September Truck must haves

Weldor

WKR
Bottle, when it doesn't tip over and leak it's oil out.

I don't have anywhere on my pickup to lift with a high lift, other than the wheels.
High lift works as a come a long too. or pull that tree out off the road or trail. Handy for sure.

Weldor

WKR
You need a snatch cord. Don't use a tow rope for recovery and definitely don't use a chain. You need a cord that will stretch and serve a dynamic function.

Battery jumper such as a NOCO mentioned above. Don't use jumper cables on/between newer vehicles unless its absolutely necessary as you can cause electrical damage.

Multimeter is always a good idea so you can field diagnose batteries, alternator etc -at least know what kind of potential problems you may be dealing with.

Never a bad idea to leave some rodent repellent in your engine bay when parked at a TH or out in the backcountry especially if you have a newer vehicle with soy based electrical wiring. The warmth of the engine bay can also attract rodents, though.

Mechanics bailing wire can be used to Macgyver a number of problems as can zipties.
Repels-all spray works good for keeping critters out from under your truck, I spray the wheel wells and engine compartment. Worth every penny. Friends new Ram just got ate up on a camping trip. Dash board looked like a christmas tree.

High lift works as a come a long too. or pull that tree out off the road or trail. Handy for sure.
Did that one time. The juice was not worth the squeeze. Yeah it worked but it wasn't fun.

Trees over the road get cut with the saw or drug with the truck/winch. The high lift lives in the offroad trailer anymore.

Milwaukee m18 1/2 inch high torque should break anything on a 1/2 ton free I would think, but breaker bar takes up little room.
Take the breaker bar. Few guys doing tire work are good at it. They use pneumatic tools as well. They tighten the lug nut till they won’t move. A 1/2” Milwaukee battery impact will not break lugs that over tightened by a pneumatic impact.

Randle

WKR
I picked a silky 500 to carry in the truck, after talking with mtwarden. compact ,no smell ,no leaks. Just eat a few snacks drnk some water and go to work.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked a silky 500 to carry in the truck, after talking with mtwarden. compact ,no smell ,no leaks. Just eat a few snacks drnk some water and go to work.

When (probably not an if with the progress they're making w/ batteries) they come out with an electric chainsaw that sawyers are actually buying—I'll make the switch back to a chainsaw :D

Agree w/ Poser, do not use a tow a rope (or a chain) for pulling someone out (or for someone pulling you out)- you definitely want a snatch strap, make it a longer one.

I don't have a winch on my truck, but I have one of these; not you're average cumalong

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/67113/15122/wyeth-scott-more-power-puller-amsteel-blue-rope

Our department would not equip or work trucks w/ winches for some damn reason; got all my guys one of these for their truck—we made quite a few impressive recoveries with them.

Gseith

WKR
Amen to the breaker bar. Last fall, had to jump up and down on the tire wrench that came with my Jeep Wrangler Sport S to get the lug nuts loose. Thank goodness I had found a rather level spot to change the tire.
I also take a length of pipe to fit over the breaker bar for extra leverage. I have fought with more than one lug nut that was over torque.

TaperPin

WKR
I always take a code reader that will read live data (engine temp, o2 sensor output, voltage, fuel pressure, etc). A friend had her newish car fail to start at the Target parking lot with no check engine light or code. I didn’t know anything about that year/make/model, but the live data showed an engine temp much higher than it should have - obviously the temp sensor was bad and the computer was injecting fuel as if it was hot, which was too lean to fire the cold engine. Unplugging the sensor put the engine into some default mode with a check engine light, but it started. Had this been some trailhead in the middle of nowhere, best case it could have ruined a few days of fun. Just the cost of a tow two hours from town and simple diagnosis will buy a new rifle.

IDVortex

WKR
This will be in my truck come hubting season, and all the way through winter too most likely.

Kinetic rope for recoveries, chain saw with a 20-24 in bar (looking at a Amazon 36in saw because I'm not a logger or with property so don't need a stihl for everyday use), fuel, getting a battery jumper pack, and heavy duty truck chains (not the les schwab-Walmart style, big rig style) with extra cross links and such, first aid, a bottle jack, and a high lift. My Milwaukee HO ½ impact, sockets and wrenches, battery powered light, jumper cables, 2 shovels, a flat and spade.

That's it. I can think of.