Sheep Optic Systems

Hey there,

I currently run Maven B.2 9x45 because I like to glass from a tripod and a vortex razor HD 65mm spotter.

Considering going to Zeiss SFL 10x30 or Swaro CL 10x30 binocs.

Then doing a swaro STS 65 mm spotting scope or a zeiss Dialyt 65.

Trying to shave some weight because I spend little time glassing with my larger binocs and it would be nice to have better spotter for judging sheep.

Any thoughts or comments would be great!

Thanks.

cbarg14

FNG
Hey there,

I currently run Maven B.2 9x45 because I like to glass from a tripod and a vortex razor HD 65mm spotter.

Considering going to Zeiss SFL 10x30 or Swaro CL 10x30 binocs.

Then doing a swaro STS 65 mm spotting scope or a zeiss Dialyt 65.

Trying to shave some weight because I spend little time glassing with my larger binocs and it would be nice to have better spotter for judging sheep.

Any thoughts or comments would be great!

Thanks.
If you're looking for a premium spotter, low weight, easy to pack you might try the Swaro STC. Love mine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
M
If you're looking for a premium spotter, low weight, easy to pack you might try the Swaro STC. Love mine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I have had my eye on that, but I like the higher zoom for determining legality before getting close.

Forgot to mention, this would be hunting dall sheep in Alaska.

The SFL’s are a fantastic choice, though I would recommend the 40mm objective over the 30’s. The 40’s are incredibly light and compact for what they are and will work alot better for you in sub optimal lighting conditions.

OP
M
The SFL’s are a fantastic choice, though I would recommend the 40mm objective over the 30’s. The 40’s are incredibly light and compact for what they are and will work alot better for you in sub optimal lighting conditions.
Awesome, thanks for the information. Do you think its worth looking closer at the swaro NL pure 10x42? I know it is a personal call, but does the better glass worth the increase in price?

Since daylight hours are typically very long for sheep hunts, viewing light is typically not an issue. So I think the ideal sheep combo would be Swarovski NL 12x42 and the Swarovski STC.

I own neither of these optics (though I plan to). I do own several different choices in Swaro. For my Dall hunt I took SLC 10x42 and ATX 65. This combo worked great.

Based on specs and reviews, the Zeiss SFL 10x40 seems like a great ounce counting choice as well.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would look hard at the Kowa 66mm Prominar. I use a pack to lay my spotter on a lot, and the focus of the Swaro's doesn't work as well doing that. I prefer the top knob style focus. Glass wise, either is at the top of the heap.

The Zeiss SFL's are a step above the Swaro CL line IMO. For size/weight they are impressive.

Jeremy

I much prefer glassing with a tripod and when I went on my Dall hunt I had 10x42 Swaro ELs and they worked fine but at distance I was wishing I had more power. I spent a lot of time with my guide glassing for bear after killing my ram. Last year when I had a Cali ram tag in NV I treated myself to a new pair of NLs but this time in 12x42s and it was nice having the extra power in the open country. Just something to consider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d look for other areas to cut weight. I always carry NL 12’s (w/ tripod adapter) and an ATX 95mm. Typically my sheep hunts are 10-12 day backpack hunts. If you absolutely need to reduce weight…I’d only compromise on the spotter, by carrying an ATS/STS 65mm. Which is what my sheep hunting partner carries. (No, we don’t share a single spotter)

From my perspective- the three places to not cut weight (too deeply) are; 1) Optics, 2) Rifle, 3) Backpack (I use Kifaru packs).

I cut weight deeply on just about everything else…

waspocrew

WKR
I’d look for other areas to cut weight. I always carry NL 12’s (w/ tripod adapter) and an ATX 95mm. Typically my sheep hunts are 10-12 day backpack hunts. If you absolutely need to reduce weight…I’d only compromise on the spotter, by carrying an ATS/STS 65mm. Which is what my sheep hunting partner carries. (No, we don’t share a single spotter)

From my perspective- the three places to not cut weight (too deeply) are; 1) Optics, 2) Rifle, 3) Backpack (I use Kifaru packs).

I cut weight deeply on just about everything else…

Good info- I just picked up some NL12s a few weeks ago. Was thinking my ATX 85 would be a little too big, but sounds like I could reevaluate. My hunt isn’t until 2026, but never too early to obsess over all the details haha.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do own several different choices in Swaro. For my Dall hunt I took SLC 10x42 and ATX 65. This combo worked great.

This is exactly what I brought for my Dall hunt; never felt I was giving anything up with that combo.

I do own a ATC now and for a guided hunt, I'd probably bring that instead of the 65 (w/ the guide brining what he is comfortable with determining a legal ram). After bringing a spotting scope on my guided hunt, I would do the same again vs leaving it behind.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
My sheep parter is moving out of state and he has an ATS65 which is phenomenal to look out of. We would split the package up (he carried the spotter and I carried the slic tripod). Since I'm now most likely going solo for the next while. I have my eye on the ATC. lightweight and doesn't take up a bunch of room in a pack. In my ever evolving knowledge search, or ADHD (not sure which) those are very key qualities to me.. would I like to try the atc on a mountain and actually look at sheep, goats, moose and bears before I bought it. Sure. But if it's anything like the ATS my partner had, I'm sure it won't be disappointing. I can't give you any direction on binos as I run leupold BX2 12x52s. Just figured I'd toss my .02 in the pot

WRO

WKR
My sheep parter is moving out of state and he has an ATS65 which is phenomenal to look out of. We would split the package up (he carried the spotter and I carried the slic tripod). Since I'm now most likely going solo for the next while. I have my eye on the ATC. lightweight and doesn't take up a bunch of room in a pack. In my ever evolving knowledge search, or ADHD (not sure which) those are very key qualities to me.. would I like to try the atc on a mountain and actually look at sheep, goats, moose and bears before I bought it. Sure. But if it's anything like the ATS my partner had, I'm sure it won't be disappointing. I can't give you any direction on binos as I run leupold BX2 12x52s. Just figured I'd toss my .02 in the pot

Get the STC, the hinge point is far enough back that it doesn’t matter, I run big angled but the small straight is the cats ass.