Shotgun patterning left

howl

WKR
One of the more common causes is the barrel was threaded for chokes out of alignment with the bore. You can waste a lot of money on chokes and ammo on a barrel that was just made wrong.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
With a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. That is why stock fit and a consistent cheek weld is so crucial with a shotgun. There is no need for the beads to be aligned as long as the sight picture is consistent. Adjust your cast and cheek weld until it patterns properly. If the beads being out of alignment bothers you pull the mid bead out. Many shotguns don't have one anyway. The mid bead is there to help with a consistent sight picture to confirm that you are shouldering the gun and placing your eye in the same location every time. It is not designed to be aimed like rifle sights.

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
With a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. That is why stock fit and a consistent cheek weld is so crucial with a shotgun. There is no need for the beads to be aligned as long as the sight picture is consistent. Adjust your cast and cheek weld until it patterns properly.

What you say is true from a wingshooting perspective, no question. No one needs a mid bead, I agree.

If they put a mid bead on the shotgun then your eye, the mid and the bead lined up should put the pattern in line. That is his issue and I agree. No one needs a mid-bead, but if they put one on, it should line up with the impact.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Eye dominance is a common issue to watch out for as well. Briley can make custom offset chokes to correct the issue if you must have the beads aligned otherwise you may need to have a gunsmith adjust the mid bead on the rib.

OP
ShortMountain91
Ok guys I have an update. I shot the gun with my dad. We both shot lead with the factory full choke and both shot dead on. Then we both shot some #2 steel with my new kicks high flyer full and both of us shot left (4 different shots). Also pulled the barrel and can't see any bend in it. Rib looks straight and beads look centered on the rib. I think I've moved on from the barrel being off theory. Seems like it's either the choke or shells but seems so weird to me that lead would should perfect but steel be shooting left out of the same gun. Any thoughts? And thanks again. Y'all have been super helpful while I try and track this down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is that choke rated for steel shot? Most guns don’t shoot steel in full chokes as steel usually patterns like a full when shot in a modified. Steel doesn’t compress when going through the choke like lead does and can ring the barrel when shot with to tight of a choke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
ShortMountain91
Is that choke rated for steel shot? Most guns don’t shoot steel in full chokes as steel usually patterns like a full when shot in a modified. Steel doesn’t compress when going through the choke like lead does and can ring the barrel when shot with to tight of a choke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is a kicks high flyer full which is rated for steel up BBB shot. They call it a full but the restriction size is more like a modified

ultraedge

FNG
It is a kicks high flyer full which is rated for steel up BBB shot. They call it a full but the restriction size is more like a modified

The truth of the matter is that the majority of shotguns do not shoot to the point of aim. The impact will change with different shells whether they are lead or steel shot. The real fix is to shoot the same shells all the time and have the point of impact corrected with a barrel press. Serious turkey hunters have been doing this for over 30 years.

Vandy321

WKR
You shot lead through the stock and steel through the kick's?

Maybe try shooting lead through both to rule out your steel shot causing an issue? If lead shoots fine in the kick's and stock, I'd maybe send the kick's back for a replacement/refund and try another choke, maybe a patternmaster built specifically for steel? I've had really good luck with their code black series.

OP
ShortMountain91

Maybe try shooting lead through both to rule out your steel shot causing an issue? If lead shoots fine in the kick's and stock, I'd maybe send the kick's back for a replacement/refund and try another choke, maybe a patternmaster built specifically for steel? I've had really good luck with their code black series.
Yes that's correct. I'm gonna try and shoot lead the kicks and shoot some steel through the other factory chokes and see if that leads me anywhere. I'm leaning toward it being a choke issue. If that's what the issue ends up being I'll definitely give the pattern master a look

OP
ShortMountain91

Yes that's correct. I'm gonna try and shoot lead the kicks and shoot some steel through the other factory chokes and see if that leads me anywhere. I'm leaning toward it being a choke issue. If that's what the issue ends up being I'll definitely give the pattern master a look

WCB

WKR
FYI, even in the same choke different shells can pattern different. Just like rifle bullets, shotgun shells can shoot different. Different speeds and wad designs and one brands #2 steel may shoot nice tight patterns dead on and the next brand or wad style may shoot same pattern just high/low left or right.

OP
ShortMountain91
FYI, even in the same choke different shells can pattern different. Just like rifle bullets, shotgun shells can shoot different. Different speeds and wad designs and one brands #2 steel may shoot nice tight patterns dead on and the next brand or wad style may shoot same pattern just high/low left or right.
Yes agreed. In the pictures on the OP that's 3 different brands of shells (although all cheap stuff). It's win super x BB, Kent's fast steel #2, and field and stream #2, all 3 in. I have some win dry lock #4 I might try as well and see if that tells me anything

OP
ShortMountain91
Well guys I called Browning and they suggested shooting the other factory chokes to see if it was a choke or barrel issue. Shot all chokes and 2 more types of shells (federal #2 and win dry lock #4) and the only thing where poi matches poa is lead shot through the factory full choke. I'm back on it being a barrel issue. Going to send it in after my duck hunt in IL. Guess I'll just aim right in the meantime

howl

WKR
Those pics just showed up for me. I don't see any wad holes. POI testing is done at 13, maybe 16 yards. If your factory chokes are putting standard loads to POA at that distance, then the factory did what they promised. Which is to say if the gun puts 1 3/8oz steel #3s on POA at 13 yards, then the barrel is fine.

You may be trying to do something the gun wasn't built for. Hard shot through tight chokes does weird things to POI. And there's shot to shot variation. You can use up a lot of shells chasing the center of the pattern. Within a few inches is good enough. I have shotguns that I used with super tight chokes and heavy loads of tungsten shot. They wear red dots.

OP
ShortMountain91
Those pics just showed up for me. I don't see any wad holes. POI testing is done at 13, maybe 16 yards. If your factory chokes are putting standard loads to POA at that distance, then the factory did what they promised. Which is to say if the gun puts 1 3/8oz steel #3s on POA at 13 yards, then the barrel is fine.

You may be trying to do something the gun wasn't built for. Hard shot through tight chokes does weird things to POI. And there's shot to shot variation. You can use up a lot of shells chasing the center of the pattern. Within a few inches is good enough. I have shotguns that I used with super tight chokes and heavy loads of tungsten shot. They wear red dots.
One of the pics has a wad hole (and it's left). Bottom line is 3 different chokes (2 stock and 1 aftermarket) and 5 different shells and they all shoot left. Even though I can't see it, it's gotta be a barrel bend or barrel thread issue. Browning very well might say it's good enough and I've killed plenty of ducks geese doves squirrels and turkeys with it but the perfectionist in me doesn't like it

2ski

WKR
I noticed that you said something about the gun fitting fine earlier. I just want to point out that the gun fitting to you doesn't mean what I think you think it means.

Double checking, that the gun is unloaded, shoulder the gun and have someone look down the barrel and see if the beads match up with your eye in a line. My buddy shouldered many shotguns before he found one that actually fit him. Most shotguns fit me. I learned this at a sporting clays seminar.

Truenorth

FNG
Hey I know I am reviving an old thread here but what was your final outcome from this situation? I am having the exact same issue with my new A5. Gun fits great but all chokes shoot left with the exception of the factory full that shoots dead nuts POA.

Planning on giving browning a call anyways but curious to know what you ended up having to do to correct it.

Macintosh

WKR
Hey I know I am reviving an old thread here but what was your final outcome from this situation? I am having the exact same issue with my new A5. Gun fits great but all chokes shoot left with the exception of the factory full that shoots dead nuts POA.

Planning on giving browning a call anyways but curious to know what you ended up having to do to correct it.
When you say you are having the exact issue, you mean you are aiming the gun like a rifle (for turkey hunting?) and the pattern is printing mostly left of your point of aim with multiple loads and chokes, even if you close your off-eye?

You may need to tag the op or quote one of their posts or they may not see it.