Sig Rangefinder/Customer Service

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I bought a Sig rangefinder - the Kilo 2000 if I remember correctly. This rangefinder seemed well built, and during the summer months, I was happy with the performance out to 800yds or so. Huge step up from the old Nikon I have had for years.

When fall came, I quickly found that this rangefinder did not like the cold. I always like to keep them on my bino harness, but with any cold weather, it would not function at all unless I kept it in my pocket. It got bad enough on my elk hunt this year, that the morning I shot my bull, it was in the low 40's, and it would not function. I guessed the range at 300-350 and was spot on and killed the bull. Frustrating non the less to spend money on a product that I felt was not performing. I thought I would change the battery, thinking that may be the issue, but it did no good. I tested it side by side with my Nikon in Colorado this year, both with new batteries, the Nikon worked flawlessly (though it is limited to picking up range to about 300 yards) the Sig would not function, often times with it in my pocket. If I cupped it in my hands and blew on it for several minutes, it would usually start working. This issue was enough that I decided to call them after season was over, assuming they would make the issue right.

The bigger issue came when the single digit number stopped working, it will show about a third of the number. No issue with rifle hunting, but definitely an issue bow hunting. The difference of 31yds and 39yds is not something I want to be guessing when I am shooting a bow, or guiding hunters. (I guide a good chunk of the fall).

I called Sig, assuming in todays age of warranties, that they would cover me. I was informed that it was not covered under warranty and they do not offer repairs, the best they were willing to offer was 20% off an item directly from them. They also blamed the battery, saying that batteries don't work below 32 degrees. I told them about my test with fresh batteries in both rangefinders, but they blew that off. I informed them I would be going elsewhere. I find it surprising that a company that has worked so hard at promoting their products the last few years would refuse to stand behind their products in any form. This if the first time I can think of I have had issues with an outdoor company backing up a product, I have had fantastic luck with Vortex, Swarovski, Leupold, Kuiu, Sitka, Mystery Ranch, Seekoutside, and others I am sure I am forgetting.

To those of you that have Sig products, and have good luck with them, I hope you continue to; just be aware if something goes wrong, you will be left out to dry. As someone who hunts and guides almost all fall, I get asked at least weekly about my advice on different pieces of gear, I can promise I will never recommend another Sig product again.

Theres another thread on this, but Sigs 5 year RF warranty is the worst in the industry. Sure Leupolds is only 2 years, but its 2 years from date of purchase. Sigs 5 years warranty is from date of mfg. At least with Leupold you know when it starts. WIth Sig, its a full on crapshoot. Your RF warranty with SIG depends on how long your RF sits in china, how long it sits on a boat from china, how long it sits at a port, how long it takes to disrtibute, sit in warehouses and makes it on a shelf/website for you to buy.

I bought a 1800BDX Jan 6 2021. I started having issues with it July 2022. Called sig, was told that the warranty expired February 2022 and they could only offer a discount.

The 5 year warranty, was effectively 13 months for me. Jan 6 2021 - Feb 2022.

Last edited:

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks. Usually Sig has been pretty responsive for issues with scopes that we've come across.

What model is your RF, SOK16701?

JPL4584

FNG
I have recently experienced the exact same issue with my Kilo 2000 display going out, as well as SIG's lack of customer support. The 20% discount on a new unit is a joke, when you can purchase any of their rangefinders cheaper from Cameraland every day than SIG is willing to sell you one directly with the discount.

Buxman

FNG
There was a similar thread on here recently, looks like it keeps happening. Never had any issue with them , but it sucks to read all these about their customer support.

I’ve heard several different reports now of sig ranging bino’s and rangefinders that wouldn’t function in the cold. Seems to be pretty random though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't even call "low 40's" cold, as far as hunting and rangefinders go. I've used my Sig Kilo 2000 in temps in the 20's without issue. But I definitely need to change the automatic light adjusting on the display. This year during archery I was trying to range a bull right before dark and the display was so dim I couldn't even see what number it was showing me. I wasn't going to take that shot without an accurate range, so I lost that chance. I'll probably just use my Leica from now on. I've used that thing to range 3D targets in sub-zero temps without issue.

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't even call "low 40's" cold, as far as hunting and rangefinders go. I've used my Sig Kilo 2000 in temps in the 20's without issue. But I definitely need to change the automatic light adjusting on the display. This year during archery I was trying to range a bull right before dark and the display was so dim I couldn't even see what number it was showing me. I wasn't going to take that shot without an accurate range, so I lost that chance. I'll probably just use my Leica from now on. I've used that thing to range 3D targets in sub-zero temps without issue.
I wouldn’t call that cold either- it’s simply absurd. Laughable that the 10 year old Nikon, that I couldn’t get sold for $40, outperforms it.

CHSD

WKR
I am glad you posted. I am looking for a new rangefinder and was considering a Sig. I am now not considering a Sig. Thanks!

I can't speak to Sigs Customer Service but my BDX1800 had the exact same issues in the cold as mentioned.

General rifle season Montana elk was single digits and low teens and when i kept my rf in my bino bivy i couldnt get more than 250 yard range from it. I started keeping it in my pants pocket to keep it warm. It helped and i was able to get out past 800 but was still disappointing know it should range 1000+

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

gburk

WKR
Sig customer support just took care of me and sent a new RF no questions asked. It had previously been miscalculating AMR by a factor of 0.7 or so - and it had nothing to do with "cold" ... If I was in charge there I would be in reputation damage control mode and working with people to put functioning optics in their hands. Which is what they did, in my case at least.
Of course, if this new one craps out in short order, they may be too far gone. Call me an optimist when i say i hope it was just a bad production run.

dtrkyman

WKR
That is pathetic, I had an older Leupold go a bit hay wire, probably 10 years old. Called and talked with their rep, offered me a new one at a condiderable discount, 40-50% off or so.

Just made me send pics of my old one destroyed. Was about to go Vortex for the warranty but couldn't ignore that price, got a high end full draw version.

MattB

WKR
I had an issue with my SIG RF’s display starting to fade like the OP. Sent mine in and SIG sent me a brand new/upgraded model for my troubles.

Carlin59

WKR
Had great turnaround with a Kilo1800 that stopped ranging altogether. I actually think it was some type of disconnect with the ranging button (it was really finicky for a while and eventually quit working altogether). I let customer service know I had a late season hunt coming up, and they sent me a new Kilo3000 as a replacement quickly. Very happy with the service provided.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Theres another thread on this, but Sigs 5 year RF warranty is the worst in the industry. Sure Leupolds is only 2 years, but its 2 years from date of purchase. Sigs 5 years warranty is from date of mfg. At least with Leupold you know when it starts. WIth Sig, its a full on crapshoot. Your RF warranty with SIG depends on how long your RF sits in china, how long it sits on a boat from china, how long it sits at a port, how long it takes to disrtibute, sit in warehouses and makes it on a shelf/website for you to buy.

I bought a 1800BDX Jan 6 2021. I started having issues with it July 2022. Called sig, was told that the warranty expired February 2022 and they could only offer a discount.

The 5 year warranty, was effectively 13 months for me. Jan 6 2021 - Feb 2022.
Good call on the Leupold warranty. I was looking at picking up a new rangefinder from them and thought they fell under their lifetime warranty. I just re-read their policy and saw it’s only two years. Might be looking elsewhere with that.

repins05

WKR
I had a very negative customer service experience via phone. One of the worst customer service experiences that I have had anywhere. Had a coupon and purchased on the website. Coupon didn't kick in and my credit card was charged full price even though the receipt showed it was applied. Rep wouldn't refund me the money and I asked to return it. Said I couldn't return it. Huh.? Anyway, long story short it, I had to move up the chain made a request for the manager to call me back. Note...the first customer service guy stated that there was only one person above him and there were only a few people who work in the department. Mind blowing due to the size of sig. Manager (or whoever) called me back. Apologized and took care of the issue no questions asked. I will question sig from now on based on my experience.

Stalker69

WKR
Wow, not good to read this. I have a sig range finder myself. I haven’t had an issue yet, but I am sure I most likely will. Guess I should Probably look at replacing it before It gets to that point, sucks, but thanks for the heads up. I have an old busnell that I have as a back up, the battery cover just won’t stay on, but I tape it and it works fine. That thing is at least 10-15 years old I would guess. It’s the first rangefinder I ever bought, never had an issue other then the battery door. Edit After typing this in the similar threads, looks as though many are selling there sig range finders, understandable I guess.