Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody Review

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup- Quieter than the Jetstream for sure, not as quite as an all fleece piece, but pretty quiet :)

Blandry

WKR
It is so quiet I can sleep in it, but I've also slept in my mountain evo a few nights since purchasing it. Both are quieter than the Jetstream.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have both and have been using both as well :)

I’m torn… would like your input.

I purchased the Ambient Hoody last season and coupled with the Evo. Absolutely loved the combo.

Dropped some weight, looking to downsize. Question:

Outdoor Vitals Ventus Hoody
Vs.
Sitka Ambient 100 Hoody(old Ambient had 200g)

Which would you go with for Active Insulation piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m torn… would like your input.

I purchased the Ambient Hoody last season and coupled with the Evo. Absolutely loved the combo.

Dropped some weight, looking to downsize. Question:

Outdoor Vitals Ventus Hoody
Vs.
Sitka Ambient 100 Hoody(old Ambient had 200g)

Which would you go with for Active Insulation piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends :)

The Ventus has 25 grams of insulation, but because it has both an exterior and interior fabric it's actually warmer than the insulation amount would indicate, it also doesn't move moisture quite as well as those using Alpha Direct (no interior fabric used).

If it's very active activities (or warmer temps) I would add the Ambient 75 hoody to your list to look at. I've been using it more than my 100 gram piece, generally reserving the 100 gram piece to colder weather.

The Ventus is the lightest jacket I tested (7 oz) and for the weight is pretty darn warm; it's cheaper too.

The 100 gram will be warmer than the Ventus if that's needed. I'd put the warmth of the 75 pretty on par with the Ventus, but the 75 moving moisture a little better.

If I lived where the clime was a little warmer (or exclusively hunted earlier seasons), I've found the 75 hoody to best fill that niche. If you're going to be hunting colder conditions, probably the 100.

The good thing is they are pretty good pieces and a guy could probably get by with any of them :)

Blandry

WKR
I'm pretty sure the old ambient hoody/jacket had 150g. My ambient jacket does, and it's super warm. I don't think I'd want anything over 100 for a mid-layer piece in any double-digit temps. That and the EVO plus a good puffy and raingear is all you need, in my opinion. Then again, I hunt northern CO/Southern WY, not MT like MTWARDEN, but I think it's pretty much the same weather dynamics.

I spend more time worrying about my head/ears, hands, and feet being warm than my core, which makes me miserable! I carry some serious hats, gloves and socks :)

Last edited: