Sheep scope tripod?

USMCret

FNG
So I’m pretty sure that I have decided to go with a Kowa 66. Any comment on that? What I really need help with is MAKE and MODEL of a reliable tripod and the weight of yours and maybe where to get the best price on it if you know.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Are you really suggesting at $1000 tripod ? At 3lbs?
The best of the best ain't cheap, especially if you plan to shoot off it.

I use the aziak backcountry and their lite ball head. Comes in at 25oz. Works well for my binos and kowa 77. I haven't shot off it yet. Surely not as rock solid as something heavier, but I'll take the trade off for hiking in.

I was thinking of just for glassing, but what options are for both?
With a tripod that you will shoot off of you will want to have a sturdier tripod capable of bearing more weight. Look at the specs here (I am not saying you need to spend that much on a tripod, but illustrates the example)… one is for mainly glassing but a little shooting, series two for a good tripod capable of both, and series 3 is for primarily shooting.

If you get too flimsy of a tripod it will be more difficult to steady the rifle.

schmalzy

WKR
For just using a spotter, I’d try the aoka off amazon. It’s not robust and you aren’t shooting off of it, but works well enough on a 65ish spotter to take a look at rams.

Weighs significantly less and is super easy to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyG

WKR
For just using a spotter, I’d try the aoka off amazon. It’s not robust and you aren’t shooting off of it, but works well enough on a 65ish spotter to take a look at rams.

Weighs significantly less and is super easy to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up one of these trying to lighten my kit this year. I've gone through a handful of tripods for sheep and have only really found one that I have been happy with, Velbon Ultra Luxi 2, but at 2lbs, I wanted something lighter. Additionally, after a decade of hard use, some of the joints had loosened up to the point where the wiggle was becoming problematic.

For less than $100, made in China, off of Amazon, weighing less than a pound, I was expecting to get this thing and toss it in the trash immediately. I wound up being super impressed. Used it on two sheep hunts this year and couldn't be happier with it. It is surprisingly well made and durable for its ultralight weight. Obviously it hasn't withstood years of abuse, but my initial impressions are that it will last long enough to pay for itself.

For what it is worth, I do practically all of my glassing for sheep sitting down and so I am not using this tripod, or any others, fully extended, but rather in a pretty compact profile.

Both partners I've used this spotter with purchased one as soon as we got home from the trip.