Sightron STac, any good?

SDHNTR

WKR
I need something cheap, $5 to $600 range preferably. For my truck gun/beater coyote rifle. I like the specs on these things. Are they reliable? What is the eye box like?

ChrisAU

WKR
I've wanted to try one, but narrow FOV and no locking turrets (assuming you are talking about FFP) have kept me away. If SFP is ok, EuroOptic has the 4-16x50 Trijicon Credo for $600 right now.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I dont mind no locking turrets as long as there's a zero stop. How bad is FOV?

Jkwright

FNG
If your OK with sfp that credo on europtic is going to be pretty tough to beat for 600 bucks. Its made in Japan which is typically a step above other Asian manufacturers and your not going to find another Japanese scope for 600 right now

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't have a lot of time behind it, but I've been pretty impressed with my 3-16X42 FFP Mil S-tac. Glass is clear. A little better than my 3-15 SWFA, not as good as my 3-18 VX6. I like the reticle. It's simple, and doesn't disappear at lower mag. Illumination dims enough to work in low light, but has some halo/bleed. Perfectly usable, though. Turrets are fair. A little mush, but clicks are positive. Tracking is spot on. Zero stop is simple and easy to set. Mag ring is about the right stiffness. No idea how it will be in the cold. The little flip up lever is a waste of aluminum. The mag ring has plenty of grip, and is on the sharp side for comfort.

No idea of long term durability, or zero retention.

Overall, it's a lot of scope for the money, IMO.

Jeremy

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Any more thoughts from people using this scope?

How is the reticle at low light on low power?

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of time behind it, but I've been pretty impressed with my 3-16X42 FFP Mil S-tac. Glass is clear. A little better than my 3-15 SWFA, not as good as my 3-18 VX6. I like the reticle. It's simple, and doesn't disappear at lower mag. Illumination dims enough to work in low light, but has some halo/bleed. Perfectly usable, though. Turrets are fair. A little mush, but clicks are positive. Tracking is spot on. Zero stop is simple and easy to set. Mag ring is about the right stiffness. No idea how it will be in the cold. The little flip up lever is a waste of aluminum. The mag ring has plenty of grip, and is on the sharp side for comfort.

No idea of long term durability, or zero retention.

Overall, it's a lot of scope for the money, IMO.

Jeremy
I also have the FFP with zero stop, mil hash... this is spot on from my experience.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SFP version in 3-16x42 with the duplex reticle. I found that the MOA-3 reticle was too fine for first & last light or in heavy timber. Obviously if you opt for the FFP version then you have an illuminated reticle. I dial and paired my scope with a custom turret from Kenton Industries and this set up has been extremely reliable for me over the last 5 seasons. I have backpacked extensively, hunted in all kinds of weather and this set up has never let me down. The scope has maintained zero, tracks perfectly and returns to zero every time. This year while packing my mule deer out down a steep mountainside in the mud & rain I took two falls, one right onto the scope and rifle. A few weeks later I took it to the range before my whitetail hunt and it was still zeroed. For the money spent I have been very satisfied with the performance of this optic.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I have decent natural eyesight so I ordered one with the MOA reticle to see just how fine it was, and the claims about it being too fine are definitely true. Exchanging it for a duplex and slapping it on a predator rig. Glass seems to be pretty good quality for the initial impression, haven't seen a bad review yet so I have high expectations.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Great scope but for a truck gun i would consider a scope that had locking turrets or a little tighter than the star. they spin very easily.