SG Krux vs Xcurve vs MR Metcalf

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a new pack. I’ve never owned a high dollar pack so I thinking about getting one. I’ve narrowed it down to three: the new xcurve, krux, and Metcalf with the new ultralight frame.

The Metcalf and the krux seem to have a similar design with the flat back stays.

There is no place close to me to try them on and get fitted properly so I’m just going off of reviews and recommendations from SG and others.
I’m 5’7” with a shorter torso at 17.5 inches so according to SG that puts me automatically on the krux. If you read the reviews they are all over the place with people with short torsos going with xcurve and people with long torsos and curved backs going with krux.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Is there other packs that people would recommend? Trying to go as economical as possible so Going with SG as they offer a 15% prodeal and there older packs are also on sale but MR would be the obvious more budget friendly option.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m in the market for a new pack. I’ve never owned a high dollar pack so I thinking about getting one. I’ve narrowed it down to three: the new xcurve, krux, and Metcalf with the new ultralight frame.

The Metcalf and the krux seem to have a similar design with the flat back stays.

There is no place close to me to try them on and get fitted properly so I’m just going off of reviews and recommendations from SG and others.
I’m 5’7” with a shorter torso at 17.5 inches so according to SG that puts me automatically on the krux. If you read the reviews they are all over the place with people with short torsos going with xcurve and people with long torsos and curved backs going with krux.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Is there other packs that people would recommend? Trying to go as economical as possible so Going with SG as they offer a 15% prodeal and there older packs are also on sale but MR would be the obvious more budget friendly option.
1. Please edit your pro deal reference out of this post.

2. For the $ invested MR is great, but their evolution to their current pack form has been slow, and certainly not customer focused. The main differentiation with MR is high thickness but more narrow padding. If their frame, harness and belt work for you then you’ll be happy - it’s either “great” or it’s not with people it seems. They work best for shorter folks but I haven’t worn their latest frame to comment on load lifter angle there. I’ve always loved their stuff but it’s never been best for me under truly heavy loads.

3. I can tell you from a lot of experience with both SG frames that while the Krux’s stay profile may work for your back, with your height and torso you will be poked in the back of the head by the top of the stays, which bend back over the top of your shoulders a bit. It’ll be the bag that gets into the back of your head when looking uphill or laying out. It’s completely usable, but you’ll appreciate the head clearance of the Krux far more I’ll bet. If you don’t get good lumbar contact then contact them and they can help you out on setup.

4. Absolutely would consider checking out the K4 system. I’d 110% order one in vs getting a Krux AND x-curve in hand from SG. Just order the Krux and get a k4 coming. If you don’t want to rack up that kind of $ on the CC at least get the K4 frame and go through the setup video, and compare it holding a sandbag with the others. The nice thing with K4 is the stay height’s available - you’d a lot into 23.5” quite well. SG is 26” and I think MR is 25” but you may want to double check what MR lists.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Reading comparisons between SG and EXO K4 it appears that the nod goes to the EXO in comfort with hunting weight and with 60 plus weight. Also most claim it’s a better all around pack with a better frame. Some complaints of the SG frames barreling with weight due to lack of horizontal stays.

My experience is the Krux has more flex when over 60iah pounds. Xcirve is what I have used the past several seasons. It carries big loads well and runs well for day pack use. I have never had a reason to switch. It just plain works