first pair of kutana pants i was wondering why i was even wasting my time trying them when ive had to issues with the ascents. I guess i was wanting hip vents, but the ascents to breath really well, specially with the cargo pockets opened up, and dry amazingly fast.

The little grey tape or whatever they use on the kutana knee gussets was peeling off on one corner right out of the package, so theres that too.

tracker12

WKR
Ive been using Ascent for many years now and they are my go to pants from 80 degree weather till it gets to around 40. Im not sure how a pant can be any more durable. I have a pair that is easily 10 years old and not a single rip. Rocked them from Pa to GA to CO.