Shipment cost of S. Africa shoulder mounts...

I have a relatively close-to-home trip lined up for next year, and the following year a buddy and I SHOULD be going to Alaska for a moose hunt. I say "should be" because there have been some obstacles to work around, but everything should be ironed out sometime this month.

In case Alaska did not work out, I was looking at some of the plains game packages that are available in parts of Africa. Chances are it will be a long time before it ever happens, but I'm still curious what total cost might wind up being. The one variable that I have yet to even ballpark, though is the cost of taxidermy transport? Anybody know ABOUT what 5 shoulder mount animals (say Kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, springbuck, and impala) would cost to have crated and shipped to lower us? I know there is transport cost, import fees, etc, and then the US transport from port of entry to me.

Thanks

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of variables there but I've gone over several times and had plenty of stuff shipped back. Cost is based on volume so it will depend on the animals you shoot and the size of their horns.
Based on the animals on you list I would say $1500-$2500.

As far as other costs, I have cleared my trophies myself and not used a customs broker thus saving me a decent amount of money. I leave near an airport that has USFWS office which allowed me to clear and pick them up myself, all in less than an hour. IF you have questions about hunting across the pond feel free to PM me here.

OP
P
Lots of variables there but I've gone over several times and had plenty of stuff shipped back. Cost is based on volume so it will depend on the animals you shoot and the size of their horns.

As far as other costs, I have cleared my trophies myself and not used a customs broker thus saving me a decent amount of money. I leave near an airport that has USFWS office which allowed me to clear and pick them up myself, all in less than an hour. IF you have questions about hunting across the pond feel free to PM me here.

Thanks. I'll just have $3,000 in back of my mind.

Roughout

FNG
Dip and pack only will reduce shipping and allow you to mount via your preferred taxidermist at any given time. Shipping cost for those should be $700-1200 if dip and pack only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
My opinion is get the them shipped back and then have them mounted here. Unless you can view the taxidermist's work while in Africa. I have not seen very many good mounts from people using the outfitters preferred taxidermist in Africa.

Hutty, the $1500-$2500 you are estimating is the cost for those 5 animals shipped if they are already mounted in Africa? Maybe you have more experience than I do but that seems more like the cost of just dip and shipping the capes and horns.

Keep in mind warthogs and bushpigs have to be shipped in a separate crate, adding to costs.
The above estimates seem pretty in line with what I’ve seen.
I’ve been there with 4 different outfits, and am happy to offer recommendations or who to stay away from if you want.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, Dip and Ship will be cheaper and if you have a taxidermist here in the states you like that's another option. There are some really good taxidermists in Africa and some really crappy ones. I've had work done over there and also done dip and ship. If you live near an airport that has USFWS you can save money clearing yourself. I have cleared all types of animals . Good luck if you decide to go across the pond. Its a fantastic place to hunt, with a lot of history and a lot of animals. IF you want go info on African hunting, no bull and professionals and hardcore hunters, look at Accurate Reloading. No ads, just info.

I’m waiting on my animals I shot in June of 2019. Shipping for the 8 animals heads and capes is $900. The dip and pack is another $1263. That is $2163 just to ship heads and skins from South Africa to Portland international Airport in Oregon where I live.
I am shipping 1 zebra hide and skull, 1 dieker skull, 1 dieker skull and hide, 1 gemsbok skull and hide, 1 nyala skull and hide, 2 impala skulls and hides, and 1 wildabeast skull and hide.

I wanted to have a local taxidermist do the actual mounts.