Sevr 2.0 review on AB Cow Moose

Xavier

FNG
This is my first experience with Sevr and I must say I’m impressed. I usually shoot fix blades and have always been wary of mechanicals. However, the Sevr broadheads caught my interest with its pivoting heads. And when I did more research on them. I was impressed. So I ordered some and put a couple in my quiver. I had put two in there with the intent to shoot a meat doe. Well, that never happened. Fast forward to the last Sunday of the season. I had been playing a cat and mouse game with a cow moose. So when I got the opportunity to shoot my cow at 55 yards. I went with my go to fixed blade. I released the arrow and it went right under the cow. All I did was shave some hair off. She jumped about 10 yards and stood broadside slightly quartering away. I grabbed another arrow and figured what the hell and try this Sevr. Arrow hit and took off. I found the arrow, awesome blood. She ran about 150 yards and died.

Attachments

• 77940FBD-8700-44D5-869B-EFE9373A96A7.png
    77940FBD-8700-44D5-869B-EFE9373A96A7.png
    864.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 61139500-3258-4F1A-9D49-541368622198.png
    61139500-3258-4F1A-9D49-541368622198.png
    845.3 KB · Views: 135
  • ECEA6FAE-600B-4DBE-B616-64D96A2FE1CA.jpeg
    ECEA6FAE-600B-4DBE-B616-64D96A2FE1CA.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 147
  • F0D2E83E-A642-45EE-86DF-DA16B26B1953.jpeg
    F0D2E83E-A642-45EE-86DF-DA16B26B1953.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 151
First, congrats on the full freezer! Way to go!

I can't tell if you hit a rib or not, looks like it might have, and I assume that is the entry hole? Head looks perfect. Pass through? Arrow weight and velocity, bow draw weight and draw length?

Always interested in arrow/broadhead/bow performance on bigger critters.

OP
Xavier

Xavier

FNG
First, congrats on the full freezer! Way to go!

I can't tell if you hit a rib or not, looks like it might have, and I assume that is the entry hole? Head looks perfect. Pass through? Arrow weight and velocity, bow draw weight and draw length?

Always interested in arrow/broadhead/bow performance on bigger critters.
Thank you.

This is my set up for this bow.

Draw length 29 inches

Draw weight 76lbs

Kenetic energy 89.9 lbs

Speed 304

Arrow weight 436.7 grains

It was a full pass through. Slid right between the ribs. Cutting a lung in half and going through the liver out the other side.

Read1t48

WKR
Congrats!
Definitely higher poundage, KE, and bow speed than many on this forum.

I carried Sevr’s all season but stuck with a fixed blad when it can time to send one. Like you, the Sevr will be a back up for a longer shot, ideally a follow-up.

S.Clancy

WKR
Thank you.

This is my set up for this bow.

Draw length 29 inches

Draw weight 76lbs

Kenetic energy 89.9 lbs

Speed 304

Arrow weight 436.7 grains

It was a full pass through. Slid right between the ribs. Cutting a lung in half and going through the liver out the other side.
My setup is identical KE wise and I have no probs with SEVRs. People need to be aware that even tho mechanical broadhead technology has gotten better, you still need big KE to feel confident with them.

Also, congrats on the moose, meat rich!

OP
Xavier

Xavier

FNG
My setup is identical KE wise and I have no probs with SEVRs. People need to be aware that even tho mechanical broadhead technology has gotten better, you still need big KE to feel confident with them.

Also, congrats on the moose, meat rich!
Agreed. If i was shooting a lower poundage and draw length. Id be shooting that heavier arrow with 2 bladed fixed.

That being said. I might increase my arrow weight by 25 and put that 125 gr fixed/sevr up front. We will see.

jmillo

FNG
Any mechanical broadhead is a gamble with lower KE. I’ve never had a failure with a rage hypodermic. But I shoot from 70-88lbs, plenty of energy.

Northpark

WKR
Agreed. If i was shooting a lower poundage and draw length. Id be shooting that heavier arrow with 2 bladed fixed.

That being said. I might increase my arrow weight by 25 and put that 125 gr fixed/sevr up front. We will see.
I’m shooting a slightly lower poundage bow (69lbs) with the same 29” draw, but I’m shooting a 550gr arrow with a 125gr sevr 2.0 up front with a 75gr brass insert. I’m planning on shooting an Aoudad ewe in February with it if I can get close enough. I’ll post an update if I kill with that setup.

OP
Xavier

Xavier

FNG
I’m shooting a slightly lower poundage bow (69lbs) with the same 29” draw, but I’m shooting a 550gr arrow with a 125gr sevr 2.0 up front with a 75gr brass insert. I’m planning on shooting an Aoudad ewe in February with it if I can get close enough. I’ll post an update if I kill with that setup.
What arrow are you shooting????
Love to see pictures and how it performs. I assume it will blow right through it.

I arrowed a big bodied 39-5/8” bull moose in far NW Alberta this fall. Shot him with a 3-blade 1.5” NAP original Spitfire. Centered a rib (broadhead cut it in two) on the way in, penetrated to the far side on a broadside shot. My specs are 65# bow, 29-3/8” draw, 475 gr arrow (Easton 330 Carbon Injexion) @ 272 fps for 78 ft-lbs energy. Shot was 40 yards and that was about how far the bull made it before crashing. The blood trail was excellent.

Last edited:
OP
Xavier

Xavier

FNG
I arrowed a big bodied 39-5/8” bull moose in far NW Alberta this fall. Shot him with a 3-blade 1.5” NAP original Spitfire. Centered a rib (broadhead cut it in two) on the way in, penetrated to the far side on a broadside shot. My specs are 65# bow, 29-3/8” draw, 475 gr arrow (Easton 330 Carbon Injexion) @ 272 fps for 78 ft-lbs energy. Shot was 40 yards and that was about how the bull made it before crashing. The blood trail was excellent.
Congrats on the Bull man. Gotta love archery season for Moose in Alberta. North of GP? The last moose I took with the bow a few years ago. Same result, wasp hammer 100gr smashed through a rib and broke through the opposite shoulder blade at 20 yards. Double lung, and dropped right there.

Northpark

WKR
What arrow are you shooting????
Love to see pictures and how it performs. I assume it will blow right through it.
Shooting 300 spine Easton 5mm axis arrows cut to 29” with three tac driver vanes, a 75gr Easton brass insert, and the 125gr sevr 2.0. The shoot really well but I haven’t gotten to kill anything with them yet.

Read1t48

WKR
Since we’re on the subject, what is the appropriate/adequate KE number for a mechanical like a Sevr for big game?

My KE for current set up is 62 ft/#’s
I’ve always used a fixed blade. Didn’t think my KE was adequate for a mechanical on elk sized animals.

OP
Xavier

Xavier

FNG
Since we’re on the subject, what is the appropriate/adequate KE number for a mechanical like a Sevr for big game?

My KE for current set up is 62 ft/#’s
I’ve always used a fixed blade. Didn’t think my KE was adequate for a mechanical on elk sized animals.
I would say once you hit that 80+ for KE. You should be good. That being said it’s always better to use a fix blade vs a mechanical. If you ever have any doubts. I used this Sevr. As a follow up shot arrow. As I’ve never seen what it could do in person on a big game animal like a moose. And it blew straight threw it. I now feel confident myself to use it for elk or moose. As a primary arrow. But that’s just me and I’m not saying mechanicals are better than fixed. I’ve only shot fixed blades up to this year and they have taken everything from WT to Moose for me. And almost all the outfitters I know around here require you to use fixed blades on Moose and Elk.

dwhicker

FNG
I would say once you hit that 80+ for KE. You should be good. That being said it’s always better to use a fix blade vs a mechanical. If you ever have any doubts. I used this Sevr. As a follow up shot arrow. As I’ve never seen what it could do in person on a big game animal like a moose. And it blew straight threw it. I now feel confident myself to use it for elk or moose. As a primary arrow. But that’s just me and I’m not saying mechanicals are better than fixed. I’ve only shot fixed blades up to this year and they have taken everything from WT to Moose for me. And almost all the outfitters I know around here require you to use fixed blades on Moose and Elk.

How does one figure out what their KE is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod-it

FNG
How does one figure out what their KE is?

Most just use a calculator. You need to know your arrow speed and weight.
I like the Western Whitetail calculators. Just google, "arrow kinetic energy calculator".

dwhicker

FNG
Most just use a calculator. You need to know your arrow speed and weight.
I like the Western Whitetail calculators. Just google, "arrow kinetic energy calculator".

Thanks a bunch!