Sheridan Lake, South Dakota family trip

Here in a couple weeks we're hauling up to camp on Sheridan Lake, SD.

My whole crew (my wife and I, and 5 kids ages 1-9) along with our neighbors and their 3 kids.

We love to fish, so I'd love to get the scoop on the reservoir and the creek below it. Worth renting a boat for a day?

Also, any other activities in that general area that we should make sure to do? Mount Rushmore? Bear Country?

KurtR

WKR
Get some worms and bobbers and you can catch stocked trout all day. Bear country i guess is cool for kids to see animals they have not seen before. My favorite thing out there is to rent side by sides and trail ride.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Get some worms and bobbers and you can catch stocked trout all day. Bear country i guess is cool for kids to see animals they have not seen before. My favorite thing out there is to rent side by sides and trail ride.
Can you rent side by sides nearby?

I'll set my kids up with worms and bobbers. How bout if I want to fly fish in spring creek? How big of a "creek" are we talking? Is it a typical tailwater that isn't too blown up by runoff? I've read about bass, Pike, perch, etc. in the lake. Are they in the creek as well, or just trout?

KurtR

WKR
Can you rent side by sides nearby?

I'll set my kids up with worms and bobbers. How bout if I want to fly fish in spring creek? How big of a "creek" are we talking? Is it a typical tailwater that isn't too blown up by runoff? I've read about bass, Pike, perch, etc. in the lake. Are they in the creek as well, or just trout?
I don’t think there are anything but trout in the creek. If it’s like most creeks it’s may 10-15 wide and not much bigger with just trout in it. I would guess there is some where close to rent the sxs their are a bunch of places in the hills to get them and your pretty much with in an hour from anywhere there. The hills will be getting real busy here from Memorial Day on so I would plan ahead if you want to go some where or rent something . I usually stay up north to avoid most of it when we go out there.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think there are anything but trout in the creek. If it’s like most creeks it’s may 10-15 wide and not much bigger with just trout in it. I would guess there is some where close to rent the sxs their are a bunch of places in the hills to get them and your pretty much with in an hour from anywhere there. The hills will be getting real busy here from Memorial Day on so I would plan ahead if you want to go some where or rent something . I usually stay up north to avoid most of it when we go out there.
Thanks my friend!

KsRancher

WKR
I think we camped at Sheridan lake around 30yrs ago. I remember was how clear the water was and you could see WAY down deep. The size of the trout I remember seeing were enormous. And if I remember correctly there is a cliff that is probably 25ft above the water that you could jump off of and into the water.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I think we camped at Sheridan lake around 30yrs ago. I remember was how clear the water was and you could see WAY down deep. The size of the trout I remember seeing were enormous. And if I remember correctly there is a cliff that is probably 25ft above the water that you could jump off of and into the water.
I've seen pictures of some big trout, as well as other species out of there.

I hope the big trout also make their way in to the creek. My preference is a fly rod in moving water.

shwacker

FNG
Spring Creek is decent fishing in places. Bear country and reptile gardens are cool for the kids. The NPS caves are good if you are into that kind of thing. Sylvan lake is nice with good mellow hikes around. Lots of good hikes or just wander in the woods. The school of mines in RC has a pretty good little free geology/paleontology museum. Great place for a family vacation.