Sewing Machine Reccomendations

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
22510bd24501240f4b0f0796d4e0408c.jpg

9fcae1042bbbaa137007ebfc9dbbeefd.jpg

Can confirm. Machines mounted flush have been a legitimate game changer for my work flow.
How do you like that Fabricator?

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been using one for 2 years. I love the auto bobbin winder, and it punches through 1/8" HDPE with stacks of webbing. Also handles 1/2" XPE foam with 2 layers of fabric and 3 layers of webbing. Definitely a beast.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
When I was trying to find a sewing machine I looked around for quite a while for a used machine and didn't have any luck. I bought a new singer 4452 for 200 and have been happy with it. My thinking is that if I can ever wear the thing out, it was only 200 bucks. If it only lasts 10-20 years then I can decide if I want another one or upgrade then. I needed to start somewhere and I have been very happy so far!

For me, its not so much the fabric that is the issue. I haven't had any fabrics (waxed canvas, cordura, duck cotton) that a household machine couldn't handle. What sucks is when you're adding webbing and zippers. I found a Rex with Zig Zag stitch. It's similar to a knock-off Sailrite and can use some their after market components. I have to admit though, I'm not thoroughly in love with it yet. I'm gonna be taking it to a sewing machine shop to see if I can get it set up properly. It sews webbing and leather easily, but doesn't like to feed it.
Those Rex machines are notoriously finicky and less well built than Thompsons or sailrites so if the shop can't help you might just cut bait

czscout

FNG
The old Singer 431 series were, still are some of the best all round machines ever made. There are many in excellent shape for cheap at auctions and garage sales, plus lot's of spare parts/accessories to be had on online. They can be tuned up/rebuilt almost indefinitely- something that can't be done with most new machines.

BOGART08

FNG
serving my needs for the last 25 yrs give or take....gear repairs/modifications some upholstery work

SINGER INDUSTRIAL 241-2​

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Also have a 4452, and am mostly OK with it...sometimes it struggles with multiple layers of webbing. I would not say it's my "forever" machine...but I have built several complex packs, stuff sacs, some clothing, a tarp and even a small tent on it.

Oltmann

FNG
I recently picked up an older table mounted brothers. Retrofitted with a new motor. Has reverse, and after re-timing it, I think it's going to be good. My only question is, is it heavy duty enough for sewing packs and webbing?

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_191926408.jpg
    PXL_20230304_191926408.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 17

andersson

FNG
Great suggestions above; here's another. Contact any smokejumper base and ask them. Those guys SEW PARACHUTES and gear bags all the time and they are experts. They can tell you about machines and sources.

I recently picked up an older table mounted brothers. Retrofitted with a new motor. Has reverse, and after re-timing it, I think it's going to be good. My only question is, is it heavy duty enough for sewing packs and webbing?

I think most certainly so. I use something very similar (Brother TZ1-B652) and I use it to make holsters, sometimes going through 4 layers of milspec webbing, a layer of cordura, and a layer of industrial hook. That'll stack somewhere around 1/4" thick, maybe 3/8" thick.

Oltmann

FNG
I think most certainly so. I use something very similar (Brother TZ1-B652) and I use it to make holsters, sometimes going through 4 layers of milspec webbing, a layer of cordura, and a layer of industrial hook. That'll stack somewhere around 1/4" thick, maybe 3/8" thick.
That's encouraging. This is the DB2-B735-5. Does yours have a walking foot? Mine doesn't.

That's encouraging. This is the DB2-B735-5. Does yours have a walking foot? Mine doesn't.

Nope, drop feed is what I think it's called. So just the feed dogs move the material, no help from the needle or anything else.

I have a triple feed industrial walking foot that I use for the heaviest stuff (like 1/8" HDPE), but it doesn't have reverse, so that's why I mostly use the Brother.

Oltmann

FNG
Nope, drop feed is what I think it's called. So just the feed dogs move the material, no help from the needle or anything else.

I have a triple feed industrial walking foot that I use for the heaviest stuff (like 1/8" HDPE), but it doesn't have reverse, so that's why I mostly use the Brother.
Excellent, that sounds the same. I also think I have the aftermarket foot and plate that are just a little larger than the second(original ?) set.

What size needle and thread do you normally use for holsters?

I typically use V-69 or V-92, I kinda go back and forth depending on color (I expect performance to be equal for my needs). I'd have to check but #18 or #20 needle. I like the Groz-Beckert.

Oltmann

FNG
This machine came with a selection of needles, with the largest being 16 and 18s. So I bought v-69 thread, sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks!