Shipping Food to Alaska via AmazonPrime - need ideas

Heading up to AK for my second DIY Alaskan moose hunt. Last time we hauled up 10 days worth of mountain house meals. It was fine, but we got a little burned out and have a contact up there now that is willing to receive and hold some food for us if we decide to ship it. I am working on a list and looking for some good ideas. Let me know what you got!

Good timing, me and my wife just made our meal/shopping list as we sat by the campfire Saturday during the kids’ nap time.

Breakfast
- instant coffee 2x/day
- Pre-made breakfast burritos (5 days worth, bring frozen and wrapped in foil)
- freeze dry (5 days worth)
- 2 different tiny hot sauce bottles

Lunch
- Pepperoni/salami/cheese sandwiches on sandwich thins. Pepperoni/salami is preserved enough that it’s fine for 10 days just chilling in a dry bag in the shade. Bring 3 different kinds of cheese and a couple sauces for some variety. Also bring some PB pouches for a couple days to add variety.
- cup of noodles x2. They’re bulky, but weigh nothing. Hit the spot on those days you’ve sat in the rain for 5 hours to start the day!

Supper
- freeze dry. I’ve picked through them all to know what I can enjoy for 10 days.
- family sized bag of doritos crushed up in a ziplock. Eat by the spoon and they hit the spot while waiting on freeze dry.
- tea. Supper for us is at 10pm when it gets dark. Tea hits the spot after a cold evening and before bed.
- stroopwafel for dessert. Great with warm tea.

Snacks
- any sort of homemade no bake cookie/bar
- candy bars/Lara bars
- custom trail mix
- applesauce/fruit/veggie pouch 2-3/day
- Costco fruit leathers
- moose jerky or Costco land jager sticks
- smoked salmon
- nuun hydration tablets

My camp kitchen is a jet boil, Mr Buddy rack for burritos, coffee mug, and long titanium spoon. I got 300 days a year I can sit home and make moose steak or eggs or whatever people are making. I only get to hunt moose 10 days a year so I spend that time hunting or sleeping. No chance I’m wasting a couple hours a day cooking and doing dishes. Plus I don’t want to bring another 50lbs worth of crap. I do bring a few sheets of folded foil, a stick of butter, a tiny bag of seasoning, and freeze dried mashed potatoes; but have never had the desire to start a fire and have moose for supper.

Giant salami and crackers. Ingredients for buttjole sandwiches ( crunchy pb is so much better). If possible vacuum seal and freeze chili, scrambled eggs, gravy, whatever else you like. Eat those the first few nights and switch over to peaks after that.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good timing, me and my wife just made our meal/shopping list as we sat by the campfire Saturday during the kids’ nap time.

Breakfast
- instant coffee 2x/day
- Pre-made breakfast burritos (5 days worth, bring frozen and wrapped in foil)
- freeze dry (5 days worth)
- 2 different tiny hot sauce bottles

Lunch
- Pepperoni/salami/cheese sandwiches on sandwich thins. Pepperoni/salami is preserved enough that it’s fine for 10 days just chilling in a dry bag in the shade. Bring 3 different kinds of cheese and a couple sauces for some variety. Also bring some PB pouches for a couple days to add variety.
- cup of noodles x2. They’re bulky, but weigh nothing. Hit the spot on those days you’ve sat in the rain for 5 hours to start the day!

Supper
- freeze dry. I’ve picked through them all to know what I can enjoy for 10 days.
- family sized bag of doritos crushed up in a ziplock. Eat by the spoon and they hit the spot while waiting on freeze dry.
- tea. Supper for us is at 10pm when it gets dark. Tea hits the spot after a cold evening and before bed.
- stroopwafel for dessert. Great with warm tea.

Snacks
- any sort of homemade no bake cookie/bar
- candy bars/Lara bars
- custom trail mix
- applesauce/fruit/veggie pouch 2-3/day
- Costco fruit leathers
- moose jerky or Costco land jager sticks
- smoked salmon
- nuun hydration tablets

My camp kitchen is a jet boil, Mr Buddy rack for burritos, coffee mug, and long titanium spoon. I got 300 days a year I can sit home and make moose steak or eggs or whatever people are making. I only get to hunt moose 10 days a year so I spend that time hunting or sleeping. No chance I’m wasting a couple hours a day cooking and doing dishes. Plus I don’t want to bring another 50lbs worth of crap. I do bring a few sheets of folded foil, a stick of butter, a tiny bag of seasoning, and freeze dried mashed potatoes; but have never had the desire to start a fire and have moose for supper.

So are you heating up the breakfast burritos on the rack above your boiling morning coffee water?

So are you heating up the breakfast burritos on the rack above your boiling morning coffee water?
I got burritos already on the rack when I go to sleep. Reach out the old fart sack when the alarm blows and start heater on low. After 10 minutes we’re cooked out of the sack. Flip burritos and start the coffee. We’re dressed, eating breakfast, and drinking coffee within 20 minutes of crawling out the bag. IMG_6803.jpeg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Got it! My mind was in backpacking…I’m going to have to get one of those racks 👍

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why not just buy food when you get up here? Even a 4 hour layover in anchorage would give you time to get a tote, fill it with stuff and get back with more than enough time to smash a few beers before making your connecting flight.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Why not just buy food when you get up here? Even a 4 hour layover in anchorage would give you time to get a tote, fill it with stuff and get back with more than enough time to smash a few beers before making your connecting flight.
We are flying into Bethel and our layover in Anchorage isnt that long. Then taking a smaller plane out of Bethel into one of the villages. So the amount of gear is still somewhat limited by the capacity of the smaller plane. They tell you if you bring more than X, it may not make it on the flight. This seemed easier than messing with gear and weight limits.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I got burritos already on the rack when I go to sleep. Reach out the old fart sack when the alarm blows and start heater on low. After 10 minutes we’re cooked out of the sack. Flip burritos and start the coffee. We’re dressed, eating breakfast, and drinking coffee within 20 minutes of crawling out the bag. View attachment 747053
Where do I get that burrito warmer?? That thing is the shit.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Recommend doing a burn in on it before using in any sort of shelter. The few I’ve had all had some machine oil on em that needed to be burned off.

Thank you. You know that picture of your breakfast setup, they could do a whole “Tipsy Tuesday “ just on that picture. Literally and figuratively!

MattB

WKR
I’ve found Peak meals to generally be better than Mountain House, for whatever that is worth.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I’ve found Peak meals to generally be better than Mountain House, for whatever that is worth.
I must not have a very refined pallet. I have several peak and mountain house and I can’t tell much of a difference 😬😂🤷🏻‍♂️

elkliver

WKR
You can buy foil pouches of canned chicken, just like the tuna fish packs. Add some Tortillas and you have chickens Tacos! A huge pouch of lettuce takes zero weight and you cant believe how much these add to your back country food experience

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I would buy some peak refuel to mix it up. More expensive but they’re much better. We eat really good on moose hunts, dual burning stove and the Mr buddy cooking grate. We cook in the tipi or under a tarp if there’s trees and sleep in a separate tent. We do float hunts for moose and always buy everything at Costco and pull from the deep freezers we keep stocked up there. We usually take moose, elk, caribou burger and steaks then chicken, salmon, brats, ribs, salmon jerky. Big tortillas, chalua, hasbrowns, cartons of liquid eggs, bear breakfast sausage, bacon then mix in left over meat from the night before for breakfast. We also take mashed potatoes, pasta, cheese, crackers, sliced charcuterie meat, a big bag of Candy, jerky and some other stuff. I know I’m missing some stuff but we definitely eat good.
d203ede84da12f38c84b071a04e8bdc8.jpg

a8f31050582a6a683ece4bcf2c249f87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucky44

FNG
Heading up to AK for my second DIY Alaskan moose hunt. Last time we hauled up 10 days worth of mountain house meals. It was fine, but we got a little burned out and have a contact up there now that is willing to receive and hold some food for us if we decide to ship it. I am working on a list and looking for some good ideas. Let me know what you got!
Been shipping most of our food supplies via Amazon prime to a remote AK village for our moose hunts and oct. bear hunt for the last 6 years. Shipping has worked great with few problems. Be patient, start early