$3 UL saw build (2023 update)

WoodBow

WKR
I have always wanted a saw to use for skull capping deer when backpacking to keep from having to carry the skull out. I looked at a few builds on here and elsewhere online. I weighed out the pros and cons of each, for my applications, and came up with this. 1/2" emt conduit scrap skeletonized. Standard reciprocating saw blade. It has a wing nut on the other side to tension it with. I bought a 5 pack of 9" bi-metal blades for $15. I figured the finer tooth would be best for bone. Can take a pruning blade too when we are taking the stove. Works like a champ on antler and 2 inch hickory limb i tested it on.
58a389017931cc8d2a0b75100cad3d6d.jpg
854961c41ede510f94aa9236dc6e565f.jpg
715506c6d33e0bcfaca568a0ef136820.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I wanted to make a new one that was a bit fancier. It actually weights point two ounces more. So it is 3.7 ounces total.

2d7268e2be1c8e4db58cab1eb2dc1ea4.jpg
4d8565a90ca5d2e13e2c5316920f6777.jpg
23f26761d567079664fd65bc4226a88e.jpg

Last edited:
I like it... We are actually experimenting with aluminum conduit currently. I'll snag a piece and make an aluminum version, stuff is featherlight. Great idea.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s genius! I’ve always been nervous about bringing a blade with all the fragile material stuff in my pack but storing it in the handle solves that.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
In case anyone wants to build one, I will add that it is best to find the seam in the tubing and make your cut there for the blade slot. The seam is likely to start to crack when you flatten the end otherwise. This is the third version I made. Learned a few things as I went.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
What did you use to cut the slot on the seam? How?

How did you skeletonize it? Drill press?

-Thanks!

This is awesome btw
I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the slot. The holes were drilled with a drill press. I used a 3/16 bit first and then stepped them up to 1/2". The holes are spaced 1" from center to center. Center punch the holes before drilling. A vise or some kind of clamping system on the drill press will be needed for best results.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Have you sawed with it yet? Like pressing hard trying to saw through something? I’d think the drilled conduit would bend pretty bad?
Yea i have cut through a fair bit of hardwood and antler. Handle isn't going to bend. I was also concerned about it but it is way stronger than i feared. This is the 3rd generation of it that i made. Each one I removed more material. Also if you are using it you would apply down pressure with other hand at the base of the blade, not the middle of the handle. There is basically no flex load applied to handle. The weakest part is the blade. You have to be careful to only apply force on the pull stroke until you have enough of a groove cut to support the blade some.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yea i have cut through a fair bit of hardwood and antler. Handle isn't going to bend. I was also concerned about it but it is way stronger than i feared. This is the 3rd generation of it that i made. Each one I removed more material. Also if you are using it you would apply down pressure with other hand at the base of the blade, not the middle of the handle. There is basically no flex load applied to handle. The weakest part is the blade. You have to be careful to only apply force on the pull stroke until you have enough of a groove cut to support the blade some.

Nice I'm going to make one. I think if you tried the diablo or milwaukee pruning blades they would work great for both wood and bone.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Nice I'm going to make one. I think if you tried the diablo or milwaukee pruning blades they would work great for both wood and bone.
I should go ahead and buy one to try. I watched videos of guys using them on others designs and they will hog through wood. I was just concerned about bone performance. I could easily pack both blades to test. They weigh less than an ounce.