Short breeds for duck

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, the wife gave the go ahead to get a pup. However her requirement is that it has to be short enough to not jump on counters (last dog had a big counter surfing issue. Tried like hell to break it but that boy loved scraps). PNW weather. Good with kids, gets ducks. Nice is a plus haha. Anyone have any suggestions?

2ski

WKR
Start early on the counter jumping. And don't feed any people food. Like if you pull food from the counter and toss it on the floor, they learn. Like none. My guess is you guys were feeding the last dog people scraps?

Small dog that retrieves ducks...boyken spaniel.

TxLite

WKR
Saw a guy once that had a rat terrier (or something similar) he’d bring out with him in his kayak and have it retrieve ducks. Not sure I’d call it a duck breed though

KurtR

WKR
I would get a lab and train it like already said never give people food and from a young age never let it touch a counter. If wanting a short dog a Boykin you’re going to have to come way east to get a good one. There is only a few people I would buy one from. I have seen them jump up into a 6 foot high dog box so you will still need to train it not to get I. The counter.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Slight misunderstanding, the last dog was not a duck dog. He was a rescue who already had the previous behavior. I think it just traumatized my wife haha. We do a good job of not giving people food to them. But I appreciate the feedback. Labs are definitely on my list and I’m going to look into the Boykin. Not sure about a rat terrier though. That may be a over correction haha

KurtR

WKR
Sounds like just get a lab since you will be able to teach him manners getting as a pup. I have seen some nice boykins but you have to be a pretty good trainer and understand how they work. How serious of a duck dog do you need. Like 4 or 5 weekends a year or 60 plus days picking up a lot of birds. I run with some guys from Washington could check around what available.

Tod osier

WKR
Hey everyone, the wife gave the go ahead to get a pup. However her requirement is that it has to be short enough to not jump on counters (last dog had a big counter surfing issue. Tried like hell to break it but that boy loved scraps). PNW weather. Good with kids, gets ducks. Nice is a plus haha. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any dog can get on a counter, they just need to be trained not to.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like just get a lab since you will be able to teach him manners getting as a pup. I have seen some nice boykins but you have to be a pretty good trainer and understand how they work. How serious of a duck dog do you need. Like 4 or 5 weekends a year or 60 plus days picking up a lot of birds. I run with some guys from Washington could check around what available.
as much as I'd love to hunt every weekend. Life happens haha I'd say I hunt every other weekend. probably 10-15 hunts a season. Where in Washington? I am close to the Vancouver area.

KurtR

WKR
as much as I'd love to hunt every weekend. Life happens haha I'd say I hunt every other weekend. probably 10-15 hunts a season. Where in Washington? I am close to the Vancouver area.
Stanwood area. There is a pretty good group out in the west coast there.

Here is a good litter. Would fit what you want good