Short Boot Struggle Bus

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried and so far I have failed. I understand the draw to short boots. I know ounces equal pounds, especially on your feet but honestly I can't find a short boot that has adequate ankle support that fits my foot. The best set of boots I have ever owned were a set of Cabelas Meindl Extreme Hunters with 400g of thinsulate(a tall boot). For 5 years those boots put up with hell. Hiking hunting and snowmobiling. The time finally came and I had to say good bye. 2nd best set to date have been my crispi hunter gtx. (love them, insulated 12" tall boot) but obviously being insulated, they are a little warm for summer use. Uninsulated "warm weather" boots automatically seem to come with the short is better philosophy. Within that lies the problem. It's not going well for this cripple kid. Due to my CP my gate/stride is kinda jacked and I roll my left ankle a lot due to lack of support :/. My crispi briksdal have been great but they are still too short. I have tried crispi guides, lowa tibets, hanwag alverstones 2, sportiva trangos, meindl vakuum and comfort fit extremes(poor fit), kennetrek(fit awful), schnees and more. It seems anything uninsulated is under 10" tall. Is the anything that checks all the boxes that I'm missing? (fit similar to crispi, flex 4 rating, uninsulated and over 10" tall, basically an uninsulated crispi hunter gtx?). This marks year 3 of the summer boot search and I'm about at my wits end. Any recommendations?

Zamberlan 980 Outfitter boots. Checks every single one of your box's, I've been bashing mine for 5 years of 4 season use and they've been great. Still have enough tread for one more season, still waterproof and excellent ankle support.

OP
MTRaine

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl recently came out with an uninsulated comfort fit hunter. Not quite 10” high, but close.
I saw that however, Im probably done with Meind. My vakuum hunters had a pretty short life before coming apart and they were too soft in the ankle as well.

OP
MTRaine

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan 980 Outfitter boots. Checks every single one of your box's, I've been bashing mine for 5 years of 4 season use and they've been great. Still have enough tread for one more season, still waterproof and excellent ankle support.
Thanks I will look into them!

i have been through lots of boots. some i like others not so much. What has helped me out the most is Sheepfeet insoles. not sure what custom insoles your using but sheepfeet helped me out a bunch

OP
MTRaine

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
i have been through lots of boots. some i like others not so much. What has helped me out the most is Sheepfeet insoles. not sure what custom insoles your using but sheepfeet helped me out a bunch
I have a custom set built buy our local prosthetics and orthotics clinic. I also have a set of sheep feet on order to compare the two as I really don't feel like spending another $500 for another set. The orthotics/insole aren't the problem. It's the boot height that is the recurring issue.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Your title makes it look like you're struggling to find a short boot, but then it appears that you're actually looking for a tall boot. My favorite mountain hunting boots are Zamberlan Dakota 7" boots, but I also picked up the same boot in a 10" when they were discontinued and I couldn't find the 7" anymore. These are both light for their height and size (13's) and very comfortable. Closest thing I've found are some of the Crispi's.

cgr1971

FNG
I have a weak left ankle and pronation problems with it. I've tried everything except the Zamberlin in a short boot. The most ankle support I've found was a Hanwag Alaskan in size 11. The toe box was too small so I tried an 11w and 11.5 wide. That helped with the toe box issue, but the rest of the boot got too loose and the ankle support disappeared. The best ankle support I've found in an uninsulated boot is the Schnee's Beartooth Classic leather lined, and 0g for a membrane boot, both are 10" boots. I don't always need waterproof and the leather lined is great for comfort and breathability. However, I can't stand how hot they are in anything over 70 degress and prefer the lower boot above 60 degrees for coolness.

I currently wear Lowa Tibet leather lined for warmer weather when I don't need the waterproofing, and Ticams when I do. Neither give as much ankle support as I would like, but I deal with it. As soon as it's cool enough, my feet go back in the Beartooth's.

I need to order a pair of Zamberlins to try.