Shot placement

Shot a deer with my bow at 55 yds and didnt run 100 yds. I hit where I wanted It to. However had different responses on if it was luck or skill.
Just curious on thoughts. I’ve shot a lot of deer with my bow Just never tried this shot.

Attachments

• 58D9E429-C595-4606-A3D5-03812AC9D8C1.jpeg
    58D9E429-C595-4606-A3D5-03812AC9D8C1.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 07ED77CD-2090-4326-9DA2-BE226CDFD369.jpeg
    07ED77CD-2090-4326-9DA2-BE226CDFD369.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 290

RMM

WKR
Nothing wrong with that shot if you have the equipment to get it done.

Bump79

WKR
At 55 yds on a whitetail that is a low probability shot. If it stays put, great shot. I just wouldn't count on it not going bad quickly in different situation.

Ass shot ain't for me. If you hit the femoral it will put them down pretty quickly, but that ain't a big target.

I saw a buck that a guy hit this year very similar to where you did, he tracked it over 3 miles. Bumped it several times before it finally died.

Better shots to take with a bow in my mind, part of bow hunting is that you are waiting for the right shot.

4rcgoat

WKR
Ass shot ain't for me. If you hit the femoral it will put them down pretty quickly, but that ain't a big target.

I saw a buck that a guy hit this year very similar to where you did, he tracked it over 3 miles. Bumped it several times before it finally died.

Better shots to take with a bow in my mind, part of bow hunting is that you are waiting for the right shot.
^^^^ this. I passed on a lot of marginal shots this year,the stars have to line up before I release an arrow.

Titan_Bow

WKR
That’s a really low probability shot, especially at 55 yards. The only thing in the rear ham that is going to be lethal is the femoral artery. And even when you cut it, it usually results in a fairly prolonged death, even if they bed up with 100 yards are so.
I’d say at 55yards that errs on the side of luck versus skill, mainly because how much can happen between the release of the arrow and the impact.
Take a piece of rubber surgical hose, tie a small weight to it, hang it out in front of your target. Now go back to 55 yards and see how often you hit it. I would venture to say the average to above average archer is not going to consistently hit it. Add to that the tons of variables like movement, broadhead potentially deviating it’s path due to bone or meat, etc. etc. and you have a very low probability shot.
Congrats on the deer, glad you found him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
You shot a deer in the ham and it died 100 yards away. That's about as lucky as you can get.

Just a suggestion too: pull the arrow out of the deer for photos. Even if they are sticking out of the vitals. Makes a better picture.

Scoot

WKR
Poor choice taking that shot. The proof is definitely not in the pudding. Both distance and angle make that bad decision. Doesn't really matter if you can put it inside of a baseball sized target every time at 55 yards- targets don't move. I hope you take the feedback here and are open minded enough to learn from it.

Congrats on the buck.

^^^100
Low percentage shot at best. If you're proficient at 55 yards, you could've waited for a shot in the vitals. This screams, "look at me, look at me", and I hope you reconsider next time. "Sometimes you're the windshield and other times you're the bug", and this time you're the bug. I wouldn't be bragging or posting this nonsense as 99% of bow hunters are going to disagree with intentionally loosing an arrow at this location.

OP
S
I have no problem with criticism. That is why I asked. I see people do it on shows etc. doesn’t mean it’s right but thats what made me think its the only shot I’m going to get. I know I let frustration set in which may Or may not have built my confidence on I can do it. I am proud I stuck it right where I wanted it and it worked out better then I expected. Not saying I’d do it again

Travis907

WKR
Like most have said that’s a very low percentage shot with a lot of room for error and the very good possibility of wounding the deer. Should not be a shot you take on purpose! Take the ethical vitals shot and hope for the best. Congrats on finding your deer!

I’m confused, was his front half concealed and you intentionally shot at his hind leg? Or was he standing broadside and your shot missed, which is very common at 55 yards. If you intentionally shot at his hind leg like you’re claiming that is an asinine shot. If I were you I would at least claim that he was standing broadside and moved upon release, which is also guaranteed especially at that distance, and you hit his leg. That is 100% luck pal

Randle

WKR
Lucky poor choice to put it in the internet. That is not a good shot placement at all

Last edited:
OP
S
I’m confused, was his front half concealed and you intentionally shot at his hind leg? Or was he standing broadside and your shot missed, which is very common at 55 yards. If you intentionally shot at his hind leg like you’re claiming that is an asinine shot. If I were you I would at least claim that he was standing broadside and moved upon release, which is also guaranteed especially at that distance, and you hit his leg. That is 100% luck pal
He was quartering away from me. By placing the shot where i did it put the broad head directly in the vitals.

So if i shot him more forward there be a better chance the arrow would have been to far forward and maybe just got a lung or deflecting behind the shoulder and out the front.

To be clear i did not nor would i ever think shooting a deer broad side in the butt is a good idea.

The only reason i posted a picture of the deer with the arrow was to show the angle of the shot.

Ifk if I'd try to argue your point use it as a learning experience I'd say got lucky all day especially on a whitetail they move pretty quick. Just speculating but unless you have a 3 foot arrow idk if u got much more than liver and maybe 1 lung

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He was quartering away from me. By placing the shot where i did it put the broad head directly in the vitals.

So if i shot him more forward there be a better chance the arrow would have been to far forward and maybe just got a lung or deflecting behind the shoulder and out the front.

To be clear i did not nor would i ever think shooting a deer broad side in the butt is a good idea.

The only reason i posted a picture of the deer with the arrow was to show the angle of the shot.
OK, so I understood you were aiming for the femoral artery (which is about an inch in diameter at best from what I've seen) but you're saying you were aiming super steep quartering and landed it in the vitals (as in liver, lung, heart?)

that arrow looks like it ended in guts to me. Yes? no?

S-3 ranch

WKR
That’s a terrible idea a ham shot , I had a client hit a pronghorn in a ham
and we watched it run 4-5 miles before I could snipe him from 1000+ yards
with a spotter helping me walk in the shot