Silky bigboy 2000 tooth size

Will be in Alaska in September on a float hunt and want to add a gliding saw to go with my Wyoming saw or replace it. The Wyoming saw has worked great when used but has limits on cutting through wood/skulls that have a larger diameter. I was looking at the katana but I think it’s more saw than I’ll actually need.

I’m curious if anyone has used the silky with large/XL teeth on bone. I may end up with the silky for around camp and pack my Wyoming saw home if needed for breaking down a moose. I don’t plan on skull capping any moose harvested so it will be used on leg bones and ribs. We can’t bone out where we are going.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the silky already or thinking about buying it?

Ive only used mine on branches and logs but can try and report how it works on some beef soup bones

OP
ddavis_1313
Do you have the silky already or thinking about buying it?

Ive only used mine on branches and logs but can try and report how it works on some beef soup bones
i dont have one but was going to order one to take with me. i have the wyoming saw but it doenst do well on larger logs/branches

I have several and one for each bag. I think its worth getting one anyway. I am going to defrost the bones this week to make broth and will try when they are not frozen.

OP
ddavis_1313
I have several and one for each bag. I think its worth getting one anyway. I am going to defrost the bones this week to make broth and will try when they are not frozen.

I’d appreciate it!!

I was told that the big teeth would do fine in Alaska where we will be due to the types of trees so I wasn’t planning on getting a medium or fine tooth blade. I have those for the Wyoming saw if need be.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
The larger the teeth the harder it will be to get through bone, tends to want to catch. I took a silky professional folder with large teeth and it worked, but wasn't the best on the skull cap or the ribs.

OP
ddavis_1313
The larger the teeth the harder it will be to get through bone, tends to want to catch. I took a silky professional folder with large teeth and it worked, but wasn't the best on the skull cap or the ribs.

I’ll prolly just use the Wyoming saw for leg bones and I don’t plan on skull calling a moose if we are so lucky. They make awesome looking euro mounts!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've skull-capped a ton of elk with the medium toothed Silky. It's all I ever use in the mountains.

I have a silky pocket boy and have cut many deer legs and rib cages. I have not used it for skull-capping and although tooth size would be bigger than ideal, you could easily do it.

OP
ddavis_1313
I've skull-capped a ton of elk with the medium toothed Silky. It's all I ever use in the mountains.

I may see if o can find a bigboy 2000 with medium teeth. The blades are not so cheap! lol