Separating Muzzy and Archery in Colo..

Would you rather wear orange in archery or separate out muzzy season?

• I choose to separate muzzy and rifle seasons from archery

• I choose to wear hunter orange in archery

Results are only viewable after voting.

ColoradoV

WKR
With a decision upcoming at the wildlife commission meeting coming up in a couple weeks I historically thought that the working relationship between muzzy and archery worked but with the rising level of extreme crowding in many places I am evolving my opinion to think that it would be best to separate archery and muzzy as well as rifle seasons for a host of reasons. If memory is correct there has been 2 deaths recently as well as quite a few more close calls and it is clear the cpw commission will act. I guess we are past the part where you can trust the other hunter to know their target and the deaths confirm that this is a true statement.

So we will either get hunter orange for archery guys or moving muzzy out of archery..... Talking to folks inside the cpw process this much is clear.

I think the best outcome for the most folks would be to return archery to its 30+ year historical start date or a week earlier - then run muzzy after archery is finished. If this is not acceptable I would be open to a split season again with archery returning to opening earlier or more of a historical opening then close archery for muzzy and rifle then re open for the final 2 weeks.

On the surface I think separation will significantly reduce crowding and save lives it would be a change but the best hunters can adapt and I think it would actually help hunting in Colorado.

Fair to say it is going to go one of 2 ways so what say you do you want separate seasons or we get hunter orange in archery?

Last edited:
I'm sure this will be a hugely unpopular opinion but I think muzzleloader, rifle, and maybe even archery tags should require a signficantly higher level of certification than just a hunters safety course, including the addition of a proficiency test with your chosen weapon. Splitting seasons or adding orange requirements doesn't address the underlying issue that you have negligently stupid people going out onto public land and shooting at movement.

Do I have any confidence that a state agency in a state like Colorado could come up with a certification and test that meant anything and wasn't just a money making scheme? Absolutely not. But one can dream.

Chad E

WKR
I just want to point out that the two choices you have outlined have multiple different potential scenarios that would cause me to flip flop my vote. Initially I'd be against wearing orange but if the proposal significantly shortened bow season to separate the seasons and I only had to wear orange during the overlap id be inclined to support that vs a short season.

Poser

WKR
Multiple thoughts:

Splitting archery into 2 two week segments wouldn’t receive any opposition from me. Too many people hunting for a month straight is part of the overcrowding issue during sept.

Archery hunters wearing Orange would possibly reduce the flatbills? I mean you can’t look cool on IG archery hunting in Orange. Would also possibly be the push needed to get finally some functional Orange clothing options out of our obtuse-when-it-comes-to-this-subject hunting brands.

Mzl tags for residents only (no NR Mzl tags). Wishful, but make this tag a bit more exclusive and special as opposed to the “short cut” to archery hunting that so many people seem to think it is. Throw the residents a bone: “here is something that is only for you.” This move alone would probably resolve a good bit of the conflict and complaints archery hunters have.

***eliminate archery season altogether and give it to the bear hunters where is rightfully belongs. With no more slack jaw, soyboys who like to play with toys clogging the woods, September will be a month of righteous glory.

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
I have heard that they are open to starting earlier than sept 2..

As even the cpw sees that moving archer later is one reason all the seasons got pushed back.. They will not mess w the quiet time so the only option is elimination of a week or starting early... Of thoes 2 - I take starting early or archery could well loose a week.

They are getting a ton of push back on the late season dates and moving archery earlier is the only way to move back all the seasons....

Split archery to 2 seasons, early and late. Tag quotas for each. Specify early or late archery when buying OTC tags. Early archery 8/24-9/7, Muzzy 9/8-9/15, Late Archery 9/16-9/30.

^^^^^

Been saying this for years......

Archery -OTC/LE Early, OTC/LE Late.

I would love that.

I hate dealing with muzzleloader hunters. I would rather sacrifice hunting dates than deal with them. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

When I drew my LE Archery Elk tag there was just WAY too much pressure IMHO between the bear hunters, deer hunters, and elk hunters. Bow, Muzzleloader, gun... Nobody was very happy about it and it showed on everyone's faces. lol

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
So, what would we do about the September rifle season for bear & the high country mule deer season?

I would tend to lean towards separating the seasons. The amount of archery hunters during the muzzleloader season is crazy. The amount of archery hunters period is crazy in OTC units.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Multiple thoughts:

Splitting archery into 2 two week segments wouldn’t receive any opposition from me. Too many people hunting for a month straight is part of the overcrowding issue during sept.

Archery hunters wearing Orange would possibly reduce the flatbills? I mean you can’t look cool on IG archery hunting in Orange. Would also possibly be the push needed to get finally some functional Orange clothing options out of our obtuse-when-it-comes-to-this-subject hunting brands.

Mzl tags for residents only (no NR Mzl tags). Wishful, but make this tag a bit more exclusive and special as opposed to the “short cut” to archery hunting that so many people seem to think it is. Throw the residents a bone: “here is something that is only for you.” This move alone would probably resolve a good bit of the conflict and complaints archery hunters have.

***eliminate archery season altogether and give it to the bear hunters where is rightfully belongs. With no more slack jaw, soyboys who like to play with toys clogging the woods, September will be a month of righteous glory.
There are a few guys that hunt 28 days straight, but I think there are a lot more of the 1 week and done guys. Especially nonresidents. Split the season into 2 and you’re going to put a ton more guys into the woods. The total hunt days will skyrocket.

If Colorado were to split the LE tags to early and late that would be one of the most interesting first draws in history and a guy would be crazy not to jump in that year for a high point unit. You might just get very lucky! lol

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
That 61 season is a unique season and from what I hear they will keep the quiet time overall w a couple exceptions of course.

The cpw is feeling the pushback from a lot of hunters as most feel the seasons are too late and the only way is to move archery back to its 30 year historic date.

Bottom line is no matter what is decided someone is going to feel slighted. Cant make everyone happy and its all a good hypothetical conversation.