Short Barrel/Suppressed Rifle Options - What's the Best Value?

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
True on the first point. It's very easy to test with modern Chronographs.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Yeah. I’ve been very impressed how little velocity I have lost chopping my barrels. The supressor adds back about an inch worth of velocity also.

jcmcl18

FNG
just curious, for the tikka 6.5, what length would you cut and what threading would you plan to get? I have a tikka 6.5 t3x and am debating chopping it as I’d like to run a suppressor

Hnthrdr

WKR
A 16” 6.5 cm will get you closer to 600 yards while maintaining velocity adequate to disrupt eldm/x bullets. In my mind the tikka t3x cut and thread is a no brainer

Just doped out my 18" Tikka 6.5 Creed w/ Banish Backcountry today. Reloads with 43.0gr of H4350 shooting 147 ELDM's going 2640fps at the muzzle. Carries 1800fps out to 800 yds (~5500ft elevation).

400yd effective range with factory ammo and 18" would be easy peezy.

Good day,

Another option is the Savage 110 Carbon Predator in 18" or 22". It has a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel so you can practice more without the shift in impact due to thin barrel heating up after 3 shots, still need to keep the barrel cool though. I have found my new Savage to be very accurate. I prefer/love the Tikka action but I prefer the Savage 3 position, low profile, safety for hunting. Pick your bullet and velocity you want to shoot prior to deciding on a barrel length. I like shooting the 127G Barnes LRX, with the 18" barrel and a suppressor I tried multiple powders and could only get about 2576 FPS before I got pressure signs. That does not make for a 400 yard elk combination in my mind. Just another option, the 22" might be longer than most want but is a good compromise for velocity.

I will add to my post by saying that the action smoothness of the Savage is down right terrible. They used the spiral cut bolt body to reduce weight. I changed the bolt body out to a smooth one. I tossed the barreled action into a MDT chassis and use MagPul plastic magazines in it to keep it smooth. I have tried lots of magazines and MagPul is the smoothest after some grinding modifications.