Sevr 2" Kinetic Energy

judders87

FNG
I'm looking to try out the Sevr 2" for whitetails this fall. I've heard you need to have a lot of kinetic energy for them to deploy correctly at least for 2". I just want to make sure my set up would be good for them.

My current set up
29" draw
65 lbs
630 grain arrow

I normally shoot fixed because this is my elk set up and have gotten only full pass throughs. I'm leaning towards mechanical for whitetails because I lost one last year (marginal shot) and don't want them to go far (only 40 acre parcel). Just want a bigger wound channel. My cousin shot with a Sevr and I was really impressed with the wound. Think I should be good with my set up but just want some weigh in. TIA

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
With your draw length and especially arrow weight, you should have plenty of momentum. I personally would not have any concerns about using a 2" mechanical on whitetail with your setup.

That's gonna blow through anything. With that much arrow weight, I'd honestly look into the G5 mega meats instead. Momentum is gonna push that sucker through anything, and the mega meat hole is insane.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have 28.5", 75lbs, 550 grain arrow and have used the Sevr on a whitetail (marginal penetration maybe like 5", but hit the front side leg just below the shoulder blade knuckle, got the the heart and the buck died in 40 yards) and a mule deer (full pass through mid lung, and only hit one rib). I watched a buddy shoot an antelope and break both front legs with a Sevr 1.5 and his draw and arrow weight is substantially less that mine.

I have been happy with Sevr and will continue to use them for whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn but I have had incredible luck with the Iron Wills on elk so it will take a lot for me to ever switch to mechanical for those.