SG Grumman Puffy Real World Temps and Layering

ljalberta

WKR
Merino longsleeve, touque, pants and maybe thin long underwear. Probably a 45*+ jacket with no sun and no wind for me and no activity for an hour+ time. Wind, sun, additional layers, etc can change it. Sounds like I might be colder on average than most.

No shot I’d sit there and be comfortable in base layers and this jacket with no activity below freezing for any decent amount of time.

Cormac

FNG
It's just one night, but I was able to test out the Grumman jacket...

I went up into the mountains and did some scouting yesterday afternoon, and spent the night in the woods. Below is a photo of the only clothing that went with me on the overnight trip.

.Can't remember the brand Lightweight Merino Socks from New Zealand (logos worn off)
.Firstlite Wick Bottoms (Full length version that they don't make anymore)
.Fjallraven Vidda Pro Venitilated Pants
.Outdoor Research Tradecraft Puffy Pants
.Firstlite Wick Hoody
.Patagonia R1 Air Hoody
.Stone Glacier Grumman
.Sherpa Lined Brimmed Beanie Hat
.Fingerless Merino Gloves

View attachment 703566

I sat static and glassed all evening until dark. Got off the ridgeline and down into the woods cover to sit static while the temps dropped. While glassing up high, I was warm enough to not need the Grumman or Tradecraft pants much... I did throw the Grumman on at one point unzipped when the wind picked up as it was getting too dark to glass. It immediately came off for the quick hike down to where I slept.

While at "camp" I didn't make a fire on purpose so I could check the warmth of the coat. By the time it hit 10PM it was already down to the mid 40's and I was ready for the Grumman. I stayed up in it for another two hours perfectly warm and went to sleep.

Up at 4:00 the next morning and it was mid 30's. Sucked to get out of the bag and get the pack on but I hiked up to the glassing spot and was there well before first light.

I pretty much instantly needed the Grumman and Tradecraft pants while sitting static. Winds up top this morning were 6-8 MPH gusting to 15ish MPH. By 7AM it had warmed up to high 30's so for two hours I sat static in the dark and was completely comfortable. By 9 AM it was mid 40's and the pants came off and Grumman had to fully unzipped. By 11 AM it was 50 degrees and the winds died down a bit so the Grumman came off.

So far so good. Looking forward to some colder nights in Northern California to test it on next week. Lows are slated for 29-34 degrees and highs only up to the low 50's.

One more thing, if you want to be able to wear the hood and still have the jacket cover your lower back and top of ass while glassing SIZE UP. For the record, I am tall with a long torso and was warned by a buddy who is friends with Kurt at SG to size up. His advice was spot on for taller, long armed and long torso folks.
How do you like using the R1 air? Seems like an interesting build. How does it breathe and I’m guessing wind cuts right through it? Thanks

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How do you like using the R1 air? Seems like an interesting build. How does it breathe and I’m guessing wind cuts right through it? Thanks
The R1 Air always goes in the pack no matter the temps. Breathes very well. Wind does cut through it as designed.

Marshfly

WKR
I have the Grumman pants because they zip on and off but there are way, way better choices for tops. Choose exactly the fill you want with a Montbell or similar for the same or less money. The hunt brands are not the place to spend your money for down gear IMHO unless they have a specific feature you can’t get elsewhere.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the Grumman pants because they zip on and off but there are way, way better choices for tops. Choose exactly the fill you want with a Montbell or similar for the same or less money. The hunt brands are not the place to spend your money for down gear IMHO unless they have a specific feature you can’t get elsewhere.
Montbell is very mid grade, I have my Nunatak custom puffy for super cold hunts. I bought the Grumman for not as cold hunts and general purpose, don’t care if I beat the crap out of it. Very impressed in the little usage so far. I’m going to roll with this coat over the LPP this season and see how it does. I’ll let you know, as I am also known for being quite anti “hunt brand clothing”.

Where you headed to hunt these ways in August and what are ya going after? Grumman has always done me well over here- just kicking myself that I got the Grey one cause it shines too much and it's something I don't want to buy again in a different colour cause of the price haha

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Where you headed to hunt these ways in August and what are ya going after? Grumman has always done me well over here- just kicking myself that I got the Grey one cause it shines too much and it's something I don't want to buy again in a different colour cause of the price haha
August trip got delayed until October as I’m going for work and sneaking in a few days to hunt. Hoping for Tahr.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montbell is very mid grade, I have my Nunatak custom puffy for super cold hunts. I bought the Grumman for not as cold hunts and general purpose, don’t care if I beat the crap out of it. Very impressed in the little usage so far. I’m going to roll with this coat over the LPP this season and see how it does. I’ll let you know, as I am also known for being quite anti “hunt brand clothing”.
Literally over the kifaru or instead of?
The other colors are just as shiny from what I’ve seen in store.

Ah you'll be sweet in October- but weather can roll in at any time here, often chucking down heaps of rain or wind so I always try and take puffy jacket and bottoms and rain gear just to be on the side of caution.

Ahh thats a shame about the shine, I'm not bothered from a killing animals perspective really, just hate looking down at it haha