SIG SAUER ZULU6 HDX 20x42mm vs 16x42mm buying decision

lodey

FNG
Hi,

Did anyone had a chance to compare both in day and low light, in sunny or cloudy conditions?
Any big difference? Which one would you recommend for all around use and why?

I am leaning towards 20 for more zoom, but not sure about low light performance, and a smaller field of view.
Did anyone see any notisable stabilization difference?

I had regular/non HDX 16x42 before and liked it, but the quality of glass was soso in comparison with canon L10x42 and Fujinon TSX1440. Now with HDX glass I hear a lot of positive feedback.

Please help to decide!

Any other going with 20x42 vs 16x42 opinion/advice would is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Kook

FNG
I realize this does not answer your question, and sorry for that, but if you have the opportunity to check out both in a store that would be best. Reason being: I looked at the 10, 12, and 16x recently and was surprised at the lack of difference in magnification between the 12 and 16x. 10 to 12x was evident, but I found the 16s lacking. If you find this to be the case as well it will save you 100 or so.

Clarity of the 12s and 16s was as good as the a set of razors I compared them to (under store conditions). Didn’t compare with any other binos.

OP
L

lodey

FNG
Thank you. This is very interesting observation that you did not notice much magnification difference between 16 and 12. I went with 16 though.

Kook

FNG
Nice. I have multiple binos I am considering selling to purchase the zulus. Hope they serve you well!

w.travis

FNG
I realize this does not answer your question, and sorry for that, but if you have the opportunity to check out both in a store that would be best. Reason being: I looked at the 10, 12, and 16x recently and was surprised at the lack of difference in magnification between the 12 and 16x. 10 to 12x was evident, but I found the 16s lacking. If you find this to be the case as well it will save you 100 or so.

Clarity of the 12s and 16s was as good as the a set of razors I compared them to (under store conditions). Didn’t compare with any other binos.
Which Razors? HD or UHD? what magnification and objective size? I have the 16x HDX. I find the optical quality close to but slightly below Viper 12x50.

4th_point

WKR
Reason being: I looked at the 10, 12, and 16x recently and was surprised at the lack of difference in magnification between the 12 and 16x.
Do you think it was due to the lowish FOV of the 12x, rather than 4x difference in magnification, that made them appear similar?

4th_point

WKR
I have the 16x HDX. I find the optical quality close to but slightly below Viper 12x50.
I had the non-HDX and have tried the new HDX, both 16x. Viper HD level seems about right to me, maybe even a touch lower? Definitely not UHD.

ETA - the stabilization is a huge benefit, regardless of the exact level of optics. Except when really pushing the limits in my opinion.

Kook

FNG
Which Razors? HD or UHD? - I believe the were the UHDs, but I was not paying that close of attention tbh. I would say that for all observations need to take into account indoor conditions.

Do you think it was due to the lowish FOV of the 12x, rather than 4x difference in magnification, that made them appear similar? - when comparing the FOV, I’m not sure how that plays into magnification. I was seeing roughly the same FOV between the 12s and 16s. I would imagine the FOV would be more restricted at higher magnification. It could be that I was comparing FOV, but the two (FOV/mag), seem intertwined I’m my mind.

Before purchasing I was going to test each in low light conditions outside. Will report back when I have done so.

billday

FNG
I had the non-HDX and have tried the new HDX, both 16x. Viper HD level seems about right to me, maybe even a touch lower? Definitely not UHD.

ETA - the stabilization is a huge benefit, regardless of the exact level of optics. Except when really pushing the limits in my opinion.
I bought the Sig Zulu6 16x HDX this Fall. I hunt and target shoot in a lot of very windy places, and hoped the image stabilization would help, especially with glassing game while still hunting and other quick, offhand use. I was not really prepared for just how great a help it would be!

My previous “go to” binos are Vortex Viper 12x50 HD. Setting aside the image stabilization, I’d say image quality is roughly equal between the two, except in low light where the Vortex coatings/glass/objective size do a better job at gathering and transmitting the available light. Field of view is also narrower on my Zulu6 than my Viper HD, but so far that’s manageable.

Overall, I’m carrying the Zulu6 way more because the image stabilization makes things so much sharper that I’m willing to trade off a little bit of lowlight performance during the first and last 15 minutes or so of shooting light and a little narrower FOV for the tremendous stability all the time.

I’m finding I can one hand glass while on the move, something I very rarely do with nonstabilized optics because it’s just too shaky, especially when there’s wind. The ability to really pick out individual tines, body structures, and even tell one deer’s unique coloration and body confirmation apart from another at hundreds of yards, while standing and unsupported, is incredible!

I am now a stabilized binoculars believer. I find it very unlikely I’ll ever go back, and these have even replaced the need for a spotting scope for me while target shooting.

Thejet

WKR
I have yet to hear of anyone with hands on experience with the 20s. Seems like everyone just ends up with 16s……would love to hear some feedback from anyone who owns the 20s

4th_point

WKR
EXO guys discussed it briefly in one of the year end summary podcasts. Gist was - SS liked the 12x and wasn't a fan of the 20x.

I have zero experience with the 20x.

rogerthat

FNG
I just bought a pair of the 20s and used them for a week of elk hunting. The glass as can be expected is not alpha glass quality and they will not gather light like a standard pair of 56s but they make up for that with the stabilized image and magnification. For long range glassing elk they are pretty sweet. I glassed up a bull in the last 30 minutes of light at a google earth verified 5.5 miles in a stiff wind while hand holding them. Pretty sweet. I think if you were wanting something more all around, lower mag would be better but for me they are strictly for situations where the higher magnification is warranted and the image stabilization and weight is what makes them worth packing.

DIron

FNG
I bought the Sig Zulu6 16x HDX this Fall. I hunt and target shoot in a lot of very windy places, and hoped the image stabilization would help, especially with glassing game while still hunting and other quick, offhand use. I was not really prepared for just how great a help it would be!

My previous “go to” binos are Vortex Viper 12x50 HD. Setting aside the image stabilization, I’d say image quality is roughly equal between the two, except in low light where the Vortex coatings/glass/objective size do a better job at gathering and transmitting the available light. Field of view is also narrower on my Zulu6 than my Viper HD, but so far that’s manageable.

Overall, I’m carrying the Zulu6 way more because the image stabilization makes things so much sharper that I’m willing to trade off a little bit of lowlight performance during the first and last 15 minutes or so of shooting light and a little narrower FOV for the tremendous stability all the time.

I’m finding I can one hand glass while on the move, something I very rarely do with nonstabilized optics because it’s just too shaky, especially when there’s wind. The ability to really pick out individual tines, body structures, and even tell one deer’s unique coloration and body confirmation apart from another at hundreds of yards, while standing and unsupported, is incredible!

I am now a stabilized binoculars believer. I find it very unlikely I’ll ever go back, and these have even replaced the need for a spotting scope for me while target shooting.
Bill I am building from the ground up and I was thinking of the Sig Zulu6 16X42 HDX and pair with the Revic Ranging Binos. Thoughts on that as a set up to take into the field? Thank you

AdAstra

FNG
On paper anyway the exit pupil of the 16s seems to be more forgiving vs the 20s.