Shooting from a tripod - Need advice

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Last year, before I knew better, I got the Night Stalker tripod with Reaper Grip thinking it would be a solid platform to shoot from and would allow me to more easily hunt some areas of the property I have access to. Since then I have tried to use it in practice multiple times and every time I get frustrated with how wobbly it feels to use. The tripod itself doesn’t seem wobbly at all but the ball head seems like it is difficult to lock down tight and keep steady on the target. I always end up switching to a bipod/prone setup as I get frustrated.

Is this how shooting off a tripod is typically or if I was using a RRS setup would the ball head lock up nice and tight and keep my reticle from moving around much while I’m getting ready to shoot? I don’t have any friends that share my hobbies so I have never used a tripod before this one and certainly don’t have access to a RRS one to try before I plunk down some serious cash for something like that.

Is using a tripod to shoot off of always going to feel a bit wobbly when trying to keep my crosshairs on the bullseye, do I need nicer equipment, or are there some techniques I need to work on? I have mostly tried a kneeling position as it seems the most stable but after practicing with it I don’t feel anywhere comfortable enough to use on an animal.

Also, is compatibility with ball heads and tripods a mixed bag or are there industry standards? If the ball head I have is the weak link I’d rather try to replace it first before spending the money on a complete RRS setup since the tripod itself seems to be adequate for my uses. Hoping to get some good advice from you more experienced guys as I know there are plenty here that really know their stuff.

Lawnboi

WKR
Look up some YouTube videos with shooting off a tripod. I am by no means an expert, but got a tripod and did a bunch of shooting off it this year, mine you not long range, but have no problem hitting 4” steel out to 250 off my tripod seated.

First thing you need to understand is that the tripod supports the front of the rifle, you still need to support the back, especially with a light gun. You don’t have the weight of a tactical or competition gun to really steady your rifle. For rear support try going seated and resting your elbow on your knee, placing a pack under the butt, or you armpit. If you can lock that arm down solid, that will be the steadiest, even better if you can get a pack or object directly supporting the stock, just like a bag in prone. I’ll occasionally use a small shooting bag wedged on top of my pack.

Position one leg away, and two towards. You want the rifle at bicep level, so you can lean into it a bit and manage the recoil.

Next up, especially with the clamp, that has some give, you need to put pressure on your fore end. A sling works great. There is much less play with a direct attachment such as the rrs, but i found with my pig saddle, that the rubber has some give. If I take my left hand and pull on the sling, holding the left tripod leg I can steady the rifle. Again I think a light rifle magnifies this, makes it much more difficult.

Personally I haven’t shot a lot of standing, or even kneeling with my 8lb tikkas, I just can’t get steady. If I can’t get seated, or have some kind of support, I’ll likely move around until I can or get closer.

I’m not sure a new head and tripod is the easy button. Granted my rrs anvil head locks solid, and is a great piece of equipment. There is definitely technique involved. I’d continue to play with what you have, if you decide an upgrade is needs then make it, but IMO throwing money at it will not help as much as punching primers.

Lastly the higher you get off the ground the more poor form effects the shot. A little punch or lack of recoil management might still give you a good group prone, but in seated or kneeling your mistakes will be amplified. I’m not near as steady seated as I am prone, but I still have no problem holding 2 MOA with my lightweight guns.

There’s some advice from an avid rifle shooter, don’t take what I said as gospel or even right but that’s what Iv found shooting a case or so off the tripod. Still learning every time I break it out.

Last edited:
OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Look up some YouTube videos with shooting off a tripod. I am by no means an expert, but got a tripod and did a bunch of shooting off it this year, mine you not long range, but have no problem hitting 4” steel out to 250 off my tripod seated.

First thing you need to understand is that the tripod supports the front of the rifle, you still need to support the back, especially with a light gun. You don’t have the weight of a tactical or competition gun to really steady your rifle. For rear support try going seated and resting your elbow on your knee, placing a pack under the butt, or you armpit. If you can lock that arm down solid, that will be the steadiest, even better if you can get a pack or object directly supporting the stock, just like a bag in prone. I’ll occasionally use a small shooting bag wedged on top of my pack.

Position one leg away, and two towards. You want the rifle at bicep level, so you can lean into it a bit and manage the recoil.

Next up, especially with the clamp, that has some give, you need to put pressure on your fore end. A sling works great. There is much less play with a direct attachment such as the rrs, but i found with my pig saddle, that the rubber has some give. If I take my left hand and pull on the sling, holding the left tripod leg I can steady the rifle. Again I think a light rifle magnifies this, makes it much more difficult.

Personally I haven’t shot a lot of standing, or even kneeling with my 8lb tikkas, I just can’t get steady. If I can’t get seated, or have some kind of support, I’ll likely move around until I can or get closer.

I’m not sure a new head and tripod is the easy button. Granted my rrs anvil head locks solid, and is a great piece of equipment. There is definitely technique involved. I’d continue to play with what you have, if you decide an upgrade is needs then make it, but IMO throwing money at it will not help as much as punching primers.

Lastly the higher you get off the ground the more poor form effects the shot. A little punch or lack of recoil management might still give you a good group prone, but in seated or kneeling your mistakes will be amplified. I’m not near as steady seated as I am prone, but I still have no problem holding 2 MOA with my lightweight guns.

There’s some advice from an avid rifle shooter, don’t take what I said as gospel or even right but that’s what Iv found shooting a case or so off the tripod. Still learning every time I break it out.
Thanks, you gave me a lot to think of and I can already tell by implementing some of that stuff will drastically change how I’ve been using it. By winging it on my own I just didn’t know what I didn’t know. I’ll check out some YouTube videos as well, I’d much rather feel comfortable with my setup before throwing money at the problem when a lot of the problem is me.

mt100gr.

WKR
Depending how you rig it, the tripod can support more or less of the rifle weight. This is a lightweight sirui tripod with a sirui ball head. Loaded rifle is in the 10lbs range, I think. It's very stable for seated shooting and 1st round hits at 500+ yards is the norm for me. I shoot a lot and like this as an option for some hunts since the tripod will always be along for glassing. It's very adaptable to shooting prone as well20190728_105609.jpg
20190728_105810.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR

Here’s my poor mans rrs setup, anvil head on a Hogg saddle tripod. I plan on getting an rrs tripod come spring, only thing I dislike of the current tripod is the head comes unscrewed when panning with the rifle if not loosened.

Iv got a lot to learn yet but it’s been fun, and is making me a better overall shooter I feel.

Ball heads are a lot more flexible and I've found "tippy" than a leveling base. Leveling bases don't let you tilt to extremes, but are enough movement that you can set the legs to compensate for any extreme angles.

The leveling base is basically half a ball.

A lot of people shooting off of tripods will take a sling from the tripod head to their belt, and sort of sit back, putting downward pressure on the tripod to stabilize it.

Local matches here have 2 MOA targets out past 800 yards with guys shooting standing off of tripods, so it is definitely do-able.

tdot

WKR
Is there a preference where along the stock to mount the tripod?

I've seen guys mount it at the end like a tripod, right next to then magazine, and everything in between. Why mount one or the other?

davsco

WKR
i have a hog saddle directly mounted on my tripod, no other head/ball in the middle. so i have to use a little force to get the rifle on target and that actually helps steady it some.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone experimented throwing a lightweight support bag over the binos for shooting?

I'm wondering if resting a Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer with the Git-Lite fill would be enough to avoid having a shooting head.

Lawnboi

WKR
Has anyone experimented throwing a lightweight support bag over the binos for shooting?

I'm wondering if resting a Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer with the Git-Lite fill would be enough to avoid having a shooting head.

Iv got a pint sized game changer, with the original lite fill (git lite came out post purchase) that works okay, but again it’s tough imo with a light gun. Works better than nothing, and I think the pint sized game changer is an awesome all around bag. It’s what I’ll be carrying this year in the woods and to the tree stand

cattleman99

Lil-Rokslider
If your tripod has a hook on the center column, try hanging some weight on it. Be it a ruck or anything else, it'll probably help stabilize the platform.

heh

FNG
I have the regular gamechanger with heavy fill and it is just as steady over my tripod as a pig saddle for me.

FLS

WKR
I use a Gamechanger on top of my Manfrotto. Not as solid as a RRS / Arca rail setup, but a lot cheaper.