Sept elk hunt

Not sure what you are carrying or wearing to start with? In general Colorado high country weather can and does change quickly. I think you will want a puffy and light long johns.

Good luck
PM if you have questions?

Thanks guy! I guess I’ll check the weather and make a game time decision when I leave the truck!!

Oz for oz from a warmth/performance standpoint, I'd rather carry the puffy layers than long underwear. I find long underwear are useless for me once I start moving for the day. Especially in September.

No long/insulated underwear, I just bring two different levels of merino base layers - one light and one heavy, rarely use the heavy. I always have a puffy jacket compressed in my day pack. I have appreciated it several times when temps on the mountain suddenly take a sharp dip or when I'm set up somewhere for the evening. It can get pretty chilly sitting there, especially with a stiff breeze. Its really nice knowing I can break out the puffy and be pretty toasty. I have a First Lite Cirrus jacket. Compresses down small, super basic and light, but does the job. I don't think they carry that one anymore?

Base layers and a puffy. Have used them every year since early 90s in September in the elk woods of CO. As others have already noted, weather can change here very quickly. Leaving them in your truck could be a big mistake if you are bivy camping for a few days.

I’ve never used insulated underwear for sept elk. I have contemplated bringing my lightest pair (of pants only) for sleeping in, but I usually just crawl in the bag with my light weight pants and base layer hoody.

I always bring a puffy. Those temps can drop fast after dark. And it’s real nice to have the puffy for those first 10 minutes or so out of the sleeping bag in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on where and what altitude you'll be at. At around 12k feet in September (Colorado), I've been sun burned and sweating at 85 degrees, and just the year prior dumped about 2-3 feet of snow over a couple days in the same spot. I would never pack in somewhere without at least a puffy and rain jacket (as a few others have already said on this thread).

Wet and cold is a deadly combination anywhere, let alone packed in away from help in the Rocky mountains...

At 9,500 feet it's raining, at 10,500 feet it can be snowing 3-6". The mountains are not forgiving and you must be prepared. Especially if you are out backpacking. In 8 years of Archery Elk at 10,400 elevation I have encountered snow, in September, four of the 8 years. I have encountered rain /sleet/hail/snow in 8 of 8 years.

Last edited:
9596c45e2ec7466deda290db478af5a3.jpg

Yep, this is early September in CO

I always have my winter kit in the truck in Montana. Lots of times the hunt starts warm on labor day weekend but it'll turn cold in the mornings and nights as the hunt goes into week 2.

Would it be necessary to carry insulated underwear and puff layer on a CO elk hunt Sept 16-25? Trying to lighten my pack a little but don’t want to leave necessary things behind!
Probably just an additional layer of clothing will suffice

I have been looking at historical average weather for northern Colorado and trying to decide on full rain gear vs just tops. Having never hunted colorado I don't know what to expect. Do you guys run full rain gear or just tops?

Back