Shed Dogs on elk....looking for advice

rbljack

WKR
We picked up a Chocolate Lab puppy and at 6 months he went to professional training for obedience and basic gun dog training. We get our "Gunner" back next week. He is now trained up to the level of single retrieves on ducks on land and in water. He completes his training on 30 March and we pick him up and he's coming home. Hoping to train him for elk and deer sheds this spring, I bought the rubber deer shed/scent kit and plan to start with that. I also have shed deer antlers here to move into as he progresses. (unrelated but I also have an e collar, numerous bumpers and the DT launcher to continue his training progression over the spring into summer).

For those who have shed dogs that go for elk.....any differences in training? Gunner is a BIG male lab, so he will be able to pick up the larger stuff with no problem. Just looking for tips on training, etc. Im 5 hours from the Mtns of NM, so trips out there are my best option for actual field time (we live in West Texas).

My spring/summer plan is to work on the shed training, and the dove/quail retrieve training, along with a whistle sit. Lastly, I plan to get a momarsh invisilab blind for him so we can work on "Kennel" training and steadiness in the blind.

Wrench

WKR
I cut up a couple bulls I killed the year my pup was born. The fresh has a definite odor. I would plant them wearing gloves and rubber. My pup was given pieces to play fetch with around the house.

When she got into the first few bones in the field I was ready with treats.....then it was on.

Sadly,

That dog died last season and my new pup was late for elk season.....but I am confident I can do it again.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
I cut up a couple bulls I killed the year my pup was born. The fresh has a definite odor. I would plant them wearing gloves and rubber. My pup was given pieces to play fetch with around the house.

When she got into the first few bones in the field I was ready with treats.....then it was on.

Sadly,

That dog died last season and my new pup was late for elk season.....but I am confident I can do it again.
Thanks wrench. I hope to be in NM turkey hunting in a few weeks. Hoping I can find 1 fresh shed to use for training this spring with him.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We can relate, we had to put both of our dogs down two years ago (3 weeks apart) for age related issues/seizures etc. both were mutts, but they were the two best family dogs we ever had and were super easy to train. They weren't trained as field dogs, bird dogs or anything like that, just good family members at we miss a BUNCH.

Now we have this monster lab (he was over 80 pounds at 8 months old and not fat) with TONS of retrieve drive and loves the water. We knew he was a "high drive" lab at about 4-5 months which is what led us to send him to a professional trainer.

The trainers asked if we could keep him there a few more months for advanced training and AKC tests, but we just can't afford it.

For those curious, in our area pro training means $850 a month, for a 4 month Obedience and Basic Gun Dog Training package). That gets expensive quick. Then, if he goes to the field tests, its another 60-100 entry fee for each test, and $75 for the trainers to run him for each test. They have jr, sr, and master test levels and they have to pass each level multiple times to earn Jr, Sr and Master on their AKC papers if we wanted to go that route.

KurtR

WKR
Thanks wrench. I hope to be in NM turkey hunting in a few weeks. Hoping I can find 1 fresh shed to use for training this spring with him.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We can relate, we had to put both of our dogs down two years ago (3 weeks apart) for age related issues/seizures etc. both were mutts, but they were the two best family dogs we ever had and were super easy to train. They weren't trained as field dogs, bird dogs or anything like that, just good family members at we miss a BUNCH.

Now we have this monster lab (he was over 80 pounds at 8 months old and not fat) with TONS of retrieve drive and loves the water. We knew he was a "high drive" lab at about 4-5 months which is what led us to send him to a professional trainer.

The trainers asked if we could keep him there a few more months for advanced training and AKC tests, but we just can't afford it.

For those curious, in our area pro training means $850 a month, for a 4 month Obedience and Basic Gun Dog Training package). That gets expensive quick. Then, if he goes to the field tests, its another 60-100 entry fee for each test, and $75 for the trainers to run him for each test. They have jr, sr, and master test levels and they have to pass each level multiple times to earn Jr, Sr and Master on their AKC papers if we wanted to go that route.
Who did you send him to? Those rates are about right on. The cost of running a kennel is high. We got our hrch last year need 6 master passes to get the mh this year. I think for the sheds just get him finding and excited and natural talent will take over . Unless you want another expensive hobby don’t go run any tests it’s addictive and I can’t wait for the snow to melt to get back to training hard every day.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Who did you send him to? Those rates are about right on. The cost of running a kennel is high. We got our hrch last year need 6 master passes to get the mh this year. I think for the sheds just get him finding and excited and natural talent will take over . Unless you want another expensive hobby don’t go run any tests it’s addictive and I can’t wait for the snow to melt to get back to training hard every day.
Yeah Im finding that out Kurt....LOL. I did join a local HRC club to attend training events. And yes, those rates were inline with a few others we looked at. Not sure if its ok to post that ( the actual name of the trainer/biz) info on here, but we are very happy with the level of training he received and the place is about 3.5 hours west of us in Decatur Texas that specializes in Labs. The head trainer does a lot of work in the AKC testing and I think field trials as well.

KurtR

WKR
Yeah Im finding that out Kurt....LOL. I did join a local HRC club to attend training events. And yes, those rates were inline with a few others we looked at. Not sure if its ok to post that ( the actual name of the trainer/biz) info on here, but we are very happy with the level of training he received and the place is about 3.5 hours west of us in Decatur Texas that specializes in Labs. The head trainer does a lot of work in the AKC testing and I think field trials as well.
Shouldn’t be a problem putting the kennel on here others have. If it is who I think you are going to have a dang nice dog they do really good work and results to back it up. Hrc is a fun venue and club days are a good way to keep training in the off season and make new friends.

Mojave

WKR
If your shed hunting here in New Mexico, you absolutely cannot take skulls. Taking Home skulls is considered to be poaching.

Toner44

FNG
There’s several videos on YouTube. I have 3 dogs all trained on sheds. Also all three are mutts from rescue shelters. 2 part lab, 1 pitbull.

It’s easier than people think I’m not a dog trainer. When it comes to sheds, I started just letting them play w sheds, get them excited about it, maybe throw it a few times. Then hide sheds in the house, start very easy where it can be seen. You always want them to find it even if you have to help them. Build from there. My 3 hammer sheds and I’m not very smart.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Shouldn’t be a problem putting the kennel on here others have. If it is who I think you are going to have a dang nice dog they do really good work and results to back it up. Hrc is a fun venue and club days are a good way to keep training in the off season and make new friends.
Its Cripple Creek Retrievers in Decatur. CCR for short. They have done a fine job at training him and excited to get him back home.

WBrim

WKR
There’s several videos on YouTube. I have 3 dogs all trained on sheds. Also all three are mutts from rescue shelters. 2 part lab, 1 pitbull.

It’s easier than people think I’m not a dog trainer. When it comes to sheds, I started just letting them play w sheds, get them excited about it, maybe throw it a few times. Then hide sheds in the house, start very easy where it can be seen. You always want them to find it even if you have to help them. Build from there. My 3 hammer sheds and I’m not very smart.
I was hoping to see an answer like this- gives me a little optimism I can pull it off. An extended family situation landed me with a 9 month yellow lab unexpectedly. I’d sure like to get him to gather sheds.

Toner44

FNG
You can do it man, way easier than made out to be. I forgot to mention, I’ve trained them all on REAL antlers. Not the rubber ones and also I tried the scent you can buy on one of my dogs and wouldn’t recommend it. If ya need any help don’t hesitate to hit me up. Hope your lab slams some horns this year!!

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Thanks Toner44. We got out to do our first training session today. Used the rubber antler and was pitching into the tall grass for him to "mark" and find/retrieve. It went well on day 1. I tried to keep it similar to his previous training so there is some "carry over". He was able to get out there and locate the antler and bring it back with a nice delivery each time. Lots of praise of course. So we are off to a start anyways. I have a handful of whitetail sheds I will start to incoropate here in a week or so after we get a solid foundation. He seems to like the antlers as much as the bumpers so thats good.

Adding to this.
I worked my family lab with antlers and having fun/giving praise does well. Turns out ours was a treat loving monster. Lol
The suggestion to wear gloves or take precautions for human scent is a good one. I often left a pile outside so sun and rain would clean them.
Inside tricks included under beds, in closets and traveling multiple rooms when placing a shed. Then "find it!"
Outside we had developed to having sheds dropped ahead of time. Then walking downwind. Seeing her turn and beeline to the scent was good times.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just like any dog training, repetition, reward, making it fun and time afield you can make it a great time. This was Odins 4th season and he has figured it out. Watched him find buried elk and deer sheds out of the snow this year. He has grown up with antlers and gets time every day to play with them. Good luck🤙 Also this dogs drive is overboard and crazy whether it is water time or antlers he goes 110%! so much so the mrs was close to saying take him back🤣

Attachments

• FBFAE658-E59E-4940-8351-47B38BB07FB5.jpeg
    FBFAE658-E59E-4940-8351-47B38BB07FB5.jpeg
    666.6 KB · Views: 48
  • A4327F00-DFC2-484A-AF4E-3B0733A206C7.png
    A4327F00-DFC2-484A-AF4E-3B0733A206C7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • D97E1B5A-ABDD-43D8-B6F6-755BD8FBABD9.jpeg
    D97E1B5A-ABDD-43D8-B6F6-755BD8FBABD9.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 38
  • 4572C698-B82E-4ACE-AE6B-2091801614F7.jpeg
    4572C698-B82E-4ACE-AE6B-2091801614F7.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 6D664991-3A8D-444D-BBB5-763764E87B62.png
    6D664991-3A8D-444D-BBB5-763764E87B62.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • ACBF350A-B78B-426C-AAA8-C89F3B03B13E.jpeg
    ACBF350A-B78B-426C-AAA8-C89F3B03B13E.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 18001A10-5A70-425B-B45D-C73D3CE5A127.jpeg
    18001A10-5A70-425B-B45D-C73D3CE5A127.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0ABC5A09-0018-4920-BD82-AE91060ED752.jpeg
    0ABC5A09-0018-4920-BD82-AE91060ED752.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DA6BC6A7-DB15-4C48-9A11-9CAD0082B5EB.jpeg
    DA6BC6A7-DB15-4C48-9A11-9CAD0082B5EB.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 48
OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Just like any dog training, repetition, reward, making it fun and time afield you can make it a great time. This was Odins 4th season and he has figured it out. Watched him find buried elk and deer sheds out of the snow this year. He has grown up with antlers and gets time every day to play with them. Good luck🤙 Also this dogs drive is overboard and crazy whether it is water time or antlers he goes 110%! so much so the mrs was close to saying take him back🤣
It must be a chocolate lab thing....our lab gunner is now 13 months old and the drive/desire to retrieve is off the charts. the trainers had to really work hard on steadiness. He watches bumpers get throw and its like crack to him!! LOL...he will shake all over and eyeball the marks. Then when the "back" command gets called....the holeshot is something to see.....LOL. Our spring shed hunting trips were overcome by events, but Im still trying to get training time in when I can. Need to start working towards fall dove hunt. Cant believe its only a few months away until his FIRST bird season.....so excited.

Try the search function. Topic has been covered quite a few times. Have trained both of my dogs with the kit you described in your post. Keep training short and fun. Started in my living room with rubber sheds and slowly worked my way into larger areas. Would scent the antlers and place the night before with gloves to avoid any human scent. Always end of a good note.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Try the search function. Topic has been covered quite a few times. Have trained both of my dogs with the kit you described in your post. Keep training short and fun. Started in my living room with rubber sheds and slowly worked my way into larger areas. Would scent the antlers and place the night before with gloves to avoid any human scent. Always end of a good note.
This thread has been not responded to for the last 9 months and your response is try the search function? Try the look at the date of the last post function.