Shooting at alert deer with a bow

Will_m

WKR
I normally never hunt on the ground but yesterday I found myself in an extremely poorly made ground blind and low and behold a doe popped out shortly before dark. The minute she stepped out of the broom sage she had me pegged but not enough to give her a good scare. After a few minutes of the typical head bobbing and nervousness she began to walk into a window for a shot but still focusing her attention on me, but she turned and looked back giving me a chance to draw. As soon as I came to full draw she focused her attention back on me and I released an arrow at what I estimated to be about 35 yards, and I swear it looked like that deer was almost gone by the time the arrow reached her. Needless to say she got away unscathed, but this got me to thinking..

Anybody had seemingly well placed shots go awry because the deer had you pegged when you shot? I know jumping the string used to be a big thing but I seldom hear of it anymore.

WoodBow

WKR
Best bet is to not shoot alert deer at all but if thats what you have to work with keep the shots 20 or in and aim for the lower third of the vital area. Even those things havent helped me this year. Ive never been ducked in the past but im having a hek of a time this year on whitetail. My shots are all 17 and in but im shooting a recurve. The issue is that my shot windows are small and i am having to mouth grunt at them to get them to stop, thus alerting them. Arrow will be headed right for the armpit and they will duck it clean. It has been a frustrating season.

I only hunt from the ground. All my time is spent, still hunting or stalking, wo most of my shots are at alert deer. Keep it within 20 yards and only release when they are not looking right at you, if they are slowly moving but nervous shoot them while moving don't try to stop them.