Shrek's armed camping trip 2015 ;)

I am jacked for you Shrek. Happy you got a great bull after a great hunt. And I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself or burn yourself down getting that bull out.

I was just being a smart-azz. I had been envisioning how tough breaking down that elk could be and how bad the pack out could become after the muck sapped a lot of energy. I was there with you brother. In my mind, your story was full of foreboding. I went to bed with the "cliffhanger".

I'm glad that Jeff was able to help you.

You don't need to validate or authenticate your hunt with a solo pack out. You got your hard sought bull! Congratulations!

And though I was only joking about the dramatic vision of your breaking down and packing out your bull, I do hope that the 66yr old hotel clerk makes googly eyes at you and offers a massage. 'Cause, like I said, there's something wrong with me...and that's funny right there!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
No offense was taken with the packout comments. I just want to be clear about my attitude towards this whole western backpack hunting thing. I do it because it's the only way I can afford an authentic diy hunt. I buy the best pack and big tent with a stove because I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible. If I can find the elk in some gentle terrain and sleep in a wall tent with a big stove I'm all about it. If I could afford a packer on speed dial I'd have that too. What I don't want is to buy a hunt and it not be my logistics plans , hunting plans , field decisions , finding the animal , judging the animal , and finally killing the animal. That's the hunt to me. The packing and cleaning and everything else is just work that has to be done to get to where I want to be. I like the rest some but it's not a driver to me. I don't camp for any other reason than hunting.

Randle

WKR
Well did you strap a quarter in the duplex and haul it it the butcher shop.
Haha

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Next up is my mule deer tag. I'm not big into mule deer so there is no pressure. If I see one I want I'll give it a try but if not no big deal to me. I've already passed on what is a pretty good mule deer for around here and may regret it later but I've got another two or three weeks to hunt if I want. I'll probably burn out before three weeks goes by but we'll see. I'm locked into this unit with its draw tag so I can't wander someplace new to explore but that's the price I had to pay to be able to shoot either one when hunting.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats Shrek - way to get it done. Persistence rules the day. I'm all for speed dialing the packer if that is an option. Good luck on the rest of your hunt. Enjoyed your thread the last two years.

7stw

WKR
Congrats shrek ! Sounds like an epic adventure for sure ! Stay safe and bust a Muley you know you really want to. Lol. Glad you finally got your first bull !!