WTB Shoulder busting MTN rifle

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Checked on the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade which comes in over 8 lbs and has a 26in barrel. It is beautiful but my weight budget is 6.25lbs or less for the rifle with magazine in (not loaded).

- Alexgio518

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm back from a business trip reading through some of the posts that came during travel again. I missed a few important ones including the YouTube video of the best 30-06. Some responses below:

Check out tract Scopes with the BDC reticle.
Thanks for the suggestion, i'll read up on these. Right now the VX3HD or VX5HD's from Leupold are most attractive to me.
1000% true
Based on the youtube video, are you suggesting that some rifles handle recoil better than others even if they have the same weight? One other earlier poster mentioned the superlites handle recoil well. Your video is suggesting that even if a rifle is the same weight the Tikka may pass along more recoil, or at leas have more muzzle flip than other models in the same weight? I'm wondering what your first hand experience is here, and if you think it's worth upgrading to a Kimber mountain ascent or Bergara mountain premier?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm back from a business trip reading through some of the posts that came during travel again. I missed a few important ones including the YouTube video of the best 30-06. Some responses below:

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll read up on these. Right now the VX3HD or VX5HD's from Leupold are most attractive to me.

Based on the youtube video, are you suggesting that some rifles handle recoil better than others even if they have the same weight? One other earlier poster mentioned the superlites handle recoil well. Your video is suggesting that even if a rifle is the same weight the Tikka may pass along more recoil, or at leas have more muzzle flip than other models in the same weight? I'm wondering what your first hand experience is here, and if you think it's worth upgrading to a Kimber mountain ascent or Bergara mountain premier?

Yes, I don’t think there is any denying that a stock can change felt recoil and different designs will make a guns recoil feel different.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Based on the youtube video, are you suggesting that some rifles handle recoil better than others even if they have the same weight?
Absolutely. I had a Tikka t3 in 30-06 that I could only shoot 15 or so rounds max per trip to the range. I could shoot my savage ultralite 30-06 all day long.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
UCS: You’ve got me thinking about the stock and overall feel of the ultralight. I went to Kentucky gun co today and held a bergara premier mountain 2.0 chambered in 300 PRC. WOW, the feel of that rifle is really balanced and comfortable. The 300WM weighs in about 6lbs 4oz In their literature. This is 1 oz over my target but I can make that up in the scope I believe.

Much earlier wyo2trac suggested a bergara premiere and I just got around to holding one.

I’m pretty hooked on the feel and balance of the bergara for the $1800 range.

Does anyone have a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 in 300WM that they can put up the weight for!

I’ve not seen one in a store yet? But the Kimber mountain ascent likely has a similar high quality balance and feel so I’m looking around for one to hold.

- Alexgio518

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just buy the 300prc.

Hahaha. Tired of my fickle search?

The win mag is a few ounces lighter and holds 1 more.

What do you prefer about the 300PRC Or is it just because it’s in stock?

I can’t find a 300WM in stock anywhere near me.

- Alexgio518

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
300wm and 300prc is just splitting hairs. The PRC's are here to stay they are not going anywhere. Once this panic buying and hoarding slows down then components will be had for all. Components can still be found you just have to be quick.

Currently Unknown Munitions has 300prc ADG brass with your choice of bullets from 212-230gr available right now including Berger 215. Mile High Shooting has 300prc 225gr match as well.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
300wm and 300prc is just splitting hairs. The PRC's are here to stay they are not going anywhere. Once this panic buying and hoarding slows down then components will be had for all. Components can still be found you just have to be quick.

Currently Unknown Munitions has 300prc ADG brass with your choice of bullets from 212-230gr available right now including Berger 215. Mile High Shooting has 300prc 225gr match as well.
After giving it some thought, and being very tempted to go buy that 300PRC down the road from me, i've decided the 300 winchester magnum is my preferred cartridge for nostalgia, availability, lighter rifle, shorter bolt (i think), one extra cartridge in the rifle, variety of projectile suppliers and weights, and because I already have a lot of brass for 300 winchester magnum.

On to scopes again. I'm looking at all sorts of scopes. Checking out brands like Tract, Swaro, Leupold, Meopta, etc... I'm wondering why so many scopes do not have slim low profile elevation turret? Many hunting scopes have capped turrets? Does everyone do adjustment with the reticle? Even the Swaro Z5 BT system is strange because the hash marks are not numbered. The Z5 BT has 3 color indicators which you can set for a few known ranges on your drop chart. Systems like these assume your game will fall into some sort of range bin. Do most people simply hunt 300 yards or less and so elevation dialing is not important?

PaulieNY

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
After giving it some thought, and being very tempted to go buy that 300PRC down the road from me, i've decided the 300 winchester magnum is my preferred cartridge for nostalgia, availability, lighter rifle, shorter bolt (i think), one extra cartridge in the rifle, variety of projectile suppliers and weights, and because I already have a lot of brass for 300 winchester magnum.

On to scopes again. I'm looking at all sorts of scopes. Checking out brands like Tract, Swaro, Leupold, Meopta, etc... I'm wondering why so many scopes do not have slim low profile elevation turret? Many hunting scopes have capped turrets? Does everyone do adjustment with the reticle? Even the Swaro Z5 BT system is strange because the hash marks are not numbered. The Z5 BT has 3 color indicators which you can set for a few known ranges on your drop chart. Systems like these assume your game will fall into some sort of range bin. Do most people simply hunt 300 yards or less and so elevation dialing is not important?

Vortex Razor HD LHT. Has low profile turrets and a marked parallax. And under 20oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Vortex Razor HD LHT. Has low profile turrets and a marked parallax. And under 20oz.

Ive already told him to buy one of these…. Some people just won’t listen.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Yes, this model and similar Leupold scope were posted previously as good options. I’m mostly surprised by the large quantity of hunting scopes that do not have these features.

I’m looking for a scope under 16oz. Right now the VX3HD does everything except it has 2 compromises.
1. Only one spin of the dial so long range target shooting will be limited.
2. Parallax turret is not labeled.

- Alexgio518

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Zeiss conquest is hard to beat. I’ve heard good things about Tract also.

cooperjd

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yes, this model and similar Leupold scope were posted previously as good options. I’m mostly surprised by the large quantity of hunting scopes that do not have these features.

I’m looking for a scope under 16oz. Right now the VX3HD does everything except it has 2 compromises.
1. Only one spin of the dial so long range target shooting will be limited.
2. Parallax turret is not labeled.

- Alexgio518
If you do a lot of reading on the optics sections here and elsewhere, you will likely be disappointed if you're going to try and dial a leupold a lot. Very few scopes will hold zero or dial repeatedly. Maybe none of them under 16oz. IMHO the features you're looking for can be found, but you're going to add a few ounces. the razor lht's do seem legit, but i refuse to own an illuminated reticle scope due to the ambiguity of some states game laws, and i like to hunt all over the place. huskemaw will get you close in weight, as well a NF shv 3-10, a swfa 3-9, and a zeiss v4. all of those will be around 20-22oz IIRC.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If someone hasnt already mentioned it, I'd HIGHLY recommend one of the 5-port titanium brakes sold here. I have them on every caliber over 6mm I shoot and it tames the biggest beasts like this one below. This is Lane Precision-built sub-8lb switch barrel setup (with optics) in a 22" 300 Norma Mag Improved shooting the Berger 215 and 230, & a 26" 338 Warthog (338 Norma Mag 40° Improved) shooting Berger 300gr OTMs. While these Rokslide brakes all but kill the recoil from these two calibers, man it is a violent experience when it goes off. Gotta have your big boy pants on when you shoot these LOL
20210913_174402.jpg
20210913_174846.jpg
20210913_174615.jpg
20210913_174551.jpg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You’re at 138 posts on this thread. Just go buy something already! 1 ounce here and there makes zero difference. Go run on the treadmill and lose 2 pounds and you’ll be better off than buying a rifle because it is 2 ounces lighter than another one.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Clown buster, I love the brake on my current WM but I’ll be working without one on my mountain rifle build for weight and hunting friends ears.

You’re at 138 posts on this thread. Just go buy something already! 1 ounce here and there makes zero difference. Go run on the treadmill and lose 2 pounds and you’ll be better off than buying a rifle because it is 2 ounces lighter than another one.

I’m very appreciative of the thread activity. It’s been entertaining and insightful. About 3 weeks ago I attempted to purchase a fully setup superlite from sportsman’s but there was a mix up with in store / distribution quantities. I ended up not following through. Then I re- read through some comments on quality impacts on perceived recoil. So I considered a higher end rifle.

I went to the store and held the bergera premier mountain 2.0 in 300PRC. I’m convinced I’ll be buying that rifle chambered in 300WM now. I’m only finalizing my selection of scope and I’ll buy it all at once with a 10% coupon I have and I’ll be on my way.

The setup should end up being
Bergara premier Mountain 2.0 300WM
Tally light weight rings
Swaro z5 BT scope
Harris 2 piece alloy tall bipod 23in

Im having some difficulty with in stock items at sportsman’s right now but I think I’ll get the items I’m looking for soon.

I believe this will weigh in under 8.6lbs total and accomplish my goals for this rifle build. I’ll follow up after I purchase the items.

- Alexgio518

Last edited: