WTB Shoulder busting MTN rifle

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You want a mean lightweight fire breathing dragon, then look at the new Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 30-378 or 300 weatherby. 99 grains of powder and a 200 grain pill would let you know you're holding onto something buttercup. $140 per box for 30-378 in Sportsman's but at least it's easier to find than .300 win mag right now. Look at the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0. You can get a .300 win or 300 PRC in that lightweight.

So far, wyo2track has one of my favorite set of suggestions.

- Alexgio518

Jonoton

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a lightened titanium action rifle in some .300+ Weatherby mag at a gun shop, on consignment a few weeks ago. With the skinny barrel and composite stock, it fealt like it was in the sub 6 lb range and not any fun at all. I think it was listed for $1250 or $1500?
Ooof: I looked it up, it's a Rifles, Inc. Strata. Not Ti, still very expensive.

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
go get a Tikka 300wsm and be done with it. Along the way you can add a better stock etc. my is a 1/2 Moa shooter and drops elk in its tracks and didn’t cost much
Thats exactly what I did . 300wsm and added a carbon stock. I did have it all rigged out but didn't need to do all the rest and could've done it cheaper. Id say go tikka or grab a sako 85 finnlight

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I eventually turned my Tikka into this, mesa precision stock, proof barrel

Attachments

• 27A3F622-451F-4BBA-A656-3B3DA251936F.jpeg
    27A3F622-451F-4BBA-A656-3B3DA251936F.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 147

idahodave

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Alex,

I‘d strongly suggest looking at a Seekins Havak Element. Not outrageously priced, and guaranteed to shoot. Those boys in Lewiston know how to build a rifle.

I have the PH2 in 7 Rem Mag and it’s simply awesome.

Dave

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I eventually turned my Tikka into this, mesa precision stock, proof barrel

How do you shoot with tall brush and sage around? How tall does that bipod go?

Love the setup. How do you like the surpressor? Can your share the brand?

- Alexgio518

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I now have a 300 Terminator that clearly meets your post requirement with the exception of being a bit heavier than your desired weight. But on a more serious note, you could purchase a Tikka in 300 WM and through on a custom Hart barrel for way less than a Terminator. But if you get a stock Tikka like mine, you won't have a desire to rebarrel it until the barrel is shot out.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a great Tikka (.30-06) that I sold to pick up a Sako 85 Finnlight in .300wm I got on here second hand. liked the Tikka a lot. I love the Sako. I found a used Fierce carbon stock that fits the Sako action perfectly. With a Leupold VX-3i and a Spartan Precision Classic Rifle Adapter the thing is 8 pounds, 3 ounces. I think the ergonomics of the stock help quite a bit with the recoil, but the stock it came in wasn’t too much heavier nor was it much worse to shoot. I don’t have a brake on the rifle, and while I don’t put boxes of ammo through it at the range, it’s far from a shoulder buster. I think either a Tikka or a Sako Finnlight would for your needs without much in the way of custom work. And carrying the bipod separately would make the rifle feel lighter still.
Good luck in your search. Shopping is half the fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am also in the market for a 300 WM or a 300 PRC. Can’t really decide which way to go. Probably make no difference as I have no experience with larger magnum type cartridges.

I’d like to stay below $2,500 for rifle and scope. I do my own hand loads so if I could get in below that with reloading components that’d be awesome, but not a requirement.

Looking to top the rifle with a Vortex scope, if anyone has any suggestions. Wild prefer a second focal plane scope.

Some good suggestions here and lots of rifles to look at.

Anyone have experience with the browning hells canyon?

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Have a Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 300 RUM. One elk hunt under its belt. Can confirm effectiveness, it has a perfect record so far. 1 hunt 1 kill. Factory camo stock and bronze cerakote. Bronze factory rings can go with it but keeping scope. Has Timney trigger but can also sell with stock if you prefer.

Here’s a hells canyon but in 300RUM. Maybe. Bill will share his thoughts about the platform.

- Alexgio518

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So far, wyo2track has one of my favorite set of suggestions.

- Alexgio518
There's been many great recommendations in this thread. Lots of good lightweight all weather options available in today's market of production rifles. I'm more a traditional guy, walnut in my hands. For reference I have a Kimber .300 win mag in the 8400 classic, 26" barrel 8.75# with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40mm on it. With 200 ELD-X at 2970, its plenty on the bench, thinner barrel heats fast, no brake though, but hunting you I don't feel much. What's the term these days...'spot shots',...yeah that don't happen...lol. Went back to 180's just because I'm a 500 yard and in guy, so those big BC bullets just really aren't needed and all the elk 's I've shot with 180 or 200 die the same. The Kimber mountain ascent is even lighter and shaving that 3/4# would probably be worth it for strictly a backpacking setup. If you still want a big beastie round in a production rifle, l'd probably tell you 300 RUM if there was one. More efficient than the big Weatherby offerings. You can go full custom with light component materials and get one, but that's probably a $4000 option.

What's your train of thought on scopes? Heavy or light? You go with a light rifle than put a 24oz scope on it, might as well just buy a rifle that's 7-7.5# and be more steady and put a 1 lb scope on it. Perhaps you pick out the scope you desire, add a few ounces to it, then start backing into a rifle if brand doesn't matter. This is a fun thread.

(Edit: Looks like Fierce, Christensen and Browning all offer up a 300 RUM...which action would you like best)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a Winchester 70 Stainless Classic in 300 RUM I could part with......with a decent Leupold scope it would probably be in the 7.5 pound range..not sure what a tall bipod weighs though. Not many of these around and if you needed it lighter you could shave at least 1 pound by replacing the factory composite stock...but im not so sure you want a 300 RUM to be a super lightweight anyways...it would be quite uncomfortable without a brake on it. If you get tired of it you could rebarrel it to a 404 Jeffery without doing anything else.

SDHNTR

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My lightweight thumper is a Borden action .300WSM with a 22" Bartlein 2b and a McM Edge fill stock. Gun weighs 6.5lbs. All in with Swarovski Z6 3-15x50 it weighs 8# on the button. I carry a Hatch Out West bipod and slip it on the pic rail up front when needed. It's light, but still very shootable.

IdahoElk

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is a very interesting request, why does one seek out a shoulder busting rifle to shoot an Elk? you need that shoulder to pack your animal out : )

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a Fierce edge series 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It is a decent weight gun. I have a NF NXS on it, that weighs 2 lbs by itself. I would gladly remove and keep scope and sell just the rifle. I would suspect a Luepold 3 scope would get you to the 8- 9lb area. The rifle is not a Light Weight set up, but it is a mountain set up so it is light. Just not carbon barrell, titanium action and carbon stock.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Perhaps you pick out the scope you desire, add a few ounces to it, then start backing into a rifle if brand doesn't matter. This is a fun thread.

This was kind of my thought. I know I want a Vortex, second focal plane and either a Razor LHT or the Viper HST. I think I would like more field of view and magnification range, but will most likely keep it on a mid range magnification, as that is what I currently do with my hunting rifles. Seems to work well.

I should edit, I am hunting moose in Newfoundland. Looking for a heavy hitter for that. Will trickle down to elk in the future.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Fierce edge series 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It is a decent weight gun. I have a NF NXS on it, that weighs 2 lbs by itself. I would gladly remove and keep scope and sell just the rifle. I would suspect a Luepold 3 scope would get you to the 8- 9lb area. The rifle is not a Light Weight set up, but it is a mountain set up so it is light. Just not carbon barrell, titanium action and carbon stock.

Interested to know why you would keep the scope and sell the rifle. Ultimately, I would love a fierce rifle. Just a bit out of my price range new.

Looking at a Browning Hells Canyon, a Christensen or a Tikka. I own a few lower end Savages and would love to stick with one, but not many options in 300 WM and no options in 300 PRC.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a guy just bumped a Sako Finnlight in .300wsm with Optilok rings and dies in the classifieds here. Don’t know the seller, but that rifle fits your criteria.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Interested to know why you would keep the scope and sell the rifle. Ultimately, I would love a fierce rifle. Just a bit out of my price range new.

Looking at a Browning Hells Canyon, a Christensen or a Tikka. I own a few lower end Savages and would love to stick with one, but not many options in 300 WM and no options in 300 PRC.

Only because you said you wanted a light weight rifle. The NF scope makes this a pound heavier than a good Leupold would. I assumed you would want the rifle, and the scope it with your choice of a lb lighter set up to meet your needs. Nothing wrong with this rifle at all. In fact I had it listed here with a lot of goodies. I will see if I can locate it and bump it up for you to see. I have developed a load for it and have tons of that ammo ready to go. I've shot it out to 1270 yards myself and it has more in it.