Single Shot Rifles

Long Cut

WKR
I’m going to pickup a single shot rifle as a truck/loaner gun. I also really enjoy the simplicity of them.
I’m going to have the barrel chopped to 16-18” and throw a small suppressor on it as well.
The rifle will primarily be used to hunt Whitetails in the 0-300 yard range...

What caliber would you favor given these circumstances?
I current handload for .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor

Whatever you decide. , just know that most SS rifles have less than desirable triggers .
If there is a chance someone smaller framed might shoot it, even 223 is a reasonable round with the right bullet selection and if you can't get a reload for it , plenty of choices out there for factory load.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Whatever you decide. , just know that most SS rifles have less than desirable triggers .
If there is a chance someone smaller framed might shoot it, even 223 is a reasonable round with the right bullet selection and if you can't get a reload for it , plenty of choices out there for factory load.

I’m leaning towards a CVA Scout which the reviews I’ve seen all say the triggers around 2# range...

I’ll take it to my gunsmith to have it chopped down and threaded, so I’ll have them once-over the trigger.

Whatever caliber I go with, I’ll buy some dies/brass to load for it. I’m favoring .223/6.5 CM as I already have all supplies needed. Even the coveted 77gr TMK’s

triglet40

FNG
cva scout gets my vote. i have one trigger is very crisp and breaks at 2.5lbs on trigger pull gauge. Looked at several scouts before i bought this one and they all had a really good trigger. just for reference my cva optima muzzleloader i bought this season breaks at 1.5lbs.

Stugotz

FNG
At that range I would look at a .308. Ammo is more available, It's ballistically a good caliber (out to 300 yards and slightly beyond) Used dies are available (and relatively in-expensive) you reload and powder/bullets/primers for this cartridge are relatively available. I would assume you have rifles chambered in .223 and 6.5CM. If this is the case, I would go with the CM and look at a 130gr. projectile. You should be ale to find a decent bullet from Hornady or Sierra to fit your needs. Let us know what you end up selecting.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
At that range I would look at a .308. Ammo is more available, It's ballistically a good caliber (out to 300 yards and slightly beyond) Used dies are available (and relatively in-expensive) you reload and powder/bullets/primers for this cartridge are relatively available. I would assume you have rifles chambered in .223 and 6.5CM. If this is the case, I would go with the CM and look at a 130gr. projectile. You should be ale to find a decent bullet from Hornady or Sierra to fit your needs. Let us know what you end up selecting.

I’ll probably go .223/6.5 unless I score one stupid cheap at the pawn shop

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
cva scout gets my vote. i have one trigger is very crisp and breaks at 2.5lbs on trigger pull gauge. Looked at several scouts before i bought this one and they all had a really good trigger. just for reference my cva optima muzzleloader i bought this season breaks at 1.5lbs.
Agreed all the reviews I’ve read said it’s a great trigger, Bergera makes the barrels too

thebobcat

FNG
I don't have one in a cartridge that will suit your needs, but I do have a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 that shoots outstanding.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I have always been an aficionado of the quality single shot rifle. Ruger #1's, Browning High and Low walls. The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Browning B-78 in 6MM Remington. The most beautiful rifle I have ever owned was a Browning B-78 in 45-70. My current favorite is my Browning Low Wall (I cannot remember the model number), in 22 Hornet which I keep next to the window in my gun room with which to shoot varmints out of my window.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
I don't have one in a cartridge that will suit your needs, but I do have a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 that shoots outstanding.
How’s the recoil on the 45-70 I know they’re light guns (5.8-6#) total

Trackselk

WKR
I'm waiting on a slim profile 16.5" .223 barrel to be made for my contender. That makes for a sub 4.5lb rifle with the loopy 2.5x ultralight scope & talley 1 piece mount. I trimmed the stock about 1 inch including the thinnest microcell pad. Add 8ounces for the tbac suppressor.
Really handy to carry (have a 30-30 barrel also), and really hard to shoot offhand! .223 gets my vote.