Sig Sauer Zulu6 10x30 or 16x42 - Any Field Experience?

Hey all

I know this has been asked about in previous posts but there wasn't much of a response. Very, very curious to hear user experience on these. I am thinking in thick timber with a bow in hand it could be very useful to one hand glass and still hunt with something like this.

I live in Aus so trying before buying is not an option. Just want to know how much of an option the 16x42mm is for free handing 1 handed in thick timber or if it is unusable. Current optics plan is as follows:

1. Kahles Helia S 10x42mm / 8x42mm
2. Sig Sauer Zulu6 16x42mm
3. Swarovski ATS 20-60x80mm

With that I believe I will cover every optical need but number 2. is a bit of a gamble without hearing peoples opinions.

Low light visibility appears to be the biggest con of the Zulu6's but I think with the Swaro SLC's (in new skin as Kahles) as part of the system, this should not be a long term issue.

I know Mark Livesay from Treeline Pursuits is a big proponent and is working on a formal review but until then I haven't heard from anybody.

Final point, I think the Sig Sauer Image Stabilised binos with a Crossroad Archery Stabiliser and viewing platform could be an incredibly lightweight yet powerful glassing system when weight is an issue.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever find anything out on the zulu6? Theres a few guys pimping them like their the best thing ever but I am always skeptical of reviews because of sponsorships...

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both versions of the Zulu6. The stabilization is absolutely amazing. Especially on those 16’s where every little bump is felt with high power. The glass quality does lack a little in low light, but look at the price point they’re at. They’re good and for a great price in my opinion. They stabilization is absolutely all it’s cracked up to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a pair of zulu6 10x...was going to go with the zulu9 11x45mm but when i was comparing them the image stabilization of the zulu6 won out over the "increased" power of the 11x. Have not had a chance to use them in the field yet, that'll have to wait a few weeks. Glassed up and down my street last night in the dark, pretty clear images but whether it works well looking for fur in the forest is up to debate. Liking the lighter weight though. Currently carry the zulu5 8x32 which replaced some steiner predators. And I briefly used the sig Kilo3000 rangefinding binos but I'm left handed/left eye dominant and having the button on the right of the binos and info in the right eyepiece was annoying to me. Plus they're heavy. I like the idea tho ha.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I have both versions of the Zulu6. The stabilization is absolutely amazing. Especially on those 16’s where every little bump is felt with high power. The glass quality does lack a little in low light, but look at the price point they’re at. They’re good and for a great price in my opinion. They stabilization is absolutely all it’s cracked up to be

Besides the low light does the image stabilization get it close to the quality of higher end glass like leica/swarovski?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Besides the low light does the image stabilization get it close to the quality of higher end glass like leica/swarovski?

I wouldn’t say that the stabilization does that. That portion doesn’t have anything to do with the stabilization, that’s the glass and configuration. If you don’t like to use a tripod or you walk/drive and glass free handing a lot that’s where these come in. I would not put them in the tier of Swarovski but they have good glass in them. Just not an apples to apples comparison

CORam

FNG
I just recently acquired a set of Sig Sauer Zulu6 16x42mm binos as a gift. They are not something that I would have ever considered purchasing, but I am amazed at how well the image stabilization works and how good the glass is for the price point. I have only gone on one elk hunt with them but they are already changing my glassing technique. I found that I was pulling out my tripod way less than before and the 16x power makes it so that I can pick up animals that are way farther out than with my old 10x binos. And one thing that is very noticeable is that you can glass from inside a running vehicle much more easily. There really is no reason to turn the vehicle off like before.

To the OP, I would say that these binos would definitely accomplish your idea of one-handed glassing while bow hunting. I did a lot of one-handed glassing on my trip and it worked great. It truly is like you have the binos on a tripod, even while freehanding with them.

I was skeptical of these binos but I really like them now.

I too was a bit skeptical before pulling the trigger on the Zulu 6 . However I can say they are everything I hoped for and more . I picked up the 16x42 and I use them 95% of the time over my 10x and my spotter . Not that either of those are a bad option it’s just so easy and makes glassing much more effective with out busting out the tripod. These also kind of eliminate the need for the spotter if I’m trying to run fast and light. The hype is real . For quick glassing (ie pulling up quick to check something out ) it’s not even close . The image stabilization is absolutely superior in almost everything except for a couple things.
1 - super low light it struggles a bit .
2 - the glass is ok but not elite . I’d say my Mavin have better glass but the stabilization thing makes up for this short coming .

Overall these things are rad. It’s the future IMO and it’ll be interesting to see how quickly other companies get onboard with this technology.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Just tried the 10x ones that a buddy had and holy s*it!!! We were glassing sheep from a jet boat going well over 20mph - no exaggeration! the image stabilization is like nothing I've ever seen before. Enough to consider leaving the tripod at home unless you use it to shoot from.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm looking at getting some 10x30 for truck binos, seems like they would be great for passengers to use while the vehicle is in motion.

But, is there any reason I shouldn't look at a cheaper Canon model first?

CORam

FNG
I used to use the Alaska Guide Creations Cub pack for some smaller binos. I tried to use it with the Zulu6 16x and they do fit but it is tight and the lid doesn't completely overlap at the front near the latch. I didn't like the setup. Then I got the AGC Alaska Classic Max and it fits very nicely. I love the pack.

CORam

FNG
Yeah I agree, they are shaped kind of strangely. Since the AGC pack is shaped more for traditional binos, instead of the longer narrower profile of the Zulu, the binos have space on the sides of them in that pack.

Y’all should check out Canon 10x42 L stabilized binos. They are about $1400, but they are waterproof, reasonable weight, and have excellent low light glass. I’ve beat them up for a few years and they are still performing great. Also, I’m yet to change the batteries and I use them a lot. They have 1 deg of stabilization, so just enough to take out hand shake. I have no idea why every hunter with the budget for them isn’t using them.
If you are on a boat or want to glass while driving in passenger seat, Fujinon ts 1440 is the way to go. In 6 ft seas commercial fishing I can see nets a mile away and even use them while off roading, although they make you seasick real quick. They have 6 deg of stabilization