SG Terminus or SG sky 5900 for goat hunt.

bascott1

WKR
Got a goat hunt beginning of august in B.C for goats. Looking at either the terminus 7000 or sky 5900. Guide said he likes to keep the weight around 35 lbs. leaning towards the terminus. Carrying an 8lb hille Kaitum 2 gt as my tent so figuring a lighter pack offsets the heavy tent. What’s y’all preference. Normally run a kifaru 26” frame and day bag for my elk hunts. Just wanting to try SG for the ultra light weight.

For what it's worth as I've never hunted BC (I have been on a few goat hunts though), but an 8 lb. Hille for a solo shelter on an early Aug. hunt seems extremely heavy and overkill to me. JMHO. There are a few other things to consider with your hunt. How many days in the field, and what are you going to be responsible for carrying both into and out of the field? Are you taking your own spotting scope, or any other large personal items? The wt. difference between the two packs that you're considering is pretty nominal, but the size difference is not. I had both, but sold the 5900 bag because I have several SG bags that I prefer, and I also prefer a load cell. Given that the Terminus does not have a load cell, you will probably need the extra carrying capacity, especially if you're successful. Unfortunately I still haven't had a successful hunt with the Terminus, so I can't comment on packing a full camp plus an animal into it. Given the size of the tent you're taking, I would recommend the Terminus pack.

ljalberta

WKR
If you don’t mind carrying meat in the bag (bring a contractor bag to put your gear in so blood doesn’t seap through) then the Terminus is a fantastic option. As noted above though, it really depends on what gear you’re carrying. Once that internal cell is full of meat, you have to be sure you can get the rest of your gear in.

Personally, the Terminus 7k is my favourite bag I’ve used. For early season extended trips, it’s a dream. I love the simplicity of the design, the weight, the material, and the internal cell (minus cleaning it is a challenge). But if I was going an extended late season hunt I would move up a size for greater gear capacity.

It’s worth paying attention to which stays you need in the pack as well.

nobody

WKR
Major SG fan here. Downside to the Terminus designs is you have to take meat volume into your capacity calculations.

For the Sky 5900, you've got 5900 cubic inches of gear space no matter how much meat you have in the load shelf. IDK where I heard it, but I think I remember hearing that a Stone Glacier load shelf has roughly a 2500 cubic inch volumetric capacity. So in the case of a Sky 5900, you have 8400 cubic inches of total load capacity in the system. 5900 in the bag layout, and 2500 in the load shelf.

You would have to jump to their new Terminus 8700 to get the same capacity, and then STILL worry about separating bloody cargo from non-bloody cargo.

I love me some SG, but I literally can't think of a reason why I would ever buy a Terminus system over their traditional bag on frame systems. Feels like going backwards in technology.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
For what it's worth as I've never hunted BC (I have been on a few goat hunts though), but an 8 lb. Hille for a solo shelter on an early Aug. hunt seems extremely heavy and overkill to me. JMHO. There are a few other things to consider with your hunt. How many days in the field, and what are you going to be responsible for carrying both into and out of the field? Are you taking your own spotting scope, or any other large personal items? The wt. difference between the two packs that you're considering is pretty nominal, but the size difference is not. I had both, but sold the 5900 bag because I have several SG bags that I prefer, and I also prefer a load cell. Given that the Terminus does not have a load cell, you will probably need the extra carrying capacity, especially if you're successful. Unfortunately I still haven't had a successful hunt with the Terminus, so I can't comment on packing a full camp plus an animal into it. Given the size of the tent you're taking, I would recommend the Terminus pack.
Only tent I can fit in. I’m 6’6” and thought about running floorless tipi but didn’t wanna take a chance with the bugs.

Only tent I can fit in. I’m 6’6” and thought about running floorless tipi but didn’t wanna take a chance with the bugs.
I hear ya, but man you could sure shave a bunch of wt. if you went with something like a HMG Ultamid 2 or 4, coupled with a nest, if you thought bugs would be an issue. I pretty much only use tipi's anymore for all my mountain hunts, and even when sheep hunting in early/mid Aug. I've never had any issues with bugs (in AK anyway). I've done moose hunts in areas where it was pretty buggy and with a floorless tipi, the bugs always seemed to congregate up at the apex, so they were still not much of a problem. Another option if you didn't want to deal with a nest is to just use a UL wt. bivy, like a Borah Gear and clip it up inside the tipi to keep the netting off your face. My favorite set up for two people is an Ultamid 4 and BG bivy. Total wt. with bivy and including designated carbon fiber pole and all stakes is 51 oz. It offers a ton of room (including being able to stand up in) for two people, and is very storm worthy. Anyway, just a little food for thought.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
I have no issues going floorless. Saving the weight will not hurt my feelings at all. Was a little worried with the thoughts of bugs eating my a** up all night, didn’t sound like a good time. Lol. I may look into a nest or the ultralight bivy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no issues going floorless. Saving the weight will not hurt my feelings at all. Was a little worried with the thoughts of bugs eating my a** up all night, didn’t sound like a good time. Lol. I may look into a nest or the ultralight bivy.

Trust me brother, I am absolutely 100% opposed to mosquitoes, or any other bug for that matter, buzzing and biting me at night. If these systems didn’t work for me, I would not be recommending them. Another option that may work equally as well, although you wouldn’t be able to stand up in it, would be a Seek Outside DCF Silex coupled with a bivy. You could do this for about 22 oz. all in (but using your trekking poles, instead of a designated pole), and it will also accommodate 6’6”. That would cut your sleep system down by almost 7 lbs., and take up considerably less space in your pack.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
If I went with a floorless tipi style would you go with the sky 5900 instead of the terminus?

If I went with a floorless tipi style would you go with the sky 5900 instead of the terminus?

Do you prefer to carry the meat in the main compartment of your bag, or in a load cell? What all are you going to be responsible for carrying besides just your normal personal items? How are you getting to where you’re going, ie., fly, horseback, 100% walk in from where you park a vehicle? If you are successful, how much of the meat load will you be responsible for carrying? I guess what I’m saying is, there’s a lot of unknowns for me to make a good informed suggestion. If your guide says that he likes to keep the weight around 35 lbs, then I’m assuming he’s talking about just your backpack weight? If that’s the case, he must be planning on carrying a lot of the other gear, and maybe he also has a packer to help with carrying a lot of the other gear? If all you’re required to carry is your sleep system (shelter, bag, and pad), clothes, food, toiletries, water, and misc. other smaller items/gear in your pack, then I would say you should easily be able to get just that stuff into a 5900 bag, and keep the weight around 35 lbs. This is also dependent on how long you plan on being in the field, and whether or not, you are having to pack everything for the hunt, 100% of the time that you are in the field.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Yeah, there’s a lot of variables that’s for sure. It’ll be 100% on foot, it’ll be 9 days total of hunting but he says to expect 2-5 days usually to get a goat. And could possibly be staying at some spike cabins depending on where the goats are. I’ve always packed out my elk with using the load shelf. I may just get both and do my training hikes and go with which one I like the best after some use.

schmalzy

WKR
Major SG fan here. Downside to the Terminus designs is you have to take meat volume into your capacity calculations.

For the Sky 5900, you've got 5900 cubic inches of gear space no matter how much meat you have in the load shelf. IDK where I heard it, but I think I remember hearing that a Stone Glacier load shelf has roughly a 2500 cubic inch volumetric capacity. So in the case of a Sky 5900, you have 8400 cubic inches of total load capacity in the system. 5900 in the bag layout, and 2500 in the load shelf.

You would have to jump to their new Terminus 8700 to get the same capacity, and then STILL worry about separating bloody cargo from non-bloody cargo.

I love me some SG, but I literally can't think of a reason why I would ever buy a Terminus system over their traditional bag on frame systems. Feels like going backwards in technology.

Main driver for me when I made the switch to the Terminus 7k was the 1 pound plus (was more like two pounds compared to xcurve with 7900) weight savings.

Happy I did. That being said the 8700 looks awesome.

I hear ya, but man you could sure shave a bunch of wt. if you went with something like a HMG Ultamid 2 or 4, coupled with a nest, if you thought bugs would be an issue. I pretty much only use tipi's anymore for all my mountain hunts, and even when sheep hunting in early/mid Aug. I've never had any issues with bugs (in AK anyway). I've done moose hunts in areas where it was pretty buggy and with a floorless tipi, the bugs always seemed to congregate up at the apex, so they were still not much of a problem. Another option if you didn't want to deal with a nest is to just use a UL wt. bivy, like a Borah Gear and clip it up inside the tipi to keep the netting off your face. My favorite set up for two people is an Ultamid 4 and BG bivy. Total wt. with bivy and including designated carbon fiber pole and all stakes is 51 oz. It offers a ton of room (including being able to stand up in) for two people, and is very storm worthy. Anyway, just a little food for thought.

Agree 100%. I’m such a huge HMG fan after running the Ultamid 4 that I bought the HMG Porter 5400 and Southwest 3400 packs. I’m almost convinced I could do a sheep hunt out of the Porter 5400 with a liner bag for meat. Their gear is expensive, but you’d be hard pressed to find better quality and purpose built gear. Wish I could convince them to do hunting packs - they’re just not interested unfortunately.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Sunce this is a guided trip you probably can get away with terminus, as it is more likely that your guide will be carrying more of the meat That being said a frame and bag pack will have more versatility in future hunts. 5900 wouldn’t be my pack of choice for a expedition hunt, I much prefer the 6400, 6900 or 7900 for that application.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Sunce this is a guided trip you probably can get away with terminus, as it is more likely that your guide will be carrying more of the meat That being said a frame and bag pack will have more versatility in future hunts. 5900 wouldn’t be my pack of choice for a expedition hunt, I much prefer the 6400, 6900 or 7900 for that application.
I’ve thought about that too. I’ve got more hunts in the future planned. Nothing in the 7-10 day area, but I was kinda thinking of just going big and being done with it.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve thought about that too. I’ve got more hunts in the future planned. Nothing in the 7-10 day area, but I was kinda thinking of just going big and being done with it.

Honestly a setup like a sg 6900 would serve you well, then if you find you aren’t using it after the hunt, sell the bag portion and get one more suited to you liking. If. You already have a Kifaru frame, then get a 6000-8000cu bag for it and rock on. There is no way I would be carrying a 8lb tent in august for just myself. I bet there are other parts of your hunting setup that can shed the weight to make up for the 1 or 2 lbs on a ul pack. Not to mention if your pack in uncomfortable you will be in for a world of misery.

Also a side note, make sure on a goat hunt that everything fits inside your pack. Anything strapped to the outside will soon be claimed by the alders.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Terminus on my SE AK goat hunt last season and it worked great. The guide and I split most everything and we carried about 40 lbs of meat each + 40 lb-ish camps/pack. Total pack weight was low 80s. Since it was an August hunt, I didn't keep the hide. I thought about it, but it wasn't a must and when I inventoried everything, it was going to be really difficult to add it to the pack without significant suck. A cape would have been manageable. but I prefer euro mounts these days and left that as well. I used a Kuiu Mountain Star 2 p tent. It looks like you would fit and would save you ~4.5lbs. Have a great hunt!

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping an older thread. Any additional feedback? I’ll primarily use this on late season mule deer back pack hunts and potentially rare sheep/goat hunts if I ever draw. I have an old 5500 pack that fills up fast when things get cold and it has no load shelf. Leaning towards the sky 7900 or terminus 8700. I tend to truck camp when elk hunting and have a separate day pack for that. Thanks all