Sirui VA-5 Vs Outdoorsmans Pan Head

xnader

FNG
Title pretty much explains it. I can afford both but really want to know if the Outdoorsmans is worth the extra $$$. Especially with their sale going on now I am ready to pull the trigger on one of these heads. Thanks!

WyoKid

WKR
I have the VA-5 and love it! I think for the money, it is the best bargain out there. Fully adjustable pan head and spring loaded tilt helps keep the scope balanced and in place. The handle is also adjustable. Check out some of the U-tube videos that give a good overview of the VA-5.

Tahoe1305

WKR
VA -5 is solid. I like mine for sure.

But this is 95% as good. 1/4 the cost and almost 1/2 the weight. I’ll keep VA5 in reserve for heavy spotter work. Otherwise the small rig is my go to.

For the price you should trust me ! Other threads on here about it too.

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259

Mikido

WKR

But this is 95% as good. 1/4 the cost and almost 1/2 the weight. I’ll keep VA5 in reserve for heavy spotter work. Otherwise the small rig is my go to.

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259

I use the $50 head above myself, can vouch for it for lighter scopes.

Mikido

WKR
RAUBAY Compact Video Tripod Fluid Drag Head, Pan Tilt Camera Mount with Arca Swiss Quick Release Plate, Max. Load 6.6lbs/3kg for Compact Video Cameras, DSLR - CF99 https://a.co/d/0jDnBzk

Same head, with a $20 coupon, brings price down to $30.

This combined with the 1.1 LB $90 aoka carbon tripod, can’t go wrong

I have both. Started with the VA-5. It's super smooth and seems to be well built. It holds a 65mm spotter with no issues. It is bigger and heavier. The controls are significantly smaller and can be a pain with gloves on. But, once you get the tension set, it is really nice to glass with.

The Outdoorsmans pan head is lighter and smaller. It feels solid and less complicated. Not as smooth as the VA-5 and does not have the ability to fine tune pre-tension. Binos are great on it and probably hard to beat if you like to grid when glassing. It can handle my 65mm spotter, but you might be pushing its limits with bigger/heavier glass. Controls are much bigger and easier to work with.

Both are good. The VA-5 is easy to justify for the price. Outdoorsmans at full retail was too much for me. Got mine lightly used at a good price.

VA-5 if...

* If you like ARCA and plan to stick with it for all your stuff (without extra adapters)
* Don't mind a little added weight and size
* Need smoother pan and tilt to video or phonescope

Outdoorsmans if...

* You want to minimize weight and still have a solid platform
* Primarily grid when glassing and don't do much video
* Prefer larger controls
* are considering Outdoorsmans as a system (window mount, bino adapter, etc)

There are probably other things to consider, but that's what jumps out at me between the two. I could make either work and be happy. In my quest to lighten my pack, I have been using the Outdoorsmans for the past 2 seasons and really like it/plan to stay with it.

Last edited:

So I ended up with one of these, worked well on some of my earlier hunts. In Montana this year (coldddd never went above freezing all week) and the pan function froze up completely. Took off my binos and tried with all my force but it was frozen solid. Tilt function I had to wiggle it up and down a bunch to get it loose enough to use. Basically I had to use my center post loosened to do that panning. So glad I had my trusty va-5 with my that trip cause the smallrig took a big dump on me.

Couldn’t find the big post with all the Smallrig discussion but wanted to post my feedback somehow..might recommend throwing it in the freezer and testing it before relying on this head in cold weather.

OP—va5 is bulky but silky smooth and going strong for me at somewhere near 80 days of hard field use now.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I ended up with one of these, worked well on some of my earlier hunts. In Montana this year (coldddd never went above freezing all week) and the pan function froze up completely. Took off my binos and tried with all my force but it was frozen solid. Tilt function I had to wiggle it up and down a bunch to get it loose enough to use. Basically I had to use my center post loosened to do that panning. So glad I had my trusty va-5 with my that trip cause the smallrig took a big dump on me.

Couldn’t find the big post with all the Smallrig discussion but wanted to post my feedback somehow..might recommend throwing it in the freezer and testing it before relying on this head in cold weather.

OP—va5 is bulky but silky smooth and going strong for me at somewhere near 80 days of hard field use now.
Nice. First failure I’ve heard of but something to watch out for, for sure.

hunterjmj

WKR
Third year running the va-5. Like others have said, it's silky smooth even at -10°. The pan lever is tiny but not a big deal.