Shooting prone

Last years goat was shot at 416 yards The rifle I used was bi-pod equipped (never seen the need for a tri-pod) It was a prone shot using my back pack for a rest. 2019 shot one 365 yards and used a bi-pod in the prone position. That year my hunting buddy also used a bi-pod to kill his goat it was a shot a bit over 600 yards. There nice to have. But are they absolutely necessary guess that’s something you will need to figure out. All three animals were well over a mile from where we parked the truck, so there is some concern on weight management.

jakeg

FNG
It all comes down to the unit you draw and how much vegetation there is. I have hunted flat units with little vegetation where prone shots are very much a normal part of the hunt but also hunted dense sage where sitting or kneeling is better to get over the brush. As others have said - probably 60-70% of shots are typically prone but if you make a good stalk so you aren't shooting too far sitting or kneeling shots could work as well.

Do your homework on which unit you pick to maximize the chance of success with limiting yourself on shooting positions.

Brickshot

FNG
You don't have to shoot from a prone position to hunt antelope. You can use tools like shooting sticks, bipods, or tripods to help you shoot accurately from other positions, like sitting or kneeling, which might be more comfortable for you.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I mostly seek scenarios where I can be prone but my next favorite is seated over sticks or bipod.

Anymore I am mostly looking over the shoulder of one of my boys and I have taught them to figure in a prone shot in their stalk scenarios.

Austink47

WKR
At one point we killed them with rocks. Don’t underestimate how deadly of a predator a man with a rifle is, even if he can’t shoot prone.

Weldor

WKR
Kinda in the same boat, broken back( 2 twice) repairs to the disc and vertabrae. I use a Trigger stick and usually kneeling or standing. No prone for me at all, probably look like a turtle trying to get back up.

xsn10s

WKR
I'd probably start using trigger sticks, or better yet a tripod. I used trigger sticks and a backpack as a rear rest while hunting rock chucks in tall grass. But have been looking to upgrade to a tripod with an acra rail.

If you pop up over a small ridge/hill could see em walking. And short standing shot might be required.

All really depends on how ya find em.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have never shot or hunted antelope but my son is on a competition rifle team. Allot of folks prefer or think prone is a more stable position but the proper sitting position when done correctly is much more stable. I wouldn’t worry about not being able to be in a prone position. Butt on the ground both feet on the ground. Arms wrapped around the knees, sling wrapped around forearm and rifle becomes cradled in the elbow crease. A small compact package. Your rifle set up is more important. His competition rifle along with his hunting rifle has the parallax adjusted for head movement. Cheek weld adjusted to when he gets in the rifle he already has full field of view immediately. With not searching or adjustments to remove the black ring. I know hunting has its own quick actions in a moment but if you have time to look and scoot. Use your body to adjust your left and right. I know this is not possible always. It just removes one more action to account for. Then you’re just having to adjust up and down not side to side and up and down. Now I know this is all subjective to the immediate situation. These are just fundamentals that can raise your shot percentages in a high adrenaline situation. Know your rifle and practice. You should be fine.

Allot of folks prefer or think prone is a more stable position but the proper sitting position when done correctly is much more stable
I just don't think that's the case at all. Are you referring to prone without any front rest or something?

Lowg08

WKR
I just don't think that's the case at all. Are you referring to prone without any front rest or something?
Yes without a front rest. If a pack or bipod can be used it is stable but in a hurry a free hand prone is not as stable. Your relying on your arms and such to be your rest on with a single elbow supporting the gun. Like a ball joint in a car it moves with weight transfer. We have been competing for nearly four years and for shooting without sand bags or bipod such as in a hurry hunting. Prone is not the most stable. They are not allowed to use a rest or any item to stabilize the rifle that the Lord didn’t give them.

He competes in prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. Final scope adjustments are made not on a bench but in the most stable shooting position. Which is sitting.

Yes without a front rest. If a pack or bipod can be used it is stable but in a hurry a free hand prone is not as stable. Your relying on your arms and such to be your rest on with a single elbow supporting the gun. Like a ball joint in a car it moves with weight transfer. We have been competing for nearly four years and for shooting without sand bags or bipod such as in a hurry hunting. Prone is not the most stable. They are not allowed to use a rest or any item to stabilize the rifle that the Lord didn’t give them.
That makes more sense then. Though I think most guys here are using bipods, with many using rear bags too.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken 8 or so antelope with a rifle, all have been shot sitting at less than 200 yards. The area I hunt has a lot of terrain so it is great for that style. I could see if you are hunting very flat terrain with short vegetation where shooting prone would be necessary. Maybe take this into consideration when picking what areas you are going to hunt

Lowg08

WKR
That makes more sense then. Though I think most guys here are using bipods, with many using rear bags too.
I’m sure most guys are using those things also but not every situation allows the set up time. I’ve seen many times on some YouTube videos that a hurry and shoot they fall to prone and miss allot of the time. Most of them don’t really know how to shoot prone. They lay in a straight line with the gun and that is a big no no.

I’m sure most guys are using those things also but not every situation allows the set up time. I’ve seen many times on some YouTube videos that a hurry and shoot they fall to prone and miss allot of the time. Most of them don’t really know how to shoot prone. They lay in a straight line with the gun and that is a big no no.
Well the proper prone position depends on whether you have a front rest. If you're resting your rifle on a bipod or backpack, being straight behind the rifle is the proper position. If you're shooting completely unsupported things get different but it takes about 2 seconds to deploy a bipod.

Lowg08

WKR
Well the proper prone position depends on whether you have a front rest. If you're resting your rifle on a bipod or backpack, being straight behind the rifle is the proper position. If you're shooting completely unsupported things get different but it takes about 2 seconds to deploy a bipod.
Yup yup. The front rest makes allot of difference. From steadiness to proper body positioning. I look at things a bit differently than some. I think true efficiency with a weapon comes from allot of range time and proper fundamentals in many shooting situations. Repeated fundamentals becomes habit. Now with all of that said. Throw adrenaline and an animal in the mix and some people just go brain dead. That’s why we hunt the adrenaline and the challenge. I wish I was like my kid. He is calm as a cucumber until he sees the animal dead then he’s all manners of undone. 75% of the guys I know use sand bags and some sort of rest. The other 25% just use the best shooting position for the situation. Like your drawers it’s up too ya.

If I couldn't shoot prone.
Id practice off horse back like Rooster Cogburn.

Id pop up over the hill and tell them goats, fill your hooves you sobs, and id take off at a full gallop straight at them all the while blasting.