Silly things you heard as a kid

I was thinking about my grandpa today and how much I miss him. He like many grandpas helped introduce me to the outdoors. He would pull into the driveway to pick me up to go grouse hunting and when I’d jump in the truck he’d say “maybe we’ll see a snowshoe or a sidewinder”. I didn’t know what those were but damn I spent a lot of time watching for em!
Did you have a parent, grandparent, mentor that had silly sayings like that ?

Dogone

FNG
In the sixties there were only a few decoys around. Old cardboard silohettes of geese. The story was that it was illegal to shoot a duck coming to a goose decoy. It was supposedly unsportsmanlike because the ducks could not resist. Heard it many times.

My grandpa told me if I put salt on bird's tail he couldn't fly and I could catch it. I heard many times a buck track was one with spread toes and a doe's print would be toes tight together. Mom said if I cross my eyes they would stick that way. My Dad told me while I was trying to drive a nail that "I was just like lightning, never struck twice in the same spot". The last one was true.

CorbLand

WKR
“You never lend out your gun or your wife and it’s in that order. Your more likely to get your wife back.”

As we were bouncing cross country on a desert in a 70s bronco. “There use to be a road here.” To which someone asked how long ago? “Probably when the pioneers came through.”

Dude had some funny one liners. He killed a pile of elk on that desert in that Bronco. Some from 500 yards some you hit in the ass when you opened the door to jump out.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
defiantly the fact that santaclus was coming to town.. my family were all talented liars
That was a weird thing in our family as well - I never figured out who wrapped or wrote notes from Santa, but it was so consistent, and the disinformation was so good, a politician would be proud. :)